To late for rye?

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
I wasn't able to get up to my land since July. I finally made it up and over seeded my beans and also lightly disked and seeded some rye. This is in NW Wisconsin. Do you think this rye will grow enough to make it thru winter? Was it a waste of time planting it this late this far north?

I think you’re good to go. Might not get much growth this year but I bet it does well through winter.

I agree with WG. I'm in SW WI, so a zone or two apart but I just put down 300 lbs yesterday. Rain came down last night and 80° temps should have it germinating by early next week.

Did mine last week. It germinated in less than 24 hrs laying on the ground. 3" tall in less than a week. I agree, plenty of time even way up north. Your forecast looks good.

I'm pushing the envelope on late rye seeding this year. My last attempt to make peace with dutch white clover before I kill it all. I'm waiting for the chowdown to ensue, then I'm going to broadcast rye into all of it. I imagine I'll wait another 2-3 weeks before I spread mine. And this is where I'm located.

states.JPG

I threw some in my yard just northwest of twin cities last year in mid oct IIRC and it grew great.

I think I’m gonna try some brassicas in the strips I mowed in my food plots. Do y’all go ahead and plant clovers at same time? And then throw the rye 3-4 weeks later?

I always plant some brassicas with my whole mix, but I don’t think I’ve seen much growth with them.

I think I’m gonna try some brassicas in the strips I mowed in my food plots. Do y’all go ahead and plant clovers at same time? And then throw the rye 3-4 weeks later?

I always plant some brassicas with my whole mix, but I don’t think I’ve seen much growth with them.
Yes, same time works great.
Minimum 4 weeks for me unless they are coming in really thin and you need to fill some space. Brassicas start slow and see the most growth after week 4, from my experience, in the upper Midwest at least.

I have 200lbs I still want to get out. Tweaked my back and the rye showed up the next day. That was a week ago and it's rained all but one day since. Haven't been able to throw it on the plot yet. Typical

Planted a small bit of rye yesterday. Put in some arborvitae and s spruce i had in a grow pot.
20231209_155341.jpg
20231209_155334.jpg
Rototilled, then dug out tree spots, and rototilled deeper. Threw in sone wood chips since i git several trucjloads. Spread rye and some mixed clover. Thrn took s back of s lawn rake to cover it lightly.

Last weekend of rifle season, grreat time to put foofplot seed in?

The gas company that is currently destroying the core of my property said they'll be seeding rye and clover next week in southern Ohio. When i said "things don't germ and grow well in the winter" they stated they will come back in the spring if necessary.

The gas company that is currently destroying the core of my property said they'll be seeding rye and clover next week in southern Ohio. When i said "things don't germ and grow well in the winter" they stated they will come back in the spring if necessary.
Treat that as an opportunity

Unless they put down caliche rocket , plant that some beach and make a long pipelineROW plot

that's what I did

bill

I would guess by rye they mean rye grass?

This might be a great mix for that.

I would guess by rye they mean rye grass?
I sort of want to puke now.....didnt even consider that.

Regardless, it will be turkey chow and they'll be back in the spring. They're just trying to maintain erosion/run-off permit compliance.

I sort of want to puke now.....didnt even consider that.

Regardless, it will be turkey chow and they'll be back in the spring. They're just trying to maintain erosion/run-off permit compliance.
Ryegrass can be great in an area like that.

Verified it was winter rye, winter wheat and clover.

I am with you Omicron- anything green now is a win

Verified it was winter rye, winter wheat and clover.

I am with you Omicron- anything green now is a win

Sounds like the best mix you could hope for. You can always over seed with winter rye every fall.