I got "Lucky"

Bill

Administrator
Sorry long story and some of these pics have been posted over the years in other threads.

In January of 2015 a decent 10 showed up. I pegged him for a 3.5 year old. Sorry can't quickly find the pics and better ones are coming anyway.

He was regular all summer and wasn't afraid to show up in the daylight. Late September he was still in his summer pattern hitting the beans before dark. I had a friend visiting and decided to put him on this deer.

You can see my friend above this deer (who got a pass). A Deer showed after dark under him and I got the text to rescue him in the side by side.
image.jpeg
Repeated the process the next day and the 10 came out just after shooting light. My friend was in the tree above him waiting for a pick up. We dubbed him "Lucky" and the name stuck.
image.png

He stopped showing on camera in early October and I had him counted as dead because there is no way he uses my property only.

In December he showed back up. I thought something looked off about his pics and switched to video mode. Sure enough he had a limp from a wound. He was passing the camera almost daily in daylight and I thought about heading out for him. Since he lived through the rifle season I decided to roll the dice and leave him alone.

Was stoked to find his antlers in the spring.
image.jpeg

But was also worried he may have died. Those antlers fell off early and he looked sickly by January.
image.jpeg

2017 spring and early summer came with no signs of him. Then in July he became a regular again. Notice the deer to the right. There's a story here. The smaller deers antler resembled lucky's and I did not want to shoot the small one that year. He had a noticeable weak right side so that would be my way to ID him in the heat of the moment. The neighboring property eventually killed the smaller one.
image.jpeg

Lucky disappeared again in Early October but he did visit me on November 2nd. When the deer hit the kill plot I noticed a weak right side and reached for my camera rather than the bow. Note to self. While video taping a deer through a 2.5 inch view finder it's hard to get a read on them. As he walked away I had an inclination that I screwed up. The TV screen confirmed it later that night. My number 1 target busted a G2 and I miss ID'd him and let him walk away from the worlds easiest 20 yard shot.....he was obviously given the right name.

He disappeared again until late December. Rinse, repeat, with a broken G2 and having lived through rifle season again I left him alone but swear I could have taken him late season.

image.jpeg

This year he again spent the summer gracing my cameras but mostly at night. From Mid to late July on it was only at night. Here's a shot
image.jpeg

We've had a string of 90 degree days. Yesterday a storm rolled in at 4 PM and the temp fell to 76. Weather man said 70 by 6:00PM and the wind was perfect for his haunt. 20 degree drop got him on his feet before dark....

So ends the saga of "Lucky"

I measured twice and added twice and I'm getting just over 185 gross

Some guys hate X Bows and this is the first deer I've killed with one. I was crapping my pants just the same when he stepped out as I would have been with a sling shot.

image.png
image.png
image.png

Last edited:
Lucky may have been his name, but it was your patience, skill and ability that closed the deal on one of the best looking bucks I've ever seen anywhere. It's one thing to get a deer to survive to be that old but even greater when he is a masterpiece like Lucky. Congratulations Bill on an awesome harvest. I never cease to be amazed at the great deer you have there and you obviously have what it takes to put them on the wall!!

Nicely done! Definitely played like a trophy hunter. Nothing wrong with killing him in 2016, but people all the time ask how do you kill big ones, I tell them, "You let a lot of little ones live." No letting that one walk, although it's hard to go through the rut without a buck tag in my pocket!

Congrats!

That's awesome Bill! Congrats!

What did your friend say when you showed him the pics?

Awesome and congrats to you Bill. That a great story and many memories he gave you.

Great story with a very happy ending. Gorgeous buck!

Congratulations on a beautiful buck and your quest and patience

WOW....CONGRATULATIONS

MEGA-congrats! :emoji_thumbsup:

Congratulations that’s one to be proud of there. Your hard work and determination has paid off 10 fold!!!

Sorry long story and some of these pics have been posted over the years in other threads.

In January of 2015 a decent 10 showed up. I pegged him for a 3.5 year old. Sorry can't quickly find the pics and better ones are coming anyway.

He was regular all summer and wasn't afraid to show up in the daylight. Late September he was still in his summer pattern hitting the beans before dark. I had a friend visiting and decided to put him on this deer.

You can see my friend above this deer (who got a pass). A Deer showed after dark under him and I got the text to rescue him in the side by side.

Repeated the process the next day and the 10 came out just after shooting light. My friend was in the tree above him waiting for a pick up. We dubbed him "Lucky" and the name stuck.

He stopped showing on camera in early October and I had him counted as dead because there is no way he uses my property only.

In December he showed back up. I thought something looked off about his pics and switched to video mode. Sure enough he had a limp from a wound. He was passing the camera almost daily in daylight and I thought about heading out for him. Since he lived through the rifle season I decided to roll the dice and leave him alone.

Was stoked to find his antlers in the spring.

But was also worried he may have died. Those antlers fell off early and he looked sickly by January.

2017 spring and early summer came with no signs of him. Then in July he became a regular again. Notice the deer to the right. There's a story here. The smaller deers antler resembled lucky's and I did not want to shoot the small one that year. He had a noticeable weak right side so that would be my way to ID him in the heat of the moment. The neighboring property eventually killed the smaller one.

Lucky disappeared again in Early October but he did visit me on November 2nd. When the deer hit the kill plot I noticed a weak right side and reached for my camera rather than the bow. Note to self. While video taping a deer through a 2.5 inch view finder it's hard to get a read on them. As he walked away I had an inclination that I screwed up. The TV screen confirmed it later that night. My number 1 target busted a G2 and miss ID'd him and let walk away from the worlds easiest 20 yard shot.....he was obviously given the right name.

He disappeared again until late December. Rinse, repeat, with a broken G2 and having lived through rifle season again I left him alone but swear I could have taken him late season.

This year he again spent the summer gracing my cameras but mostly at night. From Mid to late July on it was only at night. Here's a shot

We've had a string of 90 degree days. Yesterday a storm rolled in at 4 PM and the temp fell to 76. Weather man said 70 by 6:00PM and the wind was perfect for his haunt. 20 degree drop got him on his feet before dark....

So ends the saga of "Lucky"

I measured twice and added twice and I'm getting just over 185 gross

Some guys hate X Bows and this is the first deer I've killed with one. I was crapping my pants just the same when he stepped out as I would have been with a sling shot.

DAM BILL !!!!!! DAM, DAM, DAM .... you did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so jealous, so excited, so happy for you brother!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have hunted long enough, you have all the stories of the missed opportunistic. Your hard work, patience, dealing with the frustrations of mother nature this year.

You have a trophy of a lifetime that earned ... great buck, great character, and great stories & history behind him!

DAM, DAM, DAM good for you ... now you have a great legacy to share with everyone who hunts with you and your kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be well and enjoy this experience ...

Congrats on your awesome deer!

what a beauty! congrats

Great story, with a happy ending.
It's good to have hunting partners that are on the same page as you and know when to hold 'em and when to Fold 'em. Everyone on the property plays a part in each other's success somewhere down the line. Congrats!

Beautiful. Love all the gnarly extra points that come with age because you gave him a pass the last couple years. Although you killed him early this season, you absolutely earned him.

Thanks everyone. Good feeling but it is bitter sweet. I'm blessed that this is the second buck I've killed that I have real history with. When you spend years hoping for the next picture or an actual sighting it's odd to know that it's over.
Not odd enough that I was letting him walk to someone else but still....odd.

What did your friend say when you showed him the pics?

My friend was happy he didn't kill him back then. Years ago when discussing the work we do and hours we spend he told me "crazy has no bounds". I texted him from the stand that I hit lucky. He jumped in his truck and drove 8 hours to see him first hand. Crazy has no bounds!

This is the last pic my cam will ever take of Lucky. I was in a different stand then my friend was. After passing the camera he turned an walked out towards a doe and yearling that were eating turnip greens in front of me.

Bitter sweet. But mostly sweet!
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! That’s just awesome Bill. Let me just say thanks for all you do for us here on habitat talk. You deserve all the “Lucky’s” you get.

Wow. It all came together. Congrats on a really beautiful animal.

Lord, what a beautiful deer! High five!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk