Wisconsin 9 day gun season...

Winter storm warning. Predicitng 6" of snow and 40 mph winds. Snowing like hell here with about two inches on the ground already.

15 mph rain in waupaca my great achievment today was dropping a deuce in a 1 gallon ziplock clean! I am thinking show offers should start pouring in with that skill level. 5 bucks by 830 havent seen butkus since

I would of thought your post at 3am this morning about gun licenses being down would be so you didn't have to have this great achievement.

15 mph rain in waupaca my great achievment today was dropping a deuce in a 1 gallon ziplock clean! I am thinking show offers should start pouring in with that skill level. 5 bucks by 830 havent seen butkus since
I have been following your posts from the blind as if I am in there with you... I am glad I am not in there with you.

I'll bet that ended the GF's time in the stand with you ...

I know you & Kyle video a lot. I only hope this wasn't one of them. But if your looking for show offers, it make's me wonder. Still LMAO at that post.

In my area I did not think the count could get worse than last year but the kill is down 20%. I know there are more deer around than last year so this is exactly what my area needs to rebound as the population was still too low in my opinion. I'm looking forward to a better age class of bucks next fall.

I will say the lower buck count (be it a few deer) is partly due to the new WMA in my neighborhood. A couple bucks that might have otherwise been shot were let go.

I was face to face with a central wi stud this morning. Didn't see squat on stand till 0830. Headed to a friends property and still hunted in the rain. Conditions were perfect except the wind. The wind was west, when it should have been east. I gambled a little and hunted anyway. I just got to the bottom of a steep ridge. There was a flat semi wet decline that transitioned to a thick nasty swamp. This buck was bedded in the perfect spot, to Beat me. He was bedded on the backside of a couple foot knoll, which concealed him. The west wind screwed me. First I saw him he was running full stride from right to left at 50 yards. He smelt me, I was completely silent in the rain, and the knoll concealed us both from each other. It took me about two seconds to size him up and find him in the scope. He was about 75 yards in the thick brush, and I let one off. The bastard didn't know what just happened cause he stopped at about 100, and looked back. All I could see was his rack. I could have shot through the brush, but that would have been unethical.
The ole lady is getting sent in there tomorrow. He looked heavy, with average height, unknown spread, I'd say a ten pointer but I don't know for sure. I'd reckon my new buddy is owner of this. Check out how his rack was rubbing up on that adjacent red pine!!! He's going down!
A286A61E-6368-47FD-9A74-96AB83EE941E.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was face to face with a central wi stud this morning. Didn't see squat on stand till 0830. Headed to a friends property and still hunted in the rain. Conditions were perfect except the wind. The wind was west, when it should have been east. I gambled a little and hunted anyway. I just got to the bottom of a steep ridge. There was a flat semi wet decline that transitioned to a thick nasty swamp. This buck was bedded in the perfect spot, to Beat me. He was bedded on the backside of a couple foot knoll, which concealed him. The west wind screwed me. First I saw him he was running full stride from right to left at 50 yards. He smelt me, I was completely silent in the rain, and the knoll concealed us both from each other. It took me about two seconds to size him up and find him in the scope. He was about 75 yards in the thick brush, and I let one off. The bastard didn't know what just happened cause he stopped at about 100, and looked back. All I could see was his rack. I could have shot through the brush, but that would have been unethical.
The ole lady is getting sent in there tomorrow. He looked heavy, with average height, unknown spread, I'd say a ten pointer but I don't know for sure. I'd reckon my new buddy is owner of this. Check out how his rack was rubbing up on that adjacent red pine!!! He's going down!
A286A61E-6368-47FD-9A74-96AB83EE941E.jpg

Now that is hunting! I love the walk and stalk ...

I will be some this week. The new snow should help you Dipper.

I got a report from our neighbors last night. 6 guys on 2000 acres and they took an 8 and a 9 pointer so far. Both were 130 class.

I will get out with my bow one more time middle to end of December an that will be it for me. Good luck to those who continue to grind it out!

My SIL and Grandson are hunting right now in Wisc with an outfitter in Buffalo County. My SIL passed on the deer below....as he thought it would not score the min 140 pts. Shortly after, another guy hunting with the same outfitter shot it. I did meet the minimum. The outfitter has a fine of $750 for shooting a buck under 140.....but my grandson can shoot anything (however, he is holding out for something like that shown below, or better).
IMG_0909.JPG

I'd have to see that buck in person (with a tape in hand) before I'd believe it was 140" ;)

Yep, that's what he said......and did as they measured it up in the back of the truck. He claimed (by text to me) that the buck met the minimum. Looks weak to me too.

Well...I don't want to be overly negative..but if that's 140" I must have some 160's on the wall :D

Agreed. Just reporting the facts I have. I will quiz him more when we talk. ;) Still.....it would be hard to pass on bucks like that IN MINNESOTA.

Great morning so far lots of browsing some rutting 8 bucks 24 baldies passed a 5.5 big 8 but the g3s are crabclawd

I think I could handle all day sits like that.

My dad, brother and I had a good opening weekend at my land in Rusk County WI. As usual, we didn't see many deer (6 total all weekend between the 3 of us), but one of them was a big old 8 pointer that my dad bagged as it followed a doe through the shooting lane cut in the spruce swamp. 18.5" inside spread and 140 1/8" gross.

Attachments

• 2014 Dad's WI buck pic1 - paint.jpg
    2014 Dad's WI buck pic1 - paint.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 51
that's a nice buck. i'd have guessed over 140.

slow for us too. we saw one deer, a 2.5 year old 9 point my buddy shot. nicest deer of my land in wisconsin so far so it was fun.

We're not too picky up there because we rarely see more than a buck or two between the 3 of us all gun season - the first legal buck was probably going to get shot at. We were lucky that the buck that showed up was a big one. I'm hoping the bucks only rules help bring back the deer numbers, but I'm not too optimistic with the number of predators that eat fawns combined with the youth antlerless tags that are given out. When we registered the buck the guy at the hardware store said everyone has been in buying tags for their kids and grandkids so they can go out and shoot some does with their kids tags since that's the only way to kill does in our bucks only unit.

She got him! 12 point, I knew it was heavy.
Should go 140ish.
I set her up along the thick swamp, hoping to catch him coming from an unpicked bean field. Momma got it done when I couldnt.
7D24E586-561D-4DF4-94E9-EEEBBD91BDD9.jpg

Nice bucks Ben and Dipper!

Great bucks guys. Congrats.

She got him! 12 point, I knew it was heavy.
Should go 140ish.
I set her up along the thick swamp, hoping to catch him coming from an unpicked bean field. Momma got it done when I couldnt.
7D24E586-561D-4DF4-94E9-EEEBBD91BDD9.jpg
That's a great buck, nice work.