Wildflower Mix Have a Place?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I got my new Milborn Seed catalog this weekend. I was thumbing through during some time in the "office" and got to think about their wild flower blends. Should wildflowers have a place in the woodland habitat? I know the obvious answer is yes, but how big a role would they play in a complete habitat plan?

I ask because I'm considering doing one or a a few small spray and pray flower plots to help up the beneficials and bees on the property to ensure I get a good army built for pollination when the time comes. I also wonder if it wouldn't help up the bug count for grouse in the growing season.

I planted 1/2 acre of wild flowers 2 years ago to fulfill my CSP contract I'm suprised how much the deer and grouse frequent that area.

Wildflowers make women happy so that's got to count for something right;) That's the only reason my wife agreed with the crp I put in.

Wildflowers make women happy so that's got to count for something right;) That's the only reason my wife agreed with the crp I put in.

Raspberries & Blackberries help too!

I'm a huge supporter of native prairie (NWSG+wildflowers and legumes). The amount of biodiversity, and in general wildlife, that is supported in those plantings in just insane. Deer will find something to eat in them at almost every time of the year (not winter). As far as spring-fall habitat, I don't think it can really be beat. I was at a nature center a few summers ago and while a worker and I were walking through a native prairie planting we saw 6 does hop up and run away. This was in June/July, so I'd assume there were at least as many fawns in there as well. Where I hunt (Mid- Michigan), for April-October habitat, I'd put 5 acres of native prairie with a few thickets of hazels and american plum up against any single type of habitat (key word be single) for being the most beneficial for deer. Now, I say single is important because you need lots of habitat types for deer... but if I had to pick one that wasn't a mix of thermal cover and winter woody browse, that'd be it.

I'm a complete dork when it comes to native pollinators, and I openly try to incorporate xeriscaping into my habitat plans, I'll spare you on the native pollinator stuff, as I'm sure I'd be beating a dead horse. There is, however, almost always an in increase in beneficial predatory insects, which for me and my apples being grown for deer, is a huge plus. I also love that there is pretty minimal maintenance, or chemical input after establishment.

In my location, there are 10+ cornfields within 2 miles, so feeding deer and competing with those fields is pretty much hopeless. I've found that some rye or oats with clover and brassicas is a good attractant, but the deer will still be going to the fields at night. I've got one central plot that is about 1.5 acres, and this year I'm converting about half of that to native prairie. Part of that is to influence deer movement along the edge of that planting, but also part of it is because I don't think that extra 0.75 acre really gives any benefit to the deer. I'll have a strip of perennials (clover, chicory and small burnett) about 10 yards wide, flowing into a plot thats on my better soil. I'll drill rye/oats/peas/brassicas into the perennials each fall for attraction and hunting purposes, but that's about it.

Lastly (I know.. I've gone on quite a bit here...) I think that depending on the situation, these plantings can be a HUGE + . If you have horribly sandy soil that is pretty droughty, the long taproots on these plants will allow you to plant it, and leave it. If you have small spots that are just big enough to plant, but you don't want to worry about fertilizing and liming, these plants fit the bill. Edging of main plots, these plantings offer a great variety of height and cover, while still freely allowing travel to and from the plot. Overall, I wouldn't put 50% of my property in this stuff, but I do certainly think it is a critical piece of the habitat puzzle. You obviously need cover, mast, forage (food plots), general browse, and water, but the overall diversity of these plantings can allow you to provide at least two of those for half of the year. Other than the initial cost and PITA of establishment, I really don't see any negatives about this stuff.

If I were going to plant more wildflowers, I would plant them alone without NWSGs unless I didn't mind doing a lot of disking to set the grasses back. It doesn't take many years for the grasses to take over and choke out the wildflowers. You can't find a flower anymore at the spot in the pic below.

Thats a freakin' jungle! That's awesome!

I've been told that one key to prevent grasses taking over is using really competitive flowers (e.g. asters), along with burn programs. I've also been told that many times certain flowers won't reseed as easily as others, which is really interesting. The dynamics of prairie communities is a pretty neat thing, IMO.

The wildflowers in the next pictures will hang in there a lot longer than anything else (except for goldenrod).

Wild Sticktight and Partridge Pea.

Those are some cool pics! Black eyed susans and coneflowers are also good food sources for birds and deer in winter aren't they? I could swear I read that somewhere. I've read in some cover crop articles that a good flower population will provide necessary habitat to support beneficials that will wage war on some of your undesirable bugs.

Those are some cool pics! Black eyed susans and coneflowers are also good food sources for birds and deer in winter aren't they? I could swear I read that somewhere. I've read in some cover crop articles that a good flower population will provide necessary habitat to support beneficials that will wage war on some of your undesirable bugs.

SD, I can only say that I've seen deer browse them in the spring, but who knows what deer eat at times for sure. I had some trail cam pics recently of does eating what looked like dead grass in a NWSG field. They are doing this where preferred winter foods are abundant. For sure there are many benefits to wildflowers, and birds of many kinds eat the seeds and use the cover. Quail are really gaining ground here since I converted my fields.

Last edited:
I have a couple of questions for you guys who have gotten great stands of wildflowers. I've never planted these before but have a great interest in getting a good stand or two. I would like to go off of your experience.

What all would you do before planting? Would you spend an entire growing season spraying grasses and working the ground before planting? Would you spray all summer long and put in a stand of winter rye for the winter before planting? Would you seed in the fall/late winter/or early spring?

Do you buy a pre-made mix? or choose a few that you want and mix them? or get what you want separately and plant them in clumps or strips?

I'm very interested and have been looking for a while, just unsure of the best course of action. The last thing I want to do is jump in and waist time and effort with a crappy stand that gets taken over the next season.

Native Hunter, is there a specific brand or mix you suggest?

Prairie Nursery has a great selection in their catalog of both mixes and individual species. I have never planted any wildflowers save black-eyed susan's and coneflowers near the house, nor have I ever ordered from Prairie, but I love there catalog.

I have a couple of their catalogs (Prairie Nursery) and am very interest in ordering some seed from them. Prairie Nursery was recommended by a local nursery when I called them about natives.

Native Hunter, is there a specific brand or mix you suggest?

Well first keep in mind that I'm a lot further south than you, so what works good here might not work well up there. My planting was a mix of the following forbs with native grasses: Black Eyed Susan, Purple Coneflower, Partridge Pea, Illinois Bundleflower. The white flowers are volunteer asters that jumped in by themselves.

I've seen a web site that has mixes for specific areas of the country. I think you can find that with some searching on the Internet. I remember there was one site that looked really good and seemed like they had done their homework. It might be very helpful. Good luck!

After thinking about it some more - contact Crazy Ed on this forum. He is an expert on the northern wildflowers and sells seed too!!

This^^^!

I have a couple of questions for you guys who have gotten great stands of wildflowers. I've never planted these before but have a great interest in getting a good stand or two. I would like to go off of your experience.

What all would you do before planting? Would you spend an entire growing season spraying grasses and working the ground before planting? Would you spray all summer long and put in a stand of winter rye for the winter before planting? Would you seed in the fall/late winter/or early spring?

Do you buy a pre-made mix? or choose a few that you want and mix them? or get what you want separately and plant them in clumps or strips?

I'm very interested and have been looking for a while, just unsure of the best course of action. The last thing I want to do is jump in and waist time and effort with a crappy stand that gets taken over the next season.

You are thinking correctly in being worried about ground prep. I will get back to this sometime this evening and discuss that more. I do have some thoughts.

Thanks. I'm interested in learning much more about this!

Picked hundreds of dollars worth of seed within a mile of my house. I used prairies catalog to Id the plants. I probably have 15 different species