A Tough Season with a Good Ending ......

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Well this has been a tough bow season so far. Rain, high wind, bad wind, and mosquitoes that attack like vampires. My time has been limited in the stand as business has been crazy and have hired 2 new sales people which has kept me busy traveling & training. Finally this weekend I had high hopes. Went out Sat afternoon and had a chance at a buck we call The Freak (see Oct trail cam pics). He was dogging does and gave me a momentary shot at 25 yards at 3 pm then abruptly turned as the doe turned. He is 6.5 years old and this was the first real opportunity I have ever had at him. Watched him for another 15 minutes in far end of food plot before he wandered off. Was really disappointed but that's how bow hunting goes. Saw a tone of activity and at one point had 12-15 deer in the front of me with small bucks to several 3 year olds chasing the girls.

Last nigth it started raining at midnight and into the morning so I stayed in. Was still raining at 1 pm with no end in sight but I decided to go out as I glassed several bucks chasing does from our window ... they were moving despite the weather. I had put up several weeks ago a bow box blind. Got in the stand at 2:30 pm, was raining and winds were 15-18 mph. Settled in for what I thought was a long sit, but at least I was out. At 3 pm about 100 yards from me a nice buck I have been watching came dashing through the thicket chasing a doe with another buck behind him. I glassed & watched as they ran in and about the thick stuff till they were gone. Was sure the doe would not come back into the food plot until very late if at all as she was being pushed hard.

At 3:15 I saw the small buck chasing her again and then way to my left the buck I wanted popped out into the food plot 125 yards to my right. I thought no way was he coming my direction (that's just my luck) and I picked up my camera for some shots & video. Well he turned my way and started walking along the food plot edge. I dropped the camera and quickly picked up my bow. He kept coming and when he was directly in front of my I grunted once, then again and he dead stopped (again suprised). I arrowed him at 38 yards & he ran back into the thicket. Food my arrow and it was a clean pass through with really good red blood. Problem was I couldn't find any blood where he ran off to. Decided to go back to the barn and give him an hour. Went back an still very little blood and it was raining. Circled where I saw him crash through the thicket and finally found him after 20 minutes of looking. He had run ~80-90 yards from where I hit him. Arrow went through top of lungs and that is why very little blood. A good clean kill none the less.

I figure my 6.5 year old "The Freak" is still alive for a reason. He has outsmarted many hunters and I am now one of them. This guy has 12 points, rough score of 135"-140", and field dressed at 211 lbs. Hunting alone and I had a good drag to get him out of the marsh so no hero shoots ... boy am I beat, very happy with a great hunt, and i think it is time for nice dark Stout beer or two :emoji_relaxed:

1104181613a.jpg

1104181634.jpg

1104181702.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on a big buck from a hard hunt! I like those inside points. Everyone hates a big drag, but we all love the feeling of satisfaction after it's done and we can reflect. Good aim on that big boy.

Congrats Tree Spud. Good choice going out today, pretty hard to get one sitting on the couch.

That's a heck-of-a good buck, Spud. Good story to give us a feel for the goings-on. Nice shot and at 211 - he's healthy. A bow kill on a good buck is just about the ultimate IMO. Congrats !!

Thanks guys, now it's off to the butcher this morning.

Nice buck, congrats!

That is a brute!

He was a brute, probably lower weight as he had been running for a couple of weeks.

As we have coyotes & a wolf, have to drag him out whole and gut him on another end of property. If not, area is ruined with predators.

Nice buck. Congrats!

Congrats! Great buck

Gents thanks! The processor called and he is ready to pick-up. I am interested to see the meat that I get relative to the body weight. Normally I see a 1:3 of meat to dressed weight.

This year we are going to trying canning venison, been impressed with the threads on that.

How did I miss this until now?!

Congradulations!

I love those two fish gig looking sets of tunes on the left side.

How did I miss this until now?!

Congradulations!

I love those two fish gig looking sets of tunes on the left side.

Thanks Bill ... you've just been busy slaying those giants in you area :emoji_wink:

Real nice buck!

Oh my. What a beautiful buck. Nice job Tree Spud.

You must be a heck of a man to drag a beast like that out by yourself. You won’t need to go to the gym for weeks after that workout.

Wow, nice buck!

Awesome buck!! Thanks for sharing the story and pics.

Great deer! I love his left antler, it's almost like he tried to grow a second main beam on that side. Congrats.