Who's working in the woods this weekend?

When I was looking at saws it seems that the Husqvarna 445 was comparable to the STIHL MS 251 - relatively affordable, not too big to use frequently without wearing you out and still big enough for my personal abilities and needs. I cut a little firewood and have the occasional downed tree or limbs. I went with Stihl simply because there are two places locally that service Stihl products.

Someday ^^^ - I have 2 Stihl saws. I have an MS - 390 w/20" bar, and a MS - 180C w/16" bar. They cover it all for me, and I've been well pleased with both. I think you'll be very happy with yours. Can't beat their service.

IMG_0742.JPG IMG_0743.JPG IMG_0744.JPG IMG_0745.JPG 70 degrees in my area today. I had the whole morning and afternoon off so I went out and marked two 1/4 acre expansions for a couple of my food plot trails and then tried my hand at some small hinge cuts. I posted the pictures on the hinge cut bedding area thread too. I started small so I'll get more aggressive as I learn. After looking at the pictures it doesn't look I did much but I can already see where I can do more.

I'm pretty sure that cedar won't live but the connected portion is pretty thick, so maybe. I was surprised how far down it split though.

Last edited:
It was 65 degrees here this afternoon...I HAD to get out!
Ended up getting all the fruit trees pruned and blue bird houses cleaned out, took a walk through woods and found about ten more flagstones I can repurpose on the fire ring.

Awesome, "Someday Isle"!!! I started working on my turkey food plot. This plot was overgrown with lots of weeds until I got ahold of it Friday with my Polaris and pull behind disc.food plot.jpg

I'm a neophyte hinger too Isle, so far I've just done very limited areas of smaller maples and odd trees along edge of woods for brows and cover.

Got out on a friend's place yesterday. Beautiful weather. We opened up and old access road, planned an extension of a new road, released some wild apple trees, and hinged some elm and a few maples. We had some nervous moments with some large elm that were hung up. We eventually got them down like dominos without anyone getting hurt.
But I'm sore this morning. I'm trying to figure out if this habitat stuff keeps me young or if it's gonna kill me :emoji_thinking::emoji_grinning:

Supposed to be 60 here again this afternoon. I'll get something done in the woods later but for now me and the little guy are watching tip ups. Currently 28 degrees, no flags yet.
IMG_20170219_074927216.jpg

Supposed to be 60 here again this afternoon. I'll get something done in the woods later but for now me and the little guy are watching tip ups. Currently 28 degrees, no flags yet.
View attachment 12333
Same here in MI, kind of funny it's heading towards 60 and it's our free fishing weekend so no license required, I'd be watching the ice here.

Supposed to be warm here for the next little bit.

I've got so many trees in the 3-5 inch range that I can afford to stay small with my cuts and reduce the hazards. I figure if I pick and choose with safety as the priority I will still have plenty of tress to hinge - I have to admit it was a lot of fun work. We've got great weather the next couple of weeks so I hope to get a lot done.

While it's not time for concern yet we're already being listed as in pre drought. Hopefully we have a wet spring. We've had a couple small ice storms and no snow at all. Other than that we're really dry.

Awesome, "Someday Isle"!!! I started working on my turkey food plot. This plot was overgrown with lots of weeds until I got ahold of it Friday with my Polaris and pull behind disc.View attachment 12332
Nice looking dirt there Patrick!

I took the new Husqvarna forest clearing saw into the woods for the first time yesterday and it made short work of some large multiflora and a grove of prickly ash to make room for sixteen fruit trees that are coming from Cummins in April. I also managed to cut some nice shooting lanes from a stand that was not cleared well last fall and to cut down last year's blackberry growth too. The saw is a beast. I love not having to bend down, and the bicycle handle grips and hip swivel on the harness made it very easy to use. And the deer are already in the hinged areas from a couple weeks ago!

And the deer are already in the hinged areas from a couple weeks ago!

They were probably in there an hour after dark on the day you cut. They don't waste any time getting into areas we cut around here. The sound of a saw is like a dinner bell to them.

Trimming shooting lanes, a little hinging, planting a two acre chicory/ladino food plot, over seeding big orchard with ladino and seeding some switch grass in along privacy strip this weekend. And Sunday afternoon cutting up a steer we hung a couple weeks ago.

I was at camp and got some pines cut down that were blocking sun to some apple trees in one section of the property. I got all the apples, crabs, and pears pruned too. 2 days of solid work. More to do on future trips. Sized up a few new tree stand locations. Food plots getting lots of business judging from the amount of tracks and droppings.

We dropped a large black walnut tree yesterday that was struck by lightning a few years ago. It was beginning to die so we took it down.
Deer were browsing on it at dusk last evening and they were eating it again this morning at dawn.

W. Pa.

I got out again last Saturday for a few hours to take a friend on a tour and do a little bit more hinge cutting. We've got great weather again this weekend so I'm going out again Saturday and start spreading lime. I'm putting a ton of lime down on my trails. After that's done my focus will switch to clearing a couple 1/4 acre expansions to my trails. I'm not sure if I'll get them both done this spring but I hope to end up with two 1/4 acre areas built into my existing trails. One area will be about 20 yards wide by 60 yards long and the other about 35 yards square.

Given time I'd like to let some light into a couple trails too.

An interesting development here in Missouri is the weather has been so nice that the trees are all budding out already and there are lots of green areas in the woods. Every Bradford pear, redwood and dogwood are just about to bloom. It's 74 today with rain in the area. A small cold front coming through but 70s again by the weekend.

th_1488342050_zpsixs7ffyq.jpg

Rented a mini ex last Friday to work on a access trail.

Last edited:
1488336383_zps3do8j76o.jpg