Women at camp during hunting season. Thoughts?

I see it as simply trying to keep it as fun as possible. Some people regardless of gender are going to stir stuff up. Some folks just want it to be the guys and I can appreciate that. I can also appreciate wanting to have the wife and kids out as well. This is why I suggested scheduling the dates in an effort to keep both sides happy.

Just wanted to see a sampling of opinions. Most of the women don't hunt or want to be there - only a couple want to be there ( and they don't hunt either! ) and we think it's because they wear the pants in the family and have the hubbies on a short leash. One of them swears worse than ANY of us do and if she doesn't like something or someone - look out !! But ALL the wives are welcome at any other time during the year and we have some good picnics and such.

As I said earlier, we have 2 wives and 1 daughter that hunt with us at times and they're good at it. The one daughter was in the Army & can SHOOT !! While the guys are at camp, a lot of the wives get together and Christmas shop & have girls' nights out to dinner. They need their time like us guys need our "cabin time ". I just wondered what you guys would think of the ladies staying at camp. Thanks for the input. All opinions are welcome!!

Just had this conversation with Selsor. It has always been Bro's before Ho's at hunting camp. That is, until I met the sons new GF last night at that dance. I was informed she has her own Hoyt and killed her first buck last year with it. She moved to top of the list of who gets to hunt first and who doesn't.

Sorry Jordan, You seen the picture, she has legs up to her armpits!:D

Hahahah it's funny this got brought up after our conversation this morning! Hell now that Tiffney lakasky is chubby an pregnant their is an open slot in the outdoor industry! I could bring my wife up (brunet) who is also blessed with long legs like your blond future daughter in law. We could film them dropping big north mo bucks. B&B outdoors baby!!! (Blond&brunets)
This could be big! Lol

On a serious note
I think it's great to include the women in hunting camp BUT I also enjoy a guys weekend where I can cut up an act stupid with my buddies. If my wife wasnt cool with that she wouldn't be my wife anymore. On another note I encourage my wife to have girls weekends at the lake etc... just how we do things. Works for us

Thanks to the mods. - I guess this thread should have been posted HERE by me from the beginning !!

We have always had an unwritten rule in camp which precluded women. I love hunting and I have announced hundreds of times, only partly in jest, "if my wife took up hunting I would quite". Well, I now have two granddaughters, that my son would love to see take up hunting, so "Papa" may have to eat his words and keep his ideas to himself. I would love it if those granddaughters chose to join us at some point. Camp would change to be sure but certainly for the better.

My ole lady has more than held her fair share on the property investments, she wants to hunt and hang out with the boys she can. She brought home the bacon with her 140" 12 pointer on the shack gun pool, and I don't have any issue with that either.

We have always had an unwritten rule in camp which precluded women. I love hunting and I have announced hundreds of times, only partly in jest, "if my wife took up hunting I would quite". Well, I now have two granddaughters, that my son would love to see take up hunting, so "Papa" may have to eat his words and keep his ideas to himself. I would love it if those granddaughters chose to join us at some point. Camp would change to be sure but certainly for the better.
For the future of hunting, we need to welcome all women to hunting and that should include deer camp. That should include a big IF, they fit in, just like any other member of deer camp will be judged.

Camp will change and that is OK.

I grew up in a family where my Aunt and Mother both hunted. Maybe not on super cold days, but many days per season.

It's time to change, guys!

Funny how grand kids soften hearts ain't it. My oL man was pretty hard on me growing up. He is way more patient with my 3 boys. Just at a different point in his life I think. I think Mobuck needs a couple of grand daughters. He would be a big softy before you know it;)

Funny how grand kids soften hearts ain't it. My oL man was pretty hard on me growing up. He is way more patient with my 3 boys. Just at a different point in his life I think. I think Mobuck needs a couple of grand daughters. He would be a big softy before you know it;)
Yup, I know I sure am now that I've got twin granddaughters.;) It's always been hard for this grandpa to say no to the pretty ladies, and those two darlings have me wrapped around their little fingers already. Can't wait till Valentine's Day to go pick them up for the week!:D

I gave up the boy life during rifle season and kicked the boys to the curb and now have just my wife with me during rifle season. In a few years our kids will join us too.

Last edited by a moderator:
the difference between parents and grandparents. Parents, over worked, over stressed and just trying to do what needs done, raising kids isn't easy. Grandparents, retired, spoil the grandkids and then send them home and just trying to get into heaven!

My FIL never allowed women at camp during our 3 month season. That was a great escape for him as is wife is one of the crazies. Fast forward, we buy the camp next to him and have two daughters and that rule went right out the window. Now we are there every weekend all summer and a few during hunting season. He would rather hang with the kids than go hunting at this point. I hope I can keep my kids interested in plots, trees, and hunting because I would love to have them at camp hunting someday.

Last edited:
Our camp has over 20 members. The women can come to the cabin all year long and can stay overnight all that time except for deer hunting seasons ( archery & rifle ). The only restriction is no staying overnight during deer season. They can hunt - just not stay overnight. 99% of members are very local, so going home is no more than a 15 to 30 minute trip. My own wife and most of the others have no interest in staying there during deer season. A couple of the guys that want their wives to stay overnight have, shall we say, very strong-headed wives.

On an occasion during summer, one of these women took it on herself to clean the cabin bathroom ( nobody asked her to do it ). When a couple members came in from discing and harrowing food plots for planting, they wanted to take a shower. She scolded them and told them " Take a shower at home. I just cleaned that bathroom ! " Floral scented air fresheners, women's hair dye, flowered trinkets on the shelves and walls.

A couple of these women, when there together, always manage to get into cat fights. I guess to see who's gonna rule the roost. They try to out-boss each other and the men. The men get ridiculed about everything from why don't we put different color curtains up at the windows, to why do we put pans over THERE instead of over here. It's like we have mommies again. It's NOT relaxing.

NOW - what do you think of this situation??? Sound like a good hunting season scenario to you??? We are NOT changing our rules...... I just wanted to hear you guys' opinions.

That doesn't sound like fun. In your situation I'd ban women at the camp and ban the guys that married the women that cause all the trouble.

And I agree with MO buck that this type of problem is exactly why I bought my own land. I don't really want to deal with those kinds of issues and the owner gets to set the rules. Right now there's no women at my cabin during hunting season, but that will change when my daughter is old enough to hunt.

Chummer - they are "in laws" they are never going to like you - it's their job!:D

If I had a daughter and I knew she was bumping nasty’s with a guy I would not like him either.

This topic is the reason I feel deep down my FIL may not like me. For 20 years he had a rule his wife couldn't come to camp during deer season, which is 3 months in our area. I marry his daughter, the camp next to him comes up for sale we buy it. The women start showing up more and more.

My FIL never allowed women at camp during our 3 month season. That was a great escape for him as is wife is one of the crazies. Fast forward, we buy the camp next to him and have two daughters and that rule went right out the window. Now we are there every weekend all summer and a few during hunting season. He would rather hang with the kids than go hunting at this point. I hope I can keep my kids interested in plots, trees, and hunting because I would love to have them at camp hunting someday.
Pi$$ing on the leg of the Alpha male is usually not a good idea, especially in the eyes of the Alpha male!:eek: I keep reminding my 20yo daughter that she needs to start looking for some nice Allamakee Co. IA farmboys to date! Besides, she likes wrestlers, dad was a wrestler, and Iowa is full of them!;) Win-Win!

They don't do that until after getting married......;)

There is a reason god gave me two boys. I would probably end up in jail if a had a daughter.

There is a reason god gave me two boys. I would probably end up in jail if a had a daughter.
My FIL has three daughters and I really think it is why he drinks so much. He has it made with me, his other two daughters have one looser man after another. When my girls get older I can certainly see stress and alcohol use way up, and I am not ruling out jail.

I'm glad I have sons. Wouldn't have thrown a daughter back, but less stress w/ boys. Sort-of.