What's for dinner?

I was home alone, so I made my favorite meal again, and I enjoyed with my homemade wine and a nice view down the valley.20190917_185511.jpg20190917_185539.jpg

Great view Telemark! And a sweet meal.

Fresh tender elk steaks pan fried two minutes each side with peppers from the garden.

zUiZ3lp.jpg

Figured that meal was coming, H2O! Does it taste anything at all like a whitetail? I've heard it's better.

Figured that meal was coming, H2O! Does it taste anything at all like a whitetail? I've heard it's better.

I think it's better. More like yearling whitetail with just a hint of beef flavor to it, very tender. He ended up with just under 200 pounds of boned meat, lots of steaks a few roasts and some burger. I cooked up an elk burger tonight, the daughter loves the burger. Since he got his early he took the meat down to a town out there and had it processed and flash frozen then brought it home in coolers with dry ice.

I implore anyone who has never tried roasting whole shanks before to give it go.

I will no longer waste time trimming them for the grind pile. The connective tissue just melts.

Home grown froze corn/pickled green beans. Shanks and mashed spuds with pan dippings. Hot meal felt good on a cold rainy day.
20190929_102042.jpg
20190929_111846.jpg
20190929_170324.jpg

I haven't done that, but will try it in the future.

Rain never ends anymore, so I put half a button buck back strap in the broiler tonight rather than the grill. OMG. I like the thought of taking fawns late season with extra months of pounds on them, but the plan is to now have one on the tailgate next weekend. Tastes like veal.

20190929_192744.jpg

I do shanks in the slow cooker. Possibly my favorite part of the deer.

I haven't done that, but will try it in the future.

Rain never ends anymore, so I put half a button buck back strap in the broiler tonight rather than the grill. OMG. I like the thought of taking fawns late season with extra months of pounds on them, but the plan is to now have one on the tailgate next weekend. Tastes like veal.

View attachment 26485

Have to agree with you there. Excelllent food.

I really appreciate this thread. It always reminds me to go pull something out of the freezer. I tend to hoard my fish and game and not use it for every-day meals, but after I read this thread I'm inspired to go dig around in the freezer and make a dinner plan.

Kind of a throw together the other night, cheese filled tortellini's and raviolis with sausage

R4niy8O.png

Nothing fancy here but my wife and I both have really busy nights all week and the kids were all gone today so I turned in some football and just started cooking. The plan was to grill enough to get us through Wednesday. All we have to do is make up some veggies or French fries every night and we’re all set.

Brats, pork chops, burgers, and of course some Ball Park franks.
6A6CE6AF-718F-469D-B64D-28C6350EE63C.jpegF57C4295-6CFB-4AFC-95D9-378CED13E863.jpegC75BAD2A-45BB-4B26-893B-FC424FB6B5A8.jpegD7F41823-DE31-4B20-9648-61B58B5418A7.jpeg

^^^ I’d be eating a little of each the first night!

A lot of tailgate lunches the past few days then back at it chasing birds...sharp cheddar and deer summer sausage, even had some smoked salmon Friday.

ODxcfhV.png

No pictures and not dinner but hard to beat for a quick lunch. Take a tostada and spread some sour cream on it. Next load it up with some canned venison (warmed first in the microwave). Top it off with some leftover Taco Bell sauce. Just ate three of them. Simple, fast, and frankly quite awesome.
*Drain the warmed venison for a "cleaner" tostada

Top 5 meal for me Bill, just need a piece of white bread an butter on the side.
Only difference is grandmas an mine look just a stitch different.