Apple Tree Identification and Grafting

ChadHable

Yearling... With promise
I planted some apple trees last year and now that those are still alive my wife's uncle wants help grafting the apple tree in the front yard at the family homestead. The tree is starting to show its age and I'm not sure how long it will survive due to damage from storms the past few years. I've started read articles and watching YouTube videos about grafting but I'm at the stage where I would like to place an order for rootstock for next spring. The problem is I'm not sure what type of apple tree this is and thus not sure what would be a good rootstock to continue the longevity of this tree. There are no other apple trees around it so I'm assuming its self-pollinating. Any idea what type of apple this could be? (Photos were taking on 7/28/21

My current plan is to purchase some rootstock from Cummins Nursery and right now I'm looking at either the M.890 or M.969. I do plan on fencing in the new tree but due to high deer density I'm thinking a half-standard tree will be more beneficial. Is M.890 or M.969 the rootstock I should be using?

Any additional information anyone would like to pass along, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
Chad

Attachments

• IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    337.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 11
G.890 or G.969 would be ok choices. those are the largest of the Geneva rootstock series. You could also look at M111, B118, or P18. All those give large trees. Every rootstock has advantages and disadvantages and the “best” choice is subjective.

YouTube videos are a great way to learn grafting. Graft a few to give yourself enough chances to get a take. Good luck.

No one can say for sure what that apple variety is by just looking at it, but if I had to make a choice and stake my life on it, I would say a Grimes Golden. Do some research on ripening time in your area for Grimes Golden and other qualities of the cultivar. You might find that is it.

Last edited:
If the tree is getting to the end of it's life, graft it onto 6 rootstocks, if for no other reason than to extend its life so you have future opportunities to graft it.