What is this and how do I kill it?

Troubles Trees

5 year old buck +
Last spring I bought a bunch of random mixed wildflower packets from various places and sprinkled them around my beehive. My daughter loves flowers so I did it as a surprise for her more so than for the bees. I ran the weedeater to knock down the area and scratched the soil to ensure the seed took before I planted.
I never saw any Wildflowers come from my efforts but I noticed this stuff growing last fall. Last year it was only a couple feet long but this year it is 4-6’ long so far, and spreading like a vine. Very thick in growth and smothers out even the goldenrod. It’s right next to my beehive so I don’t dare spray it and when I run the weedeater through it it wads up quickly into a big tangled mess.

Attachments

• 0C158260-4F87-49BF-A41A-1AE23EFA02F9.jpeg
    0C158260-4F87-49BF-A41A-1AE23EFA02F9.jpeg
    846.8 KB · Views: 104
  • BED78620-F7A2-4959-84BD-B996AF972BC9.jpeg
    BED78620-F7A2-4959-84BD-B996AF972BC9.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 105
Hopefully not a sweat pea ... ridiculous smothering effect and hard to get rid of.

Looks like a vetch.

Kinda looks like serecia lespedeza??

If you don't want to spray around your bees, try fertilizing it.

Put down ammonium sulfate first. 1 pound per 200 square feet. Water it in, wait 2 weeks and put down an equal amount of pelletized lime and see what happens.

It's the same way you finish off a third world country after a natural disaster. If that's a legume, it's there because there is such a nitrogen deficiency in the soil, that only a legume will grow. Take away it's job by bombarding it with western aid it was otherwise producing on it's own. You'll could put that plant outta business in no time.

Partridge Pea?

I am not an expert on herbicide and bees, but I dont think there will be an issue. I have sprayed Roundup and Goal 2XL around my hives and with no ill affects that I have seen. Spray just before dark when most bees are in the hive for the day. It will be dry well before morning and even then if they arent in bloom I dont think the bees will be attracted to the plant.

Till it up and smother it with buckwheat then follow up with WR in the fall.

Cardboard or a tarp?

Yep, looks like one of the vetches... cicer milkvetch or crown vetch would be my top two guesses...bloom color once they get a bit farther out would help with getting an ID.

Shouldn't partridge pea have little vines coming off of it?

I don't know about it vining. I usually never even notice our partridge pea until it flowers. The stems-leaves posted look very similar to PP and the stuff in pics is planted so thick? Native would know for sure. If it is PP it is a good thing.
a2SncGe.jpg

If you don't want to spray around your bees, try fertilizing it.

Put down ammonium sulfate first. 1 pound per 200 square feet. Water it in, wait 2 weeks and put down an equal amount of pelletized lime and see what happens.

It's the same way you finish off a third world country after a natural disaster. If that's a legume, it's there because there is such a nitrogen deficiency in the soil, that only a legume will grow. Take away it's job by bombarding it with western aid it was otherwise producing on it's own. You'll could put that plant outta business in no time.

.......kinda like our major cities run by Democrats......

bill

Ok so I was hoping it was Partridge Pea, after reading up on it but it’s not. This is how I learn, at least I know what PP looks like and how it fits into habit management.
I’ve been waiting for it to flower ever since and it finally did all at once since last weekend.
D4DEC35B-CB5E-4AB0-AAB1-4A6C60D7A6A4.jpeg5CD4285F-75E1-47D7-B259-241E5D2451A0.jpeg

Crown Vetch.

Planted on a lot of roadsides in the past and has spread into other places. At some localities, deer will browse it pretty well, but it can be toxic to horses under some circumstances.

Crown Vetch.

Planted on a lot of roadsides in the past and has spread into other places. At some localities, deer will browse it pretty well, but it can be toxic to horses under some circumstances.

Nailed it! Thank you Native!
My biggest concern was I unintentionally planted an invasive and it’s spreading quickly so I wanted to identify to know if I need to be concerned and kill or just contain it.

In my experience, it gives good cover for rabbits and fawns, the deer seem to like to eat it, and it's good for pollinators too. Other grasses and taller plants will begin to come in over time, and, if you do nothing, eventually taller bushes and trees will shade it out. I used to have more of it, but goldenrod took over in my case. Personally, I think it does more good than harm and I wouldn’t do anything.

Last edited:
In my experience, it gives good cover for rabbits and fawns, the deer seem to like to eat it, and it's good for pollinators too. Other grasses and taller plants will begin to come in over time, and, if you do nothing, eventually taller bushes and trees will shade it out. I used to have more of it, but it goldenrod took over in my case. Personally, I think it does more good than harm and I wouldn’t do anything.

I am always game for experienced advice and since this is only in a small containable area I will allow it to live. Like I said above, my biggest fear was that I had unintentionally planted something invasive. I just wanted some pretty wild flowers for my bees and my daughter.
Thank you all so very much for the advice!!

I add hairy vetch to my fall cereal grains and then terminate it the next July when I plant my brassicas.

JrfOOQo.jpg