Your best fall mix?

Lots of winter peas, a little oats, turnips, radish, med red clover, and fixation balansa clover early-mid august. Over broadcast rye in September.

My radish the last couple years have seemed to rarely get much more than finger diameter tubers. I put 2 exclusion cages up last year and one ended up with a big ass radish tuber, magnitudes larger than any other radish in the plot. I think they get browsed too heavily early on to get much tuber growth.

Last edited:
Skeeter,

Thats a good pic. Looks like a mule with her ears back.

Silver river clover?

Skeeter,

Thats a good pic. Looks like a mule with her ears back.

Silver river clover?
The radishes did really well that year, as did the japanese millet.

Durana/Ladino with chicory

In late june I broadcast sugar beets into first three rows of corn along woods
Do you get decent growth out of just broadcasting the sugar beets into corn like that? I have always been under the impression that the seed needs to be buried fairly deep and that it does not do well with the TNM or crimping techniques.

I thought sugar beats needed very shallow planting. Never tried them though

1-1.25" is ideal planting depth
Says 1/4" - 1/2"

Seed look small in the pics.

Yep, I overseed them usually late June. We tupically can have drought like conditions between 30-45 days in July/Aug. So hopefully late June rains get them kicked started.
Same here withe dry spells for about a month and a half. Correlates at the same time as the deer and horse flies. Planting the radish and turnips early gets them a good enough start to make it through the dry times. Other stuff growing along with the brassicas too helps to keep everything working together for a little shade and moisture retention. Chicory does well then with the deep roots.

Rain's been scarce in our camp's area the last couple July & August periods, too. We seed & hope. Summer thunderstorms can be so localized, and they seem to miss the camp too often. Rye & clover to the rescue!
Chicory is complimentary to that mix with the deep roots for dry times.

Do you get decent growth out of just broadcasting the sugar beets into corn like that? I have always been under the impression that the seed needs to be buried fairly deep and that it does not do well with the TNM or crimping techniques.
Yes, crazy thick like they were drilled in.

Same with radishes and turnips but deer will hardly touch those so I just do the beets. After first hard frost deer are all over them.

Yes, crazy thick like they were drilled in.

Same with radishes and turnips but deer will hardly touch those so I just do the beets. After first hard frost deer are all over them.
How many lbs per acre do you use? I broadcast some years ago but I have no idea if they even grew or if the deer ate them immediately. I can get them at a local amish store for a decent price but it's small quantities. I'll have to cage some this year and see if they actually grow. My deer eat turnips and radish but usually not until everything else is gone.

Says 1/4" - 1/2"
I wouldn't trust that but I guess if it is working what the heck. Any ag publication will tell you 1" and slightly deeper.

How many lbs per acre do you use? I broadcast some years ago but I have no idea if they even grew or if the deer ate them immediately. I can get them at a local amish store for a decent price but it's small quantities. I'll have to cage some this year and see if they actually grow. My deer eat turnips and radish but usually not until everything else is gone.
I’m not sure I just fill my chest spreader and walk the rows while fiddling it on.
With any kind of rain they will start fine and cover between rows good.
As soon as corn comes off they really jump.

I wouldn't trust that but I guess if it is working what the heck. Any ag publication will tell you 1" and slightly deeper.
The seed is awfully small for 1" depth. Have you ever planted them?

The seed is awfully small for 1" depth. Have you ever planted them?

Not with a drill but yes. I used to drive through hundreds of thousands of acres of them about once a month 15 years ago. Big business. They get drilled in and hand thinned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk