All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's working in the woods this weekend?

We didn’t get as much rain as I hoped. Only a little over an inch at my place. 5 miles south got 3”. Gonna spray some more today in preparation for planting buckwheat.

Illegal for us to hunt hogs. State does a great job at keeping them at bay.

What does your state do to keep them at bay? Our state went with no hunting for hogs on the WMA's and NWR's for a few years. Now, consider we have had hogs on many of those areas for almost 100 years. You can only imagine how much the population can increase over four or five years of basically no pubic hunting. One of my properties backs up to one of these areas - and the hogs have literally overwhelmed me and the property - to the point I am considering giving up all management efforts over there. Before the adjacent property became a hog refuge - that land of mine was the best I had.

They helicopter gun them and get 90+% landowner cooperation. They’ll go several miles into Oklahoma after them. They’ve totally eradicated a couple populations. We are one of the few states winning the battle and other states are looking at our model.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kansas.com/sports/outdoors/article142002374.html

Sounds like the helicopter scenes from Apocalypse Now

bill

Watch out for poison ivy!39B51E3B-04BD-4039-BB07-EC184A57F1CC.jpeg

Yikes!

Ouch! Our east fenceline is loaded with it.

We can't get much done here - rain every day. If it's not pouring, it's an easy, steady rain. Good for the water table .......... stinks for food plot work, & other chores at camp. They say we may get a few days without rain next week. We're stuck in monsoon season.

I'm hoping to spray most of my plots this weekend in preparation for soybean and sugar beet planting.

Still praying for rain here. Little thundershower going by right now making a turkey gobble.

Got some free foodplot seed from the state I need to get in the ground.4FD7A803-99F7-425A-A472-66CFB866A5A8.jpeg

I got our sorghum mix plots planted yesterday a mix of E-wheat, sorghum, millets, sunflowers, soys, peas a little of everything.

Not enough to do a throw and mow/roll so I lightly disced it and cultipacked it. It's raining now so I timed it right for once.

Before

HGmsrgp.jpg

7obu7Hq.jpg

After

Ko6SExJ.jpg

The dandelions in my campsite are growing quite well :).

Rain all weekend, but I finished the workweek with several hours last night using the forest clearing saw in our newest orchard. Two years ago, the site was covered prior to its conversion to an orchard with prickly ash, which is a native shrub/small tree, not an actual ash, and isn't susceptible to the borer. But we have enough of it on the property and it thickets like crazy. I left a perimeter border of 3-8' high prickly ash so the deer can have some privacy and mowed the inner part down to plant six Franklin and a few crabs. Now every year I need to re-cut all of the prickly ash stems that shoot up between my cages. Easy-peasy with the Husky FR345,

Next up is to spray gly around tubes. That's going to require some dry weather and more time, given the number of tubes that I need to treat. I keep telling myself that it will all be worth it in a few years as the mice and the deer and the voles and the bugs and the drought and the invasives take their toll...serenity now...

Got buckwheat planted before the rain came last night. Gotta spray some stuff so I can get another plot planted.

Well after planting and caging several trees, cutting and splitting firewood, and raking a mountain of leaves, i am taking a break by the lake to work on my orchard plans.

Taking a break ... :emoji_confused:

The only easy day around here was yesterday .... as Warren Zevon said ... I'll sleep when I am dead!

Well the break only lasted an hour. Then back to the demands of the camp. Tomorrow I have to tow a canoe full of bear food and digging tools to the woods and haul it all in. Plus at least five rewire cages.

They helicopter gun them and get 90+% landowner cooperation. They’ll go several miles into Oklahoma after them. They’ve totally eradicated a couple populations. We are one of the few states winning the battle and other states are looking at our model.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kansas.com/sports/outdoors/article142002374.html

Unfortunately, helicopter gunning is not an option in much of our heavily forested and mountainous state.

Today, I am going to bush hog my access trails on the upper ground on my place. Tuesday, I am going to work on removing logs and other drift from the trails on my lower ground. Wednsday, more of the same. Thursday, I am going to spray gly on some areas of sedge that have established since floodwaters receded, friday i am going to reseed one five acre eagleseed bean field destroyed by hogs, and Saturday I am going to start spraying invasive alligator weed in one of my duck holes.

Friday I'll head up to spray my 2 acre skinny plot with gly/2,4-d, and yes I'll be using AMS. :) I'll also spread half the P&K requirement for my Fall plot this weekend, as well as maybe another round of pelleted lime. I got 750LBS/acre last time, and need to do the same again. I figure the sooner the better.

Checking in a little late, but better late than never I guess.

Phase 4 of the planting season is complete
Got the 150ft hybrid willow screen in.
Advise anyone planning to do the same to just go ahead an get the planting tool from John. Made planting prep a breeze. Well made an sturdy, should last a life time.

Was able to do the site prep, planting plus watering an spray deer repelant in around 2 an a half hours by myself. Was hustling though to make it to the greenhouse before they closed.

Also found a little extra time to water the east orchards an attach tree tags to the cages.

Only 2 major plantings left for the season with a few miscellaneous side projects.

Spring is going by way to fast with the extended winter we had.

Attachments

• 20180520_112546.jpg
    20180520_112546.jpg
    691.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180520_140622.jpg
    20180520_140622.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 14
480f663d21f31c5c2661b4038a2a00bf.jpg

Just got done with what I hope will be a be new hot spot. Just not sure what to plant yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43aadca5d17c60ac4c51b5dce97e74e0.jpg
d008d03562274879bbb067901b8f7c9a.jpg

Finally got back in the woods today. Not doing bad just sprayed today. In August I’m going to over seed rye and oats.
c1451fc3d68f0ba123d35c3dc37d0a26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk