Your best fall mix?

Robert86

5 year old buck +
Looking ahead to fall already, what do you all plant? Any mixes you guys like? I'm going to plant winter rye just looking to spice it up. Any suggestions would be great!

White perennial clover and wheat. I have planted pretty much everything that will grow in the south and some that wont. Nothing easier than wheat and clover and nothing attracts more deer than wheat and clover - on my ground.

Clover, Chicory and oats with and overseed of rye is my go too. I usually end up throwing in some PTT but they don't usually eat that much until late winter/spring for me.

Rye,oats,radishes,turnips. Oats are gone shortly after a few good frosts but the rest is there if they want it. This is on top of the clover and chicory that I always keep going because the deer like it and it's easy.

Depends on where you are located. For me, I like spring planted ag beans over seeded with rye and berseem clover. If it was just a green plot for attraction my go to would be Berseem Clover, Winter Rye, Sun Flowers, Tillage Radish, and Chicory. ( Not sure how much growth you would see out of fall planted Chicory however )

Mixed clovers, rye grain, with some Groundhog radishes & PTT thrown in.

Overseed in early August with red white clover. This will start its germination and growth. It will scavenge nitrogen from the air. Then in early Sept overseed 100 lbs/acre of WR. This will germinate and the young shoots will provide fall cold weather food. Both the above will then green up in early spring proving food, fawn cover, and nitrogen for summer planting.

if you are considering turnips/radishes, Aug is too late to plant in the north. You will need to overseed early July if you want any bulb growth.

Note ... it would help to add your growing zone to your avatar name area or signature line.

Overseed in early August with red white clover. This will start its germination and growth. It will scavenge nitrogen from the air. Then in early Sept overseed 100 lbs/acre of WR. This will germinate and the young shoots will provide fall cold weather food. Both the above will then green up in early spring proving food, fawn cover, and nitrogen for summer planting.

if you are considering turnips/radishes, Aug is too late to plant in the north. You will need to overseed early July if you want any bulb growth.

Note ... it would help to add your growing zone to your avatar name area or signature line.

Not sure what zone I'm in, but I'm close to fond du lac wisconsin. 1 hour south of green bay.

I should mention that there are oats in the field now, they will be combined in mid August, after that I can plant whatever I want. I was kinda thinking rye, winter peas, tillage radishes and purple top turnips. I will be putting corn in next spring. Just looking for ideas.

I should mention that there are oats in the field now, they will be combined in mid August, after that I can plant whatever I want. I was kinda thinking rye, winter peas, tillage radishes and purple top turnips. I will be putting corn in next spring. Just looking for ideas.

Sounds like a good mix. I have tried peas and the deer destroyed them when they were 6"-7". Turnips/radishes need 60 growing days so they are a crap shoot because of rain reliability. I would throw in some red clover. Cheap and easy to grow.

Is this field rented to a farmer? Do they care if you plant anything like clover or rye that will be green and growing next spring then they go to plant the field to corn?

Brassicas like forage rape, turnips and radishes are pretty cheap per pound, so I'd add them to the mix as well. I've planted brassicas in SE MN in August and had decent results. You won't get the bulb size of July planted brassicas, but if you get timely rains you will still have some quality late season food.

Sounds like a good mix. I have tried peas and the deer destroyed them when they were 6"-7". Turnips/radishes need 60 growing days so they are a crap shoot because of rain reliability. I would throw in some red clover. Cheap and easy to grow.
Will red clover freeze out thru winter?

Is this field rented to a farmer? Do they care if you plant anything like clover or rye that will be green and growing next spring then they go to plant the field to corn?

Brassicas like forage rape, turnips and radishes are pretty cheap per pound, so I'd add them to the mix as well. I've planted brassicas in SE MN in August and had decent results. You won't get the bulb size of July planted brassicas, but if you get timely rains you will still have some quality late season food.
It's my field, my dad wanted to plant oats so he could mix it with his grain for beef calves. It doesn't matter if it greens up, I know the rye will. I'll go in with the no till and plant corn and spray with round up, in the spring.

Will red clover freeze out thru winter?

No. Medium red clover will hibernate in the winter and come back strong in the spring. I tend to only fall over seed with WR and MRC. Been a great reliable mix for fall and the following spring.

No. Medium red clover will hibernate in the winter and come back strong in the spring. I tend to only fall over seed with WR and MRC. Been a great reliable mix for fall and the following spring.
Ok. That sounds good

Rye, groundhog radish, crimson clover. Relatively cheap, simple, and works as well as anything else.

Crimson clover is only good to zone 6, we are in zone 5. I have tried it and had poor results. I am sure those in warmer climates have had better results.