Who's working in the woods this weekend?

My son and I hinged about 30 maples this past Saturday. Sap literally gushing out of them. Some came down great, some not so much. I'm sure the deer are enjoying the fresh browse as we speak. Hung another stand too as long as I had an extra set of hands along. Quite a few tracks around. I was relieved to see no wolf tracks. 2 years ago every trail was overrun with them. We had dinner at the cabin together and headed for home. A great day spent together in the woods!

I've never seen any browsing on young ailanthus. We've got a patch right on the edge of a field, and it's never looked like it's been hit.

I've discussed deer use of Tree of Heaven on that defunct forum and I don't want to jack this thread, but I assume that you may not be the only one that's trying to eliminate it from your property. I'm not trying to convince anyone to promote the stuff, but if you're gonna cut it or kill it, there's a better way than to cut it and treat the stumps at this time of the year.
Here's my take on ToH...
My deer, like your deer, don't browse any part of young ToH, but they go absolutely nuts for the leaves (and only the leaves) of mature ToH when the tree is cut in late summer.
I learned this several years ago when I dropped a ToH at the edge of my yard because it was blocking the satellite signal to my dish. I intended on cutting it up and hauling the dropped tree away when I had time within a day or 2 after I fell it. But the very next morning after I dropped it, I noticed that the leaves were 90% eaten and within another day the cut tree was 100% free of all leaves due to browsing.

It's become my practice to wait until September to cut Tree of Heaven while the leaves are still lush. Not a single leaf of a dropped ToH will go uneaten. 100% Guaranteed! At least that's what's happening here with deer and my ToH.

Yes the tree will stump sprout the following year, and I'll repeat the process, but I'm finding that ToH can only endure that for a few years and then it will die-out, but at least it provided desirable tonnage for a few years.
And those stump sprouts of ToH are extremely easy to cut. A fast growing 1 or 2 year old stump sprout will be 2 or 3 inches diameter and is very brittle. Just a couple of strokes with a hand saw will score the trunk and it can easily be snapped off. I routinely break smaller trees with just hand pruners. If the tree fits into the pruner jaws, it will break with just a little pressure...bend the trunk with one hand, while making a minor cut with the pruners and it snaps like a toothpick. it takes literally seconds to put small ToH on the ground with little effort. And the deer walk through clover plots and past pears to get to the cut ToH.

I understand that ToH is not necessarily a welcome species in a lot of habitat schemes and it does need to be kept under control, but I see no reason to choose to cut it at anytime other than late summer when it can provide some deer candy. And I see no reason to treat the stumps, either. I'm happy that they re-sprout. After a few years of late summer, repeated cutting, the tree will die-off anyway. Meanwhile, I've provided a few years of highly preferred food.
Heck, a stand over a newly dropped ToH would be a great early season doe stand until the leaves are eaten. It's almost like sitting over bait.

Here's the before and after pics of a small ToH in my yard a couple years ago. This was stump sprouts from the larger ToH that was blocking my satellite dish...

Before...
ToH.jpg

18 hours later
Tree of heaven.jpg

I've been working when time allows. Took the day off today since I worked all weekend and caged about 50 more chestnuts. I'm bound and determined to do a better job of caring for these plantings than the trees I've planted in the past. I've always tubes trees but this time I'm caging every one instead. My main priority is keeping the weed competition down once everything starts growing.

Question, I did not put down any landscaping cloth and plan to spray a couple times throughout the year. Without a tube, how do you guys keep from getting gly on the tree? Slip a temporary tube over it???

I use a solo drift guard or you could tape a 2 liter soda bottle to your sprayer wand.

I've been working when time allows. Took the day off today since I worked all weekend and caged about 50 more chestnuts. I'm bound and determined to do a better job of caring for these plantings than the trees I've planted in the past. I've always tubes trees but this time I'm caging every one instead. My main priority is keeping the weed competition down once everything starts growing.

Question, I did not put down any landscaping cloth and plan to spray a couple times throughout the year. Without a tube, how do you guys keep from getting gly on the tree? Slip a temporary tube over it???

A few ways to do this. I cut the bottom out of a plastic bottle. Duct tape the bottle to the end of my sprayer so the spray stays right in a tight ring and go around the tree.

I used to use a 5 gallon bucket with the bottom cut out and slide over the tree. The problem there was stuff dripping off the bucket.

This thread is killing me! I'm so ready to get back to the farm.

Weezy posted as I was typing :)

Got out on the mini ex again Sat. to finish up a access trail. Need to go back and install culverts in the 2 ravines bottoms.

Dumb question. As far as seat time goes, was the mini ex faster than a skid steer to make this trail! And why make the trail with an excavator? I know a side hill would be tough with a skid steer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumb question. As far as seat time goes, was the mini ex faster than a skid steer to make this trail! And why make the trail with an excavator? I know a side hill would be tough with a skid steer.

Faster? Honestly I dont think i have the skid steer skills to of made some of those trails. Too steep and uneven ground

IMO, the mini ex is more versatile (blade/plus dig 360°). Plus, better reach, vision and the thumb is nice for placing branches or small trees right where you want them for blockades.

Dozer is most efficient though. I'm picking up where i left off with a D3 last summer. Don't have one in the area to rent at the moment.

I'm renting a skid steer & bushhog Friday, expanding some plots & clearing some access trails. Year is flying by, & only able to get out to the property once so far. Going to hang cams again & see what's still around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Faster? Honestly I dont think i have the skid steer skills to of made some of those trails. Too steep and uneven ground

IMO, the mini ex is more versatile (blade/plus dig 360°). Plus, better reach, vision and the thumb is nice for placing branches or small trees right where you want them for blockades.

Dozer is most efficient though. I'm picking up where i left off with a D3 last summer. Don't have one in the area to rent at the moment.

Good to know!

All I got accomplished was putting out a new mineral block and spreading a small bag of clover seed......I had other priorities to attend to.

d3e647361d3457c689e841eae0c3d909.jpg

2e8c35a187532a902541c513afbf066c.jpg

Transplanted a couple hundred Dunstan today.
We wintered them in mulch piles and today we put them in 3 gallon pots.
Most will be kept in pots this year, but a few dozen will be planted in the next couple weeks.

W. Pa.
So, mother nature decided to go into the deep freeze. These Dunstan have been out during a spell that had temps around 10 degrees. Are they going to die?

Good to know!

Another plus of the mini ex is if your track comes off you can simply swing the bucket around perpendicular to the tracks to elevate the side that came off. Hopefully anytime your operating a rubber tracked mini or skid steer you bring a small wrench/socket set for 1 zerk fitting, a couple tubes of grease, grease gun and a steel digging bar or big pry bar to get the track back on its super easy (youtube). You would need a jack of some sort to elevate the skid steer untracked side.

So, mother nature decided to go into the deep freeze. These Dunstan have been out during a spell that had temps around 10 degrees. Are they going to die?

Dunstan's are a lot tougher than you would think. They should still be dormant so I would think OK, next week is supposed to be a lot warmer.

This weather is pay back for the mild winter. Two feet of snow on the way over the next 48 hours. The windstorm last week left a bunch of stuff down, mostly box elder that were due to be chopped this year anyway. I wouldn't have dropped them on the trails though :emoji_angry:. When I say I, I mean the guy who's going to help me drop the big ones...I'm not good enough with the saw to be comfortable with splintery leaning stuff. But I'm good at clearing, if the weather would let me!

This weather is pay back for the mild winter. Two feet of snow on the way over the next 48 hours. The windstorm last week left a bunch of stuff down, mostly box elder that were due to be chopped this year anyway. I wouldn't have dropped them on the trails though :emoji_angry:. When I say I, I mean the guy who's going to help me drop the big ones...I'm not good enough with the saw to be comfortable with splintery leaning stuff. But I'm good at clearing, if the weather would let me!
The weather man totally blew it here. They were calling for 5 to 8 inches...we got about 1/2 inch. Not complaining

W. Pa.