Who's working in the woods this weekend?

b175531bc657c1eba39e130eaee395b4.jpg

Managed to toss 100 lbs of black oil sunflower seed into this rye strip, and mow it down on top of ‘em. Also got the clover mowed, and started firebreaks across the NWSG/weed patch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We finally had a break in the weather. Heat indexes at or over 100 for the last couple of weeks. Heat index of 116 at one point last week. Today it was 62 at 7:00 a.m. i went out and got a lot done today. Mowed my campground, watered my fruit trees. Out of ten new trees planted I lost one to frost, one to the heat and have another one barely hanging on. There are a couple doing really well and another five that look healthy for now. Time will tell I guess.

Buckwheat in my new plot is doing well. Deer are using it some. It’s starting to set hard seed so if timing and weather cooperate I’ll overseed it with more buckwheat next week and then mow the old crop down on top of it. Hopefully get a little growth before putting in my fall plots. I’ve been really impressed with the buckwheat in my newly cleared plot.

I also overseeded one of my weedy plots with buckwheat and mowed the weeds and clover down on top of the seeds. It’s more of an experiment than a plan. We’ll see what happens over the next few weeks. We don’t have much chance of rain in the immediate forecast and the high temps are coming back again in a couple days. I’ll post more detail on my land tour thread.
9F8835B9-C2F4-4DB7-AA6C-0FCD84033A35.jpeg831D4242-66B2-4D4A-B5B3-25FC34ACDF11.jpeg22F8A7B6-46AD-487B-9188-11017670A423.jpeg871BE3C4-865F-4334-BA45-F7E754852470.jpegEA055A14-F5F5-4631-B40F-DB7A60842EBE.jpeg

Before it got too hot today fired up the chainsaws and dropped some of the hedge trees in my contract. Treated more honey locusts. Hit some unwanted broad leafs with 2 4 D. Cleaned the garage last night and got all my tree tubes arranged and ready for fall planting in a few months. Checked trail cameras. May go cut some ash tonight.

just got i from day two in a row workin the dirt........ ran the york rake over 4 acres of plowed and disced plots, ran the rake to smoothe and knock out some of the weed seeds, one or two more times before I plant for fall and it should knock quite a bit of the seed bank down. plowed an acre and a half yesterday, another acre today after getting rid of a mess one of the storms left, 4 trees came down across one plot, a norway maple, choke cherry, and two boxelder. Did bit of plot for me too, ran the plow up and back to the center in the middle of dent corn plot, then hit it 4 passes with the disc. Into this I added 2 lbs of sweet corn, 65 day, and a 75 day just to see if I can reap and enjoy later on in the fall. If I get oout in the middle of the week I have 2 acres of dent to hit with roundup, then 250 lbs of 25 5 20 to spread on that. Looks like I need to re spray an area that refuses to die Maybe switch hit it with 24 d to get rid of the gly resistant junk in there.

If the heat index is approaching 110 and you feel the need to walk around spot spraying Johnson grass don't do it. I'm in the shade waiting on the wife to come get me in the SxS.

I've been cutting trees til my saws go dull. Took today off to play on the lake. I'll post my smallmouth catch in the fishing thread later.

Decided I was done taking chances in the woods. Last year I wore a harness for the first time. This year added life lines to all my treestands.

Ahead of the game this year, got all my stands set yesterday including all shooting lanes an entry an exit paths. 5 new stand sites, 3 staying the same. First sit in a new location is always fun.

Also got some planting prep done for next spring. Measured, marked out, trimmed, sprayed an put down some elemental sulfur. For a winter bedding project area.

Attachments

• 20180714_110344.jpg
    20180714_110344.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 22
Decided I was done taking chances in the woods. Last year I wore a harness for the first time. This year added life lines to all my treestands.

Ahead of the game this year, got all my stands set yesterday including all shooting lanes an entry an exit paths. 5 new stand sites, 3 staying the same. First sit in a new location is always fun.

Also got some planting prep done for next spring. Measured, marked out, trimmed, sprayed an put down some elemental sulfur. For a winter bedding project area.
Yay! Be safe. There’s just no reason these days to not be prepared when climbing a tree. There’s so much good quality safety equipment available. Someone somewhere is depending on you to come home safe after a hunt. We owe it to them to take every reasonable precaution.

Just got word from local members at camp there are fields sprayed, disked, harrowed - ready to cultipack & plant. We'll be putting in PTT, DER, GHR, more buckwheat - and in a few more weeks - WW, WR, oats. Deer have been busy in the clover & alfalfa plots.

Bush hogging duck plot tomorrow, disking it on Sunday, planting on Monday. Tuesday will fish. Wed will seed some millet on mudflats left from receding water. Thursday will bush hog trails and maybe a food plot. 105 degree temps not helping. Haven't planned past that.

God bless you. 105 degrees is a bit warm for me. We're off to the Sterling Renaissance Festival today to engage some bawdy wenches and throw back a few ales. Maybe toss a dwarf or two...

I’m heading out today with the backpack blower. Gonna blow as much as I can off the access trails. Clean up all the recently fallen branches and tree tops. And then next time around some roundup followed by ground clear on the trails. Minimal noise and less vegetation to leave scent on is the goal.

Trying to get some work done. But a foggy/misty July morning, that honestly feels like early fall. Has my spraying on hold at the minute.

This apple is a trooper, fighting his way back from being nearly wiped out. Down to a single branch per se. Wish I had pics, pretty major surgery this spring.

Last is a 1 leaf sweet 16, like how he handled his first year in the ground.

Also, found the 1 gal spray tanks make paint app a breeze.

Attachments

• 20180721_072753.jpg
    20180721_072753.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 21
  • 20180721_073423.jpg
    20180721_073423.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20180721_072958.jpg
    20180721_072958.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Mixed 50/50
no, definitely not a mist, but good enough.

went to camp in NY last week. worked on trail access, food plots and put up fire wood for the winter.20180724_130718.jpg
gunner was tired (zoom in on rtv. waiting for ride back to camp20180724_160644.jpg
IMG951893.jpg

Back in IL, had 3 days of rain forecast, so did this...20180729_142513.jpg
spread seed, 3 days rain forecasted...no rain. hope rain soon. Can only imagine stress of farmers.

Well I thought we were going to miss the rain today and I had plenty of other stuff to do so I put off spraying and broadcasting brassicas until tomorrow. It started to drizzle late afternoon so I checked the radar and of course a steady rain was moving in. Rushed out and got my seed spread. I plan to spray in the morning. Ended up getting just shy of a 1/2 inch. Should work out well as the ATV tires will push the seed into the wet ground.

i started hanging my rebuilt hang-on stands this weekend. replaced all the cables with chain, new grade 8 bolts, fresh paint, new 11,000 lb. rated ratchet straps. a couple in old spots, one new set. got the lanes trimmed up. found a tree for another new set. continuing next weekend. 5 or 6 to go at the farm. 2 at home. fertilizing my brassica plot at home this week ahead of rain.

not so much on the weekend, but braved the 95 degree day and did plots number 1, 2, and 3 today. I had plowed them under a month ago or so, disced a week later, and today arrive to see a beautiful stand of foxtail grass, I hate that stuff. Turned the disc loose on it and after two passes it was shriveling dead. Plot 1 got 7 card stud from evolve, with an added 4 lbs per acre of ptt. Plot 2 got 4llb per acre ptt, and 4 lb ac of DUrana white clover. Plot 3 got straight 7 card stud. worked my high ground giving the lower areas another day to dry out.