Winter rye/ fall rye?

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
Is there a difference between fall and winter rye? I tried to get some today and they said wr wont be in for a few weeks, but they could get me some fall rye by tomorrow. Will it work the same as wr as far as deer use spring and fall.

I don't think they know what they are talking about

I would tend to agree with dipper. There is winter(fall planted) rye and spring(planted) rye. The difference is that spring rye can be planted in the spring, much like spring oats, and still produce a seedhead without overwintering. Winter rye needs to vernalize(i.e. overwinter, go dormant) before it will produce viable seed to harvest. To us, winter rye and fall rye were one in the same, not to be confused with spring rye. Maybe your seed man uses different nomenclature. Ask them if the "fall" rye they are selling needs to vernalize before producing seed, that would be the true tell on whether or not it is what you are looking for. Also you might want to ask if it is "common" rye seed(aka VNS) or a named variety like Wrens Abruzzi, Hancock, Rymin, or Aroostock. If they could answer that, it could also tell you if it needs to overwinter.

The seed will look kinda like oats. A little more round. What they think is fall rye is rob ably just last year's seed. Plant it ASAP.

I don't think they know what they are talking about
Thanks,I think your right, when I asked for winter rye, she said you mean rye grass. I don't think I could ask about vernalizing. I would be looked at like I have 3 heads. I have land 5 hrs away and have to plant this weekend. I broke down and bought a 50lb bob plot spike forage oats that I will mix with the bag of wr left over from last year. I can't believe it is this hard to find wr/ww. I will stock up early next year.

Thanks,I think your right, when I asked for winter rye, she said you mean rye grass. I don't think I could ask about vernalizing. I would be looked at like I have 3 heads. I have land 5 hrs away and have to plant this weekend. I broke down and bought a 50lb bob plot spike forage oats that I will mix with the bag of wr left over from last year. I can't believe it is this hard to find wr/ww. I will stock up early next year.
That's what I do. WR is hard to find sometimes when I want to plant so I buy some extra and store it in plastic totes in the polebarn

Thanks,I think your right, when I asked for winter rye, she said you mean rye grass. I don't think I could ask about vernalizing. I would be looked at like I have 3 heads.
^^^ Makes me glad I have knowledgeable seed men to deal with when I need too!

Just for the record I have had trouble getting wr until September around here from the coop. I've had to purchase it a year before. Still wanted to ask around here where wr was for sale in summer when we need it but have not got around to it.

The local feed mill here in east central MN has WR readily available all summer long. Great back up plan if late summer plots fail. That s**t will grow anywhere.

They are just picking it now, and than they dry it, so it takes awhile. I buy it out of the gravity box not dried and store it in sacks. U don't want it air tight if it isn't dried, it will rot. I'll stack the sacks and never had a rottin problem.
Just ask for cereal rye from now on, not rye grass

Keep checking Craigslist. We have many ads for winter/cereal rye seed for sale here, starting right around mid-July. Some cleaned for about $12 a bag, not cleaned around $8.

Just searched this on Appleton CL, here is the link:

https://appleton.craigslist.org/search/sss?sort=rel&query=rye+seed

Looks like quite a few choices as cheap as $6 per 56lb bushel.

Last edited:
In the Tomah area on craigslist a bushel of rye right off of the combine is going for about $6 :eek:.

Piles of it for sale all over right now for next to nothing if you don't want it cleaned and bagged from a seedhouse.

Piles of it for sale all over right now for next to nothing if you don't want it cleaned and bagged from a seedhouse.
In the one ad he wants to just run it straight off the combine into your truck or trailer :eek:.

Mobile food plot after it rains a few times in the truck bed!