Who's working in the woods this weekend?

It varies, we've had some crazy winds this winter. On average probably 10" or so, if I didn't keep my atv trails packed I'd never get out. Got hung up for a bit today as I hadn't been out for around a week or so.

Sounds like we'll be losing plenty of snow though, 37 today and highs above freezing for most of the 10 day

Yep I'm hoping we lose a bunch as well. Snowmobiles are not happy but I don't care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be doing something out there.
I've already been out a couple days this week.
Took down some nice spruce (blue and norway) that I should have never planted where I put 'em 25 years ago. They were creating too much shade on my driveway preventing the sun from melting snow and ice. I've made my share of wrong choices of planting locations over the years...live and learn.
I piled the branches around some wild apple saplings for natural fencing. It'll stop the deer but mice and voles will probably get them.
Also did a little hinging...cherry, sycamore, maple, and elm. Deer were in it 2 hours after I left...no fear of chainsaw saw smell, or sweat odor.

SW Pa

I hope to get out as well, I hinged a small area a couple weeks ago and found a bed, tracks, and some browsed limbs in it.

So I'm encouraged to get out and make it bigger!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Was upstate New York this past weekend and took advantage of the lack of snow. Cut about 20 plus Poplars on the lower portion of my property. Made a nice mess and even was able to drop some around existing hemlocks to provide a little bedding cover. Going to do another cut in February, weather permitting, and then plant a bunch of pines to thicken the area up nicely.

Also when I was cutting I saw a bunch of young hawthorne that will now have plenty of sunlight to grow. Good for deer and grouse

I'd like to get out and burn some big brush piles. How much diesel should I pour on first?

Might not need any fuel at all. I've been putting newspapers, junk mail and cardboard boxes under the brushpiles to get them started and they burn up well.

I try to get it started using dead, small branches on top of the cardboard and once those start you are good to go. I've had some dead spots where I've spilled gas in my yard, so I try to use cardboard rather than gas if possible.

The Silver lining is I don't have to share the revenue with my soon to be ex wife.
Don't bet your retirement on that sale. I literally gave the wood away two years ago just to get it done. My next cut 2020 I have some pine which will incentives them to take my other junk trees

The Silver lining is I don't have to share the revenue with my soon to be ex wife.

Good luck with that thought ... you would be the first ... ;)

Bueller, post #27 - How much diesel to burn your brushpile ?? As much as you can bring to the site !!!!! Go big .....make the news !!!!! :eek::D:D:p

I have a jar of tannerite that I should use. That way I can safely light it from a distance :D:D

cutting grapevines... lots of grapevines.

I got out today for a few hours. We had ice storms last weekend and high winds one day last week. I had hoped to do a little leaf blowing but it was just too wet. I walked all of my trails and picked up lots of downed limbs but fortunately didn't have any trees down. I then spent a couple hours just getting caught up on splitting some wood. I didn't really accomplish great things but it was worth getting out and just doing a walk around. On of my neighbors was out there doing the same thing today so I stopped and visited with him for a few minutes on the way out. It's always nice to work on those good neighbor relationships. I'm lucky there. He's a good guy.

My brother and I got in the woods today in the rain, with the 8" of snow pack left. We marked three new small woods plots and a "sidewalk" to connect them all, as well as connect them to my other plots. Got some work to do this winter and super excited to see the results next year.

We seen several deer as we jumped them while working. I noticed most of the beds were either: A) under small groups of very tall pines near hinge cutting and thick cover or B) next to hinge cut bedding areas that offered great "walls". They basically are not currently using my hinge cut spots I installed last year with only a roof. I need to go back and enhance them again. In total we must have found 20 some beds and we were not looking for them. Last year I didn't have a deer track in my woods this time of year! Very happy with the results.

I checked plots, trees, and looked for sheds. No sheds but I was happy to see the deer are starting to hit the ptt plot. This Jan thaw really got the deer moving around by us. I was unhappy to see some Norways stripped.

Attachments

• 20170122_081218.jpg
    20170122_081218.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 44
I didn't get a chance to cut any trees this weekend. I did grab a couple cameras that weren't working. I walked the property, while there are some tracks, they haven't been tearing anything up. I also noticed almost all of my white pines I planted last spring were eaten. I guess I should have capped them. Lesson learned.

I almost got out. I got a bunch of stuff to do but I visited my folks farm and the thought maybe I could plant some trees. I have some dogwoods and evergreen seedlings that have been heeled in on the edge of the garden since spring 2015. I checked to see if I could get the planting bar to work but hit frozen ground about 3" down. Try again in March/April. Maybe get the saw out next weekend.

I got stands down and just barely avoided getting the tractor stuck! I thought I was screwed but I got out of it. No real habitat work down but I was able to get that chore done.

I checked plots, trees, and looked for sheds. No sheds but I was happy to see the deer are starting to hit the ptt plot. This Jan thaw really got the deer moving around by us. I was unhappy to see some Norways stripped.
I picked up some deerstopper, anyone use it?