winter kill

Davewp

5 year old buck +
lost several trees this yr. had a brutal stretch of zero degree weather this past winter that would not let up. Despite that, granny smith, gold rush and eneterprise all came through well and fruiting nicely. especially the enterprise.20180523_155546.jpg20180523_155453.jpg20180523_155422.jpg

Yep, we had about 10 days straight with lows below -10. Lost a peach, a cherry, and maybe a Gala apple. It still has some green cambium, but has done nothing yet when everything else is leafed out.

Mn1734 is green underneath but no leaves, yet. I thought it had a few leaves earlier, but they dried up.

My Noran topwork from last spring has not leafed out.

Our low was -34.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

total, i lost 3 of 4 peaches. 1 dapple dandy pluot a few chestnuts i had just statred last yr. the mature chestnuts doing fine. the asian pears also seem unphased by the winter. many of the small branches just never leafed out. figuring "frost bite". There are 3 marginal trees that just this week started to demonstrat new green, so I did a hard prune well back to try and limit stress. time will tell

Lost 5 of 61 trees I planted last year. 2 Galarinas, liberty, frostbite (damaged last year by tractor implement but healed well I thought), and 5th tree I can’t recall. Brutal cold stretches as well last year. Long winter.

Never fun putting all the effort in only to have them not wake up in the spring.

Lost one unknown old Apple tree.

Crappy part is I had two not looking good at the end of last year. So I took a gamble an replaced the other one with a nice looking sweet sixteen.

Guessed wrong. The other one never woke up an the one with a new one planted 3 feet away is looking good.

Face meet palm.

I don't even want to talk about chinese chestnuts. Had 35 growing last year and looks like less than 10 leafing out right now. All 3 Dunstons looking good though.

That's funny! I've lost Dunstan to winter kill, but not many Chinese. Go figure.

I lost one tree to the snow pack that snapped it off at the graft. I have a few that are waking up slow but look alive. A couple of them are zone borderline from the Cummins $5 deal so they may not make it. My pears have suffered their normal winter kill and the tops are dead. I should pull all my pears and utilize the space but I just can't do it. I will ride it out until global warming comes to my area.

I lost a Galarina and Gibson Golden along with a Black Gold cherry that never woke up....and a Elberta peach looks very weak hardly leafing out. All in the ground two to three years.

Last edited:
I lost 2 liberty, an enterprise and goldrush this year, although I think mine were disease or wet feet related bc they started looking terrible and lost leaves during last years growing season. The one liberty had fruited.

I also had winter kill on two Galarina’s and a Florina Querina on B.118 rootstock. All third leaf from Cummins. Central Wisconsin zone 4b.

I have given up on my Espus Spitzenburg apple. It has been in the ground for 5 years and keeps on winter killing back to just above the graft. Gave it a yank last week and replaced it with a tree from my nursery, I believe a Fireside.

I lost an Asian Olympic pear, would've been it's second year in the ground. Also a Kieffer is looking pretty sickly, 3rd year in the ground, but it was a larger tree from RK. Overall it could be worse. I'm now worried about the canadien thistles that are taking over my 2 orchards. I spot sprayed them the other day and really hope I didn't do anything bad to my healthy trees.

I also had winter kill on two Galarina’s and a Florina Querina on B.118 rootstock. All third leaf from Cummins. Central Wisconsin zone 4b.
There it is! Florina Querina was my 5th tree that died. All on b118 from Cummins last year and also zone 4B

Lost a Liberty, Enterprise and a Dolgo. All in the same location, not sure what happened.

So it turns out 2 of the 5 I thought we’re dead just last week are now pushing out new growth from the trunk. No leaves from the existing branches tho. I headed the tree down to new growth and we’ll see how the trees do. Otherwise, the trees I got from Stark Bro’s to replace them were pretty impressive for $12 ea. All feathered and thick caliper.

So it turns out 2 of the 5 I thought we’re dead just last week are now pushing out new growth from the trunk. No leaves from the existing branches tho. I headed the tree down to new growth and we’ll see how the trees do. Otherwise, the trees I got from Stark Bro’s to replace them were pretty impressive for $12 ea. All feathered and thick caliper.
That’s what my trees are doing as well pushing out new growth out of the trunks. The existing branches are bare as well. I bent some of the branches until they broke and they were green under the bark. Some of the buds seemed to be swollen. Not sure what to expect. Time will tell I guess.

In my limited experience growing fruit trees ( 5 1/2 years ), the only trees I've lost are a couple I had growing in pots at home. The bark on the limbs and twigs got dry and wrinkly - it wasn't tight and smooth. And any bending caused immediate breakage.

I wouldn't be quick to write off any trees that haven't leafed out yet, or are pushing growth out of the trunks only. It takes new (-er ) planted trees a couple years to get their permanent root systems established. Local climate conditions ( rain, heat, cold ) may hinder that process, resulting in slower green-up. Scratch a tiny section of bark on a limb tip and if you see green cambium - have a cold one and wait !!!

Mn1734 is green underneath but no leaves, yet. I thought it had a few leaves earlier, but they dried up.

My Noran topwork from last spring has not leafed out.

Our low was -34.

Mn 1734 was just slow to wake up. Did the same last year.
4ddb637460d045bac2ab5fc5796363c6.jpg