Who's working in the woods this weekend?

I was out Saturday - was in the mid 60's here! Got some hinging done. Hoped to get more done than I did......but that really isn't anything new!

Got out this weekend to attack an oak tree to dropped last fall ... nice having my 2 nephews there to help ... mid February weather was 40 deg F which was a perfect day to be outside.

wood cutting 2 20170211.jpg

wood cutting 1 20170212.jpg

This is about a 3rd of the tree cut up ...

wood cutting 3 20170212.jpg

I went in for arthroscopy knee surgery for a torn meniscus last week and came out with a microfracture procedure to try to fix a spot of missing cartilage. Out of action for 6 weeks which REALLY puts a crimp in my list of things to do. With chestnuts in the fridge starting to sprout I'm working on Plan B with friends and family.

Red - Heal up first. Rushing into things will only multiply problems. Good luck on the mending knee.

Take your time to heal properly! My son is a college distance runner. He had a torn meniscus repair last year that required three screws and a bone graft. Two surgeries and 26 weeks later he was running again. He's had two races this year and finally getting back to normal. My point is you can't rush the healing process but it will get better. Just be patient.

I will be up hinging a few trees as well, and opening up my food plots a bit more. I was planning on buying a new saw this spring, but I am half tempted to get it now, and test it out this weekend.

Do it! Go get a new saw!! :) I just got a new one 2 weeks ago. I'll be out this weekend in Northern Kentucky on my 51 acre farm. Friday it will be 60 degrees!! I have a lot of hinging to do as well and a couple food plots in the woods to continue clearing out. Can't wait to get out and enjoy the outdoors!!!

Well, we just got a ton of snow here in NW Mass over the course of 3 Nor' Easters in 6 or 7 days...about hip high powder. Winter Wonderland. So, no work on the land for me. So it will be skiing, snowshoeing, out with the snowmobiles. Took this pic yesterday on the highest mountain in Mass...Mt. Greylock. There's an old time downhill ski trail that was built in 1934. My buds and I skin up and take a trip down....pure backcountry. No lifts. No lines. No snow-making. No lights. Just you and the mountain. Been up 3 times in the past 5 days between storms.

So, I'm a little jealous of you guys working your land. But, until the snow melts I'll be on my skis!

Up2_zps3lg0nsd7.jpg

Last edited:
Natty - What ........ you let 3 or 4 feet of snow keep you from habitat work ????? You sissy !!!! :emoji_astonished: :emoji_grinning:

That pic is really cool, Natty. You guys HAVE gotten pounded up there the last week to 10 days. I think a warm-up is on the way - warmer SW winds. Gonna be around 60 here on the weekend. Enjoy the snow while it lasts. I love being out when the woods look like that. Quiet.

Natty that's got to be pretty cool when you are the one making tracks down the mountain in the untouched blanket of snow :emoji_skier:

Do it! Go get a new saw!! :) I just got a new one 2 weeks ago. I'll be out this weekend in Northern Kentucky on my 51 acre farm. Friday it will be 60 degrees!! I have a lot of hinging to do as well and a couple food plots in the woods to continue clearing out. Can't wait to get out and enjoy the outdoors!!!

I did buy the new saw, I bought a Stihl MS 261c, it is a smaller saw, but it will handle 90% of what I need cut. I have an older Husky with a 24 inch bar that will handle the rest. The MS 261 zipped right through the trees, and its a light saw that you could work on all day if you needed too.

I did buy the new saw, I bought a Stihl MS 261c, it is a smaller saw, but it will handle 90% of what I need cut. I have an older Husky with a 24 inch bar that will handle the rest. The MS 261 zipped right through the trees, and its a light saw that you could work on all day if you needed too.

Stihl makes a great saw, my wife bought me the MS 271 Farm Boss 20'' this year for Christmas. Like you said they are easy to use all day and handle the bulk of any project work.

Sweet! Enjoy!!! I also am getting my disc set in today for my ATV. I plan do be breaking some ground soon!!! And I have lots of trees to cut the day after tomorrow. :)

I have a few months yet before there will be any ground breaking around me. My plot still has about 8 inches of hard crust snow on it. Although activity is starting to pick up on my food plots, I am getting a lot more pictures. But I am not sure if that is because of the snow melting, or because of the chainsaw work I did a couple weeks ago.

I just wish my wife and son considered the foodplots, and TSI/hinge cutting fun, rather then work. To me it is a challenge to see how my tweaks on my land improve hunting. To my son it is this crazy old man wants to go do more work.

Stihl makes a great saw, my wife bought me the MS 271 Farm Boss 20'' this year for Christmas. Like you said they are easy to use all day and handle the bulk of any project work.

Great wives think alike! My wife bought me an MS 251 Wood Boss for Christmas. Expanding my food plots trails and hinge cutting are tied for my top priorities moving forward this winter. I have lots of 3"- 6" trees on my place. I'd like to get at least a couple 1/4 acre areas hinged. Between the new saw and my Silky Zubat, which is just about my favorite tool right now, it should be plenty of fun.

4wanderingeyes - i know what you mean. I have one son who considers habitat work fun, one who thinks it's work and one who isn't much interested. Our thing doesn't have to be their thing though.

Natty - What ........ you let 3 or 4 feet of snow keep you from habitat work ????? You sissy !!!! :emoji_astonished: :emoji_grinning:

That pic is really cool, Natty. You guys HAVE gotten pounded up there the last week to 10 days. I think a warm-up is on the way - warmer SW winds. Gonna be around 60 here on the weekend. Enjoy the snow while it lasts. I love being out when the woods look like that. Quiet.

I hear you Bowsnbucks...looking for a warm up. Slight one this weekend regionally, but I am at decent elevation and never get the benefit. I love all this snow! One drawback is that when we get nailed like this we then have a crazy mud season throughout April and into May.

Natty that's got to be pretty cool when you are the one making tracks down the mountain in the untouched blanket of snow :emoji_skier:

Yeah, it's pretty special bueller. I'm lucky to be able to do it. Skiing in the Northeast is mostly hard-pack ice skiing. But in the backcountry if it's cold the powder will persist. It's like the kind of snow you get out west or in Europe.

I have a few months yet before there will be any ground breaking around me. My plot still has about 8 inches of hard crust snow on it. Although activity is starting to pick up on my food plots, I am getting a lot more pictures. But I am not sure if that is because of the snow melting, or because of the chainsaw work I did a couple weeks ago.

I just wish my wife and son considered the foodplots, and TSI/hinge cutting fun, rather then work. To me it is a challenge to see how my tweaks on my land improve hunting. To my son it is this crazy old man wants to go do more work.

That is so true. I had the thought last weekend how much I hate doing house chores, but how much I love cutting and moving trees even though the latter is much more strenous. It all depends upon the meaning we place on it that determines my experience. I'll try to have a better attitude with dusting and vacuuming, and I'll continue to enjoy sweating in the woods. :)

What's the best husky saw for hinging and just use around the farm I don't need anything huge

What's the best husky saw for hinging and just use around the farm I don't need anything huge
Well, I"m not a saw expert, but I like mine. I"m like you, I need it a lot, but do not need a big one. So I got a 16" husky (I think is is the 435). I love it! Works great for me so far.

I would say a 550xp 16 inch bar would fit your needs perfect.

Well, I"m not a saw expert, but I like mine. I"m like you, I need it a lot, but do not need a big one. So I got a 16" husky (I think is is the 435). I love it! Works great for me so far.
I'll second the 435. Plenty enough power for small hardwoods, yet light enough for hinge work.