Winter rye - When is it mature in Wisconsin

huthut

5 year old buck +
Looking to do a dipper method on my winter rye this year. How can you tell if rye is mature? When does this typically occur in Central Wi. I may spread some oats/clover this weekend and then cultipack the winter rye when it matures. Good moisture right now and want to take advantage of that --

Beginning of July, the seed is really starting to devolp. I'd hold off on the oats for at least another week.

thanks dipper -- I will wait a bit longer as suggested. I have one field that has winter rye but is not particularly thick and has some significant grass competition. The best procedure for this field would be spread seed, cultipack, then spray? Last year I did not work the field up at all and just broadcast rye seed into standing winter rye and then ran a brush hog over it.

thanks dipper -- I will wait a bit longer as suggested. I have one field that has winter rye but is not particularly thick and has some significant grass competition. The best procedure for this field would be spread seed, cultipack, then spray? Last year I did not work the field up at all and just broadcast rye seed into standing winter rye and then ran a brush hog over it.
Gotta kill that grass, otherwise it is only going to get worse. Personally, I would drill your fall crop in if you can. You don't need a no till drill if you are adding things like peas, oats, clover, brassicas, more rye, etc. If you have to broadcast, that's what you gotta do.
Was that rye you brush hogged, mature when you cut it? Did it seed itself? It appears when that rye is planted super thick the fall prior, it doesn't get as tall, and appears thinner the next summer.

Yes the rye was brush hogged mature last year - late july. I spread an additional bushel/acre and lightly disked/cultipacked in one pass. There is a lower corner of the field that has bit more sod that is the problem. The rest of the field is very sandy and weed competition is minimal. I do not have a no till but do have a old JD drill 8' in my shed that could be used. Always used in a prepared seed bed but it may work as you suggested. When do you recommend to spray the field? Before of after drilling the seed?

Can you explain not needing a drill with those seeds? You mean just broadcast correct? How would you utilize your old drill

Yes I was planning on just broadcasting the seeds. My drill may be enough to slice through the standing winter rye roots good enough to use my drill. I have not tried it in an unprepared seedbed before -- but have heard of people having some success.