Throw more cereal rye?

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
Like every one else ..dry dry dry with a few little wet times between .. drilled brasicas, clovers and wheat in MayJuly ..once the brassicas jumped out I broadcast 100# AC cereal rye .. the brassicas have done well ..the clovers are sparse ..the wheat so so and the cereal rye seems almost a no show ..what to do what to do as I need very badly for this spring to have serious rye mass for weed control

I know it's the weather stupid but is it worth throwing another round of rye at it ..I do not see or hear anything so saying rain to speak of nor long range forecasts even talking rain ..one would think fall would dampen things up ..but...

Bear

Rye will germinate with morning dew. Can't think of anything that will germinate as easily.

Well I used the local coop’s cereal rye and maybe it was old .. honestly did not even think of checking the tag .. but it did not impress me to say the least..

Bear

Rye will germinate with morning dew. Can't think of anything that will germinate as easily.
Apparently there is no morning dew in SE Ohio. 3 xs i threw seed down and essentially just fed turkeys

Without moisture everything is dead. It's curious about your rye. Only you can decide when to stop trying. Me? I think I would just let it ride at this point.

I don't know about there, but it's not too late to plant winter rye in Central Wisconsin . Farmers with irrigated fields broadcast winter rye for erosion control right up until the ground surface starts freezing overnight and run an irrigation system over the top to soak the seeds.

I don't know how large an area you have, but this might be an idea for you: We have a drought here too. I had a couple acres I wanted to get seeded for erosion control. Twenty days ago, I gave up on waiting for rain in the forecast, and so I dumped my bags of rye seed into five gallon buckets, putting one-third of a bushel (about three gallons) of seed in each. Then I added water to about the four gallon mark. After that, I let the seed soak for about 20 hours. Then I spread the seed one handful at a time. Just one week later, I had a good stand of 3" tall winter rye already, despite no rain.

I don't know about there, but it's not too late to plant winter rye in Central Wisconsin . Farmers with irrigated fields broadcast winter rye for erosion control right up until the ground surface starts freezing overnight and run an irrigation system over the top to soak the seeds.

I don't know how large an area you have, but this might be an idea for you: We have a drought here too. I had a couple acres I wanted to get seeded for erosion control. Twenty days ago, I gave up on waiting for rain in the forecast, and so I dumped my bags of rye seed into five gallon buckets, putting one-third of a bushel (about three gallons) of seed in each. Then I added water to about the four gallon mark. After that, I let the seed soak for about 20 hours. Then I spread the seed one handful at a time. Just one week later, I had a good stand of 3" tall winter rye already, despite no rain.
Well several acres and i understand the seed soak process but once germinated with it so dry on top I’m not sure broadcasting will work .. actually as I think about it the brassicas which were drilled are the only seed making a show . everything thing else that was shallow planted or broadcast are sucking air..

Bear

I’m in the same boat…
I did TNM with a diverse mix of grains, brassicas, and clovers and have had basically zero response.
My father’s place is 50 miles north, and his plot looks fantastic. My plots have had 0.75” of rain since the first week of June, his have had 4” since planting the first week of September.

My plot
cb6f1b5710754a0e7f3f7d4ed61b3225.jpg

My father’s, planted 5 days AFTER mine.
110de13e42e6331c68c6cc7164fd1392.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have it bought and ready to go. Depending on what you pay for rye, I'd risk the ~$30/ac in case you do hook something. I spread my rye 4 days ago, and this is my forecast. I've got the moisture, but it's gonna be a short growing period before the snow comes. And the deer are going to be trampling my plots for the next two weeks. I wonder if it'll get for enough along to survive the winter and whatever fall grazing it may also take on.

1697722732989.png

Attachments

• 1697722602538.png
    1697722602538.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 9
Doesn't look like a forecast for much growth.

In my experience, rye will grow a little if you get above 40 or so…one year we even had a “warm spell” after Christmas (think like 45-50 degrees) of above a week and it popped up 3” for what it had been…never heard of the soaking idea but coulda used that last year when we had little rain for long periods….but I’m farther south in PA so take that for what it’s worth ..

I can't get WR to grow at all this year...I've broadcast 50lbs twice in SWPA into an existing clover/brassica plot(bare spots) and nothing...

Guys that can't get the rye to germinate---don't know what to say, I've had spilled rye start growing on my truck bed. Rye seed left in my broadcast seeder will germinate and grow 4 or 5" in my dark shed with no moisture. I'd think something must be eating the seed or the seed itself is bad, don't know what else it could be.

Well I threw another 112#/AC at it today so we shall see ..hurt to run over the brassicas but right now weed control via the rye this spring (if I can get it) is more important than the tracks i made in the brassicas ..I must say it was strange sitting in my Yamaha Rhino with Brassicas tickling my left elbow ..that a first for me 😎

Guys that can't get the rye to germinate---don't know what to say, I've had spilled rye start growing on my truck bed. Rye seed left in my broadcast seeder will germinate and grow 4 or 5" in my dark shed with no moisture. I'd think something must be eating the seed or the seed itself is bad, don't know what else it could be.
Well I don’t know about the others but here is my synopsis .. it is free and worth nada.
I used a no till drill using both the big box and the small box
Everything seed wise from the big box came up a little slow but survived and is growing fairly well
It came up slower than normal because I ignored the traditional seeding depth and buried where I found slight soil discoloration (moisture) which was an average 3/4 to 1” deeper than recommended .. this is a gamble on tight ground ( like old fallow,CRP, pasture)but loose soil type like occasionally tilled ground it will just slow it’s emergence a bit most time unless it gets a ground pounding rain on it ..

The seed coming from the small box which was getting 1/4” bury (basically pressed into dirt by the press wheel) was I believe germinated but moisture to survive on once germinated was just too far down (2.5 to 3”) to actual moisture to survive the lengthy spans between water

Add to this .. in our area we had an exceptionally low humidity summer year even when warm it was a dry warm and dry air came right behind the showers we did get and sponged the water right out of the surface area the small shallow seeds were trying to make do with
So in my case my 1/4 bury legumes and small brassicas had about a 20% live rate and my big box seed I estimate 80% +\- which deep bury I’m satisfied with
Now the rye I broadcast today was hitting some moist ground from a little sprinkle overbite .. plus hot days behind us and showers possible closer together issues forth some hope .. we shall see
One other thing .. my first round of seed might have been carryover seed .. this seed was fresh as in 8/23 germination test at 90% so I know it is hot stuff ..
Bear

Well after a lot more rain, I have germination! I guess it just needed more moisture. So I am stoked to say the least!

Apparently there is no morning dew in SE Ohio. 3 xs i threw seed down and essentially just fed turkeys
finally seeing growth with some consistent rains. Really wondering what the week of soakers coming up at the end of the week will do

I am going to to spread what I have left of my Winter Wheat seed tomorrow. They say we could get a couple of inches of rain this week. I think they are probably liars, but if it isnt in the plot it cant grow! I have seen very little germination from what I put out a few weeks ago.

I am going to to spread what I have left of my Winter Wheat seed tomorrow. They say we could get a couple of inches of rain this week. I think they are probably liars, but if it isnt in the plot it cant grow! I have seen very little germination from what I put out a few weeks ago.
I'm in a similar situation except I am going to rely on whatever is left from a few weeks ago to go ahead and germinate. It may very well be zero, but I am tired of throwing money at this drought. Its gonna have to wait until next year... 😂