Women at camp during hunting season. Thoughts?

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
J-bird posted on another thread that guys need a place to hang with their buddies and just be guys. ( concerning having a separate cabin or " shack ". ) My camp had a few arguments by a few guys that wanted to have their wives be able to stay overnight during hunting season. I won't say just yet what I think about that. But I wanted to throw it out here to you guys to get a cross-country sampling of opinions.

Edit: Maybe I should have put this up in the General Discussion thread. Mods.?

I thoroughly enjoy hunting with my wife and daughters. They are welcome to share in deer camp and enjoy the experience.

It is a mistake to limit it to guys only.

(We guys have the camp to ourselves during mid week.)

Women at camp? Are you renting or looking to own?

actually I see it both ways. I can see a place for just the guys to be able to be guys. I also see a time when sharing the hunt with your significant other or daughters is fine as well. I would suggest posting/scheduling these dates to keep them apart if your camp is shared with others. This at least informs others ahead of time. Men tend to lower their standards of conduct around the boys and that may not be something the wife, girl friend or daughters may need to be around. I see no issue with either one, but secluding one or the other is not good, but leaving it wide open can cause tension that isn't needed. I would put my foot down regarding the decorating of the camp - this is no place for "a women's touch". It's deer camp - it's rough and rugged - that is part of the experience.

If my wife or daughter wanted to hunt with me I would make concessions in man behavior in order to enjoy the experience with them. Hunting that is part of family tradition over rides hunting with just the guys in my book. Lots of time for guys to be guys. I would agree with J bird though camp decor, if I had a camp, would be done by the guys!

I guess I should have mentioned that wives & daughters can hunt at my camp, but staying overnight has been off limits for over 50 years. ( during hunting season. ) And still is. We have 2 wives and one daughter that hunt with us during the day and eat with us as well.

I banned the womenfolk from rifle season last year. They spend plenty of time up north at the cabin but had different ideas than I did in regards to the itinerary for that week. Man rules during rifle week. No womenfolk.

Our place isn't really a camp like some have. I think some of the guys that hunt with us prefer no women to have some guy time. My wife hasn't been interested in staying at the "shack" that is in the project thread that I started. She prefers the cabin on the 40 that we own and it has electricity and full bathroom. She hasn't been interested in hunting yet, but she does own a bow now, so we'll see what she decides this year.

My sister has talked about hunting but doesn't really have the time recently. Maybe in the next couple years.

We have the shack, the cabin, and the main farm house that my parents live in. Somebody ends up staying in all of the spots depending on the season.

I am fine going up and hunting by myself. I currently like doing my own thing vs. how I grew up hunting.

Depends on the history of the camp. I know of a guy in a deer/duck camp that was purchased by a group of guys for guys. After many years of " guys" only tradition some wanted to make improvements to make it women friendly and have the wife's out. It caused quite a riff in the group. In that case I would side with the no women argument. In my case my wife announced a couple years ago that she wanted to play more of a role procuring our venison as she put it. I am a camp of one and more then happy to have her along. She still hasn't pulled the trigger yet ( not from lack of opportunity) but maybe someday. She sure is happy when I shoot one.

I banned the womenfolk from rifle season last year. They spend plenty of time up north at the cabin but had different ideas than I did in regards to the itinerary for that week. Man rules during rifle week. No womenfolk.
I let the women hunt with me as they get bigger deer than I do. It's humbling.

I let the women hunt with me as they get bigger deer than I do. It's humbling.

So now your talking about bigger deer. Gonna have to bring you in to the therapist soon Art. We have some issues you need worked out.

Our camp has over 20 members. The women can come to the cabin all year long and can stay overnight all that time except for deer hunting seasons ( archery & rifle ). The only restriction is no staying overnight during deer season. They can hunt - just not stay overnight. 99% of members are very local, so going home is no more than a 15 to 30 minute trip. My own wife and most of the others have no interest in staying there during deer season. A couple of the guys that want their wives to stay overnight have, shall we say, very strong-headed wives.

On an occasion during summer, one of these women took it on herself to clean the cabin bathroom ( nobody asked her to do it ). When a couple members came in from discing and harrowing food plots for planting, they wanted to take a shower. She scolded them and told them " Take a shower at home. I just cleaned that bathroom ! " Floral scented air fresheners, women's hair dye, flowered trinkets on the shelves and walls.

A couple of these women, when there together, always manage to get into cat fights. I guess to see who's gonna rule the roost. They try to out-boss each other and the men. The men get ridiculed about everything from why don't we put different color curtains up at the windows, to why do we put pans over THERE instead of over here. It's like we have mommies again. It's NOT relaxing.

NOW - what do you think of this situation??? Sound like a good hunting season scenario to you??? We are NOT changing our rules...... I just wanted to hear you guys' opinions.

Sounds like you are saving the hunting camp flavor for the future from weak men with crazy women

Tip my cap

Our camp has over 20 members. The women can come to the cabin all year long and can stay overnight all that time except for deer hunting seasons ( archery & rifle ). The only restriction is no staying overnight during deer season. They can hunt - just not stay overnight. 99% of members are very local, so going home is no more than a 15 to 30 minute trip. My own wife and most of the others have no interest in staying there during deer season. A couple of the guys that want their wives to stay overnight have, shall we say, very strong-headed wives.

On an occasion during summer, one of these women took it on herself to clean the cabin bathroom ( nobody asked her to do it ). When a couple members came in from discing and harrowing food plots for planting, they wanted to take a shower. She scolded them and told them " Take a shower at home. I just cleaned that bathroom ! " Floral scented air fresheners, women's hair dye, flowered trinkets on the shelves and walls.

A couple of these women, when there together, always manage to get into cat fights. I guess to see who's gonna rule the roost. They try to out-boss each other and the men. The men get ridiculed about everything from why don't we put different color curtains up at the windows, to why do we put pans over THERE instead of over here. It's like we have mommies again. It's NOT relaxing.

NOW - what do you think of this situation??? Sound like a good hunting season scenario to you??? We are NOT changing our rules...... I just wanted to hear you guys' opinions.
In that particular case...the woman folk need to be left home...and the sanity of some of your camp member checked..lol!

I grew up going to deer camp....it was a place women did not go...because they really didn't want to.

I would not want to be in a camp with 20 men. After 5 years of roommates in college, male and female, I found that men are just as likely to do the sh!t that people call women "crazy" for. No way I know 20 different guys that I would be willing to share a hunting camp with.

What do I think of that situation? Very reason why I have MY OWN Camp that has my name of the property tax statement!:eek:

Sucks for you guys you have a couple of Bitches to screw things up now and again!

Yup! And I would think that with 20 guys some of them would be just as much as some of the wives. Not something I would want to deal with when I am out there to enjoy myself.

So now your talking about bigger deer. Gonna have to bring you in to the therapist soon Art. We have some issues you need worked out.
What therapist would you recommend?? I've tried several but none of them agree with me.

Dark beer is cheaper and more effective!

I guess our camp is a little different. I have been on a deer lease since 1998 and my wife got on it in about 2001. We have had many women as members over the years and currently 3 of the 10 members are women. We haven't really had to do anything different other than I have to find and prepare hunting spots for 2 instead of just me now. I tend to try to put my wife in the best spots because I am more excited when she gets something than when I do. We did have to upgrade our deer camp camper but she bought the camper on her own and I just get the benefit of using it :)92714 truck and camper.jpg 92714 shelter and firepit.jpg

How can you be for hunter recruitment and against women/girls in deer camp?

As I get older, I see deer camp as more and more of a family tradition ... my wife and I spend opening gun weekend through Thanksgiving weekend at deer camp and many friends, family, and neighbors are all welcome. The guys go out and sit in the stands Thanksgiving morning while the gals are prepping turkey dinner & drinking mimosas ...

All is good!