Wisconsin 9 day gun season...

Congrats kabic! As tough of a hunt as it has been a harvest is so much more earned under these conditions than picking one of 30 deer off a field.
Thanks bueller..I think our property is like yours. We are covered up in deer in Spring and summer, deer season comes and there is a big drop off. No thermal cover and my food plots are covered with snow.

I can't do much about the thermal cover at the moment but I m going to work on getting some note height on food plots.

Thanks bueller..I think our property is like yours. We are covered up in deer in Spring and summer, deer season comes and there is a big drop off. No thermal cover and my food plots are covered with snow.

I can't do much about the thermal cover at the moment but I m going to work on getting some note height on food plots.
Last year I left my rye that matured in the spring standing through the gun season. Red clover and brassicas were underneath. The deer hit our plots at all times of the day last season, even as the week progressed on. The tall rye made them feel safe. This year I have beautiful turnips which they are still pounding but not during the daytime for the last week or so. Up until then daytime pics were common. I know what I'll be shooting for in the future in at least a portion of our plots, standing rye!

One plot directly in front of our trailer is more of just a viewing plot throughout the year, rarely hunted. Last season deer were in the standing rye and clover while we were inside eating lunch. They busted me when I came outside. I could barely see them and they knew it. They didn't immediately get off the plot even though I was just 40 yards away looking at them. When the did leave they were gone about an hour and came right back in.

Last year I left my rye that matured in the spring standing through the gun season. Red clover and brassicas were underneath. The deer hit our plots at all times of the day last season, even as the week progressed on. The tall rye made them feel safe. This year I have beautiful turnips which they are still pounding but not during the daytime for the last week or so. Up until then daytime pics were common. I know what I'll be shooting for in the future in at least a portion of our plots, standing rye!

One plot directly in front of our trailer is more of just a viewing plot throughout the year, rarely hunted. Last season deer were in the standing rye and clover while we were inside eating lunch. They busted me when I came outside. I could barely see them and they knew it. They didn't immediately get off the plot even though I was just 40 yards away looking at them. When the did leave they were gone about an hour and came right back in.

Bueller, when did you plant that red clover? I am looking to try planting some medium red clover. Finally I think i have a green light and want to try and do it right.

Bueller, when did you plant that red clover? I am looking to try planting some medium red clover. Finally I think i have a green light and want to try and do it right.
Planted late summer of 2012 with winter rye. The rye was an attractant fall of 2012 and spring of 2013. I'm not sure what the medium red clover did that fall but spring, summer, and fall of 2013 it was great. Early summer 2013 I also overseeded with some brassicas which provided additional tonnage through the hunting seasons. The standing rye protected the clover and brassicas from the drought and made the deer feel comfortable while feeding. I thought I would get another year out of the clover but this spring the weeds were competing very bad so I turned the whole thing over to brassicas.

Ed, forgot to mention. The clover looked great through May of 2014 but by late June the weeds were clearly a problem. I probably could have sprayed a selective herbicide or mowed but choose to go a different route.

I will have a rifle in hand but tomorrow afternoon and Sunday I will be on public ground scouting for next year as I did today for a couple hours.

We have had a pretty good week here. Hunted the weekend and on Sun and my 17 year old nephew took the buck below. It was 52 deg F, cloudy & misting, snow cover had melted, and light conditions were terrible.

He took him at 7:00 am coming out of a thicket in the dense part of the willow & tag alder marsh. The 200 yard recovery and drag out in the Otter sled took us hour to drag him out as we did not gut him until after we dragged him out.

He was 19" wide, 10 point, and field dressed at 207 lbs, looks like a nice 3.5 year old. The hunter passed on 3 bucks on Saturday and is very happy ...

Will post my buck as soon as I can. Good luck to all the next few days.

Buck 10 pt JW NF 20141122.jpg

Why does everyone black out the faces of hunters?

Mrs dr dipper doesn't want me showing pics of her. I'm not going anywhere near the radio face. I'd wake up castrated. Haha

Sat tonite for 3 hrs. Saw 16 does and 3 bucks. 2 od the bucks were still rutting a doe.

Right at closing a nice 2.5 cam through at 60 yards 50' behind a doe. As she moved, he moved. Was 12 points and 17-18" wide 2.5 year old. Has 7-8" G2's and nice heavy main beam already.

Fun watching him ... if he gets through the mine field ... in a year or two he will be a major stud ...

Mrs dr dipper doesn't want me showing pics of her. I'm not going anywhere near the radio face. I'd wake up castrated. Haha

I am sure Mrs Dipper is a fine looking woman ... and an excellent hunter too!

Saw 15 deer tonight. 2nd last deer in plot was a shooter. Was sitting in heated blind with son and told him he could shoot it. Don't know what happened but he missed. Oh well my turn tomorrow.

We have had a good season so far, got these bucks and 6 does. We are good on meat at this point but I will still be back for some muzzle hunting next week, looking for a big boy or possibly a doe for an MN guy who has been skunked this year.

Homegrown bucks--

Nice deer!! You are in some nice bluff country looks like!

Bueller ... 1st deer on the new property?
Yep, bedded right in an area I had already designated as a sanctuary. Was still hunting/patrolling the perimeter trail that runs along it.

Yep, bedded right in an area I had already designated as a sanctuary. Was still hunting/patrolling the perimeter trail that runs along it.

Congrats ... nice way to start out with the new property!

Nice job bueller!