All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's working in the woods this weekend?

Got some much needed time on the farm Fri.
Frost seeded more clover and chicory.
Started a new orchard with first five apple trees. Planted Yates x2, Arkasas black, enterprise, an a dolgo. All on B118. Most came from Chris (turkey creek). Did it right by caging with cattle panels an 5x5' weed mats. Plan to expand by a few trees every yr. Should have room for quite a few apple trees on this bench above my destination plot. I call it the OL home place orchard. I lays adjacent to 9 tree pear orchard, line of 14 chestnut trees, small pond and soon to be 3 acre clover field.
image1.JPG
Here is a big picture of the entire field. New orchard planted on the bench on left side. Gets lots of sun. Orchard sits up much higher than appears in picture.
IMG_2078.JPG

Also planted line of pear trees (keifer x2, olympic x2, housi x1) on the sunny side of a new woodland plot we cleared last Sep. It has been my most productive spot. My brother and I both killed good bucks in it this yr. First bucks taken off the farm in 3 seasons. Hope it produces again this yr...
image2.JPG
Here is a pic of entire plot last fall. Pears now planted in back Rt corner. Plot is now frost seeded with med red, white dutch, alfalfa and chicory.
image3 (1).JPG

I just made an unexpected trip to my land today, I didn't do any work, but I see Mother Nature did some TSI work for me last week with the high winds. Lost a bunch of big pines, and some big pople trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c9ff804ba0b254116891d9f69873cb03.jpg
afa08836b8c1e35653cd563b8e21bcfd.jpg
53f37d758b743c9e64d8c771642e10b9.jpg

Many more as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had the boys home today so we worked on planting some of the trees that came the other day in our privacy screen, white pines and Norway spruce.

View looking north, there are some small hemlocks in front of the pines from today that I planted a couple months ago.

View looking south, some of the spruce we put in last fall.

Dixie had fun too, her first groundhog of the year.

Going to work on getting the persimmon and hazelnut in the ground the next couple of days.

Didn't do any actual work this weekend, but we did get down to our old stomping grounds in Ohio. Walked some big miles scouting and shed hunting. Deer sign was good. Saw some of the best rub sign I've ever seen in my 22 years of hunting there, but sheds were non existent. Didn't find a single antler. Can't explain it.

W. Pa.

i cleared all our timber roads with the chainsaw except for a big double chestnut oak that came down in the winds a couple weeks ago. way too big for me and my 16" stihl. i did cut a bunch of logs and rounds out of the top for shiitake mushrooms though.

My Cummins order came today! So I will be planting some apple&pear this weekend, weather should be perfect for it.
I do like getting them in the ground early so I can catch the rains good.

Wow how long has been since Bradford Co saw 3 feet? Years ago I hunted Bradford county. Just outside of Wysocks.
That was back when 3" of antler was fair game and sought after.
It's been a long time Bill. "Wysox's"........"The Golden Mile". I've been stomping around that area for over 40 years. We call it Gods Country.
Up and till our antler restriction 3" was fair game and WAS sought after. Our deer hunting now in Bradford County is better than it ever was.

It's been a long time Bill. "Wysox's"........"The Golden Mile". I've been stomping around that area for over 40 years. We call it Gods Country.
Up and till our antler restriction 3" was fair game and WAS sought after. Our deer hunting now in Bradford County is better than it ever was.

Gods country for sure. Haven't been in years but I hear fracking has the economy booming in that area.

I'm heading to the farm next weekend. Finally going to get a chainsaw in my hands.

Took this afternoon off and drove 2 hours north to our farm. Wanted to get more Switch Grass seeded. When I arrived it started raining at 2:30 ... rained on and off for another 90 minutes ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Got on the computer and just started doing biz work .... saw a gap in the storm and went out. Bungeed a plastic bag over my seeder, put 20 lbds of seed in and started walking. Walked till dark ... was still raining on and off but got 4.8 acres seeded over 2.5 hours.

It is now raining hard which I am hoping that will push the seed down.

Thank god for advil & vodka .... do I have a problem, and obsession, or just accepting a cure :emoji_sunglasses:

You need a 4 wheeler and a spreader.
Been there with the plastic bag. You got it when you can.

We planted 1000 Norway and white spruce Thursday night after work. I have 7 different shrubs from mdc to get in the ground and protected today.

We planted 1000 Norway and white spruce Thursday night after work. I have 7 different shrubs from mdc to get in the ground and protected today.

Wow, you did lots of work!!! It will be 75 degrees today here in Northern KY on my 52 acre farm. I plan to do hinge-cutting for bedding, and if I have time, work on a small micro plot in a funnel. Good luck everyone and be safe if you're out working today.

You need a 4 wheeler and a spreader.
Been there with the plastic bag. You got it when you can.

Bill ... you are probably right, but I have 19 acres of my target 23 acres done. We got 0.3" of rain last night which helped.

Yesterday was all hills as the area I did has a 35' elevation change. More importantly, I need the exercise, too much time behind a desk or in a plane these days.

Tree Spud and Bcbowman - Good stuff men !! Lots of good habitat you're establishing. 1000 spruce ....... you must have good ground that's not rocky ?? I'll have 100 Norway spruce and Balsam fir to plant in a couple weeks and they'll be a project to get planted in a weekend. ( rocky ) Congrats on the 1000 trees !!!

Tree Spud and Bcbowman - Good stuff men !! Lots of good habitat you're establishing. 1000 spruce ....... you must have good ground that's not rocky ?? I'll have 100 Norway spruce and Balsam fir to plant in a couple weeks and they'll be a project to get planted in a weekend. ( rocky ) Congrats on the 1000 trees !!!
Three point planter and good soil make it a pretty quick and easy project

Planted 600 NS from Itasca. Divided them up between 13 bedding areas ranging from 1/4 - 1 acre in size. Going for diversity here.

I got size 10 which used to be S77's. Not impressed with the size this year. At first I thought they sent me 4a's. Trees were healthier looking than previous years though.