What to do now?

Off subject but we used to hunt on a friends property by my parents house and he told us one time a guy built a permanent tree stand on his land without permission. So he waited until the opening morning of rifle season and walked in right after daylight and chewed him out. The dumbest part is the guy lets anyone hunt as long as they ask permission.
There's NO LIMIT to what some guys will pull. Just a suggestion for going forward - build a "saw-horse" of sorts, long enough to span most of that access road. Put "no trespassing/no hunting" signs all across the top piece of lumber. If you need to drive in there yourself - it's just a quick setting aside of the saw-horse - but no one will be able to claim they "didn't see it in the dark." If someone can't see a road blockade plastered with white or yellow signs in the dark as they walk up to it, they're to blind to be carrying a gun anyway!!

Good luck catching the slob.

There's NO LIMIT to what some guys will pull. Just a suggestion for going forward - build a "saw-horse" of sorts, long enough to span most of that access road. Put "no trespassing/no hunting" signs all across the top piece of lumber. If you need to drive in there yourself - it's just a quick setting aside of the saw-horse - but no one will be able to claim they "didn't see it in the dark." If someone can't see a road blockade plastered with white or yellow signs in the dark as they walk up to it, they're to blind to be carrying a gun anyway!!

Good luck catching the slob.
Ya he obviously knows exactly what he's doing. Not wearing orange and covering his face. He walked by my western neighbors posters then past mine and then I'm sure past my eastern neighbors. I have some ideas to get him.

Ya he obviously knows exactly what he's doing. Not wearing orange and covering his face. He walked by my western neighbors posters then past mine and then I'm sure past my eastern neighbors. I have some ideas to get him.

If you are not on Facebook, have a friend post the pictures of him. I did that and he was quickly, and publicly identified by name. He was local actually lived near my property. Neighbors put a lot of pressure on him and have never had a problem with him since. He actually called to apologize, with the typical excuses, and asked that I would not prosecute.

If you are not on Facebook, have a friend post the pictures of him. I did that and he was quickly, and publicly identified by name. He was local actually lived near my property. Neighbors put a lot of pressure on him and have never had a problem with him since. He actually called to apologize, with the typical excuses, and asked that I would not prosecute.
Did you prosecute?

Had my first memory card stolen a few weeks ago and then last Friday morn there was some wild shooting right up on or in us. Afraid I'm going to have to get a cell cam or two even though I hate the thought.

Did you prosecute?

Had my first memory card stolen a few weeks ago and then last Friday morn there was some wild shooting right up on or in us. Afraid I'm going to have to get a cell cam or two even though I hate the thought.

No, he was pressured pretty good by the neighbors who know him well as he actually trespassed on their property. Sometimes the local militia does a better job than the police.

Ya I sent the picture to the non hunting neighbors. Trying to get a hold of the neighbor on the other side. He doesn't live in the area any more but his parents do.

I bought a chunk of ground a few years back about 3 miles from my house. Had trespasser issues for the first year. Apple thief in the fall and turkey hunter in the spring. Both of them were caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I called all the neighbors and notified them I had a trespasser, sent them pictures to see if they could be identified, and told them I'd be asking for maximum penalty. Both of them were caught and fined.
Knock on wood, but I think word is out and haven't had any problems since.

I bought a chunk of ground a few years back about 3 miles from my house. Had trespasser issues for the first year. Apple thief in the fall and turkey hunter in the spring. Both of them were caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I called all the neighbors and notified them I had a trespasser, sent them pictures to see if they could be identified, and told them I'd be asking for maximum penalty. Both of them were caught and fined.
Knock on wood, but I think word is out and haven't had any problems since.
Ya I had the same problem when I first bought mine too. But it was a historically unposted property with out of town owners so I wasn't shocked. Then it stopped for a few years until now. I don't get it either, there are far better places to trespass in the area and where I think he's headed would be an easy place to get caught.

Anyway the neighbors are pretty pissed. They've both reached out to me about it already. If the guy is going to where I think he's going he would easily be in their safety zones too so I completely understand.

if I see someone hunting my property the warden/sheriff is going to make the contact if at all possible. Let’s em know you’re serious without possibly putting yourself in a shitty situation with an armed person who clearly has less to lose than you.

Anyone remember the Chai Vang story?

if I see someone hunting my property the warden/sheriff is going to make the contact if at all possible. Let’s em know you’re serious without possibly putting yourself in a shitty situation with an armed person who clearly has less to lose than you.

I was already in contact with the state trooper from earlier in the year. I just forwarded this pic to him too. If I can find out who it is I plan to have the trooper make contact. Damn I just read the Chai Vang story. Definitely have the trooper make contact.

My step-dad's brother lived across the street from Vang at the time. Very sad.

Some guys just don't give a sh##. My camp has bright yellow Ty-vec posters all along our border, including along a mountain road that touches our line. You can even see them in the dark, being BRIGHT yellow. Despite the number of bright yellow signs, one opening morning of rifle season, a hunter appeared in our fields at first light!!! He was a bit agitated because "someone" had told him he could hunt ANYWHERE on this mountain. He was ushered off the property in short order.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it??

Anyway the neighbors are pretty pissed. They've both reached out to me about it already. If the guy is going to where I think he's going he would easily be in their safety zones too so I completely understand.
All the camps on our mountain are on the same page as far as trespassers go. We all prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, ( like Brian662 said above ) and we all look out for each other's properties. We even swapped contact info in case we see any problems. I was driving past a neighboring camp one weekend, when I noticed a window was broken in the front of their cabin. I stopped to survey the damage, checked around the back of their camp, and called one of the owners as soon as I got in cell phone signal location. Owners live a couple hours away from their camp, and were pissed about the break-in, but glad I stopped when I saw the broken window & called them.

A guy was seen sitting in his truck along our mountain road on a rifle season morning. He had pulled over in a spot where he could watch the side of a hill (with his truck pointing up the hill for easy viewing). The entire area on both sides of the road for several miles is private property ..... and WELL-POSTED. That slob's license number was taken by a neighboring camp member and reported to the landowner, who took appropriate legal action. Neighboring landowner cooperation is crucial to stop slobs.

It's good you & your neighbors are together on the trespasser(s). Several sets of eyes watching are better than one. Open communication & cooperation by landowners is essential IMO. Good luck getting your guy!!

Some guys just don't give a sh##. My camp has bright yellow Ty-vec posters all along our border, including along a mountain road that touches our line. You can even see them in the dark, being BRIGHT yellow. Despite the number of bright yellow signs, one opening morning of rifle season, a hunter appeared in our fields at first light!!! He was a bit agitated because "someone" had told him he could hunt ANYWHERE on this mountain. He was ushered off the property in short order.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it??
Yup and as the season goes on the more and more desperate people get. Late archery/muzzleloader can be a free for all at times. People just assume nobody else is going to be around and they can hunt wherever.

All the camps on our mountain are on the same page as far as trespassers go. We all prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, ( like Brian662 said above ) and we all look out for each other's properties. We even swapped contact info in case we see any problems. I was driving past a neighboring camp one weekend, when I noticed a window was broken in the front of their cabin. I stopped to survey the damage, checked around the back of their camp, and called one of the owners as soon as I got in cell phone signal location. Owners live a couple hours away from their camp, and were pissed about the break-in, but glad I stopped when I saw the broken window & called them.

A guy was seen sitting in his truck along our mountain road on a rifle season morning. He had pulled over in a spot where he could watch the side of a hill (with his truck pointing up the hill for easy viewing). The entire area on both sides of the road for several miles is private property ..... and WELL-POSTED. That slob's license number was taken by a neighboring camp member and reported to the landowner, who took appropriate legal action. Neighboring landowner cooperation is crucial to stop slobs.

It's good you & your neighbors are together on the trespasser(s). Several sets of eyes watching are better than one. Open communication & cooperation by landowners is essential IMO. Good luck getting your guy!!
Ya it's nice having them there and now they're on the look out. I'm only 15 minutes away but one works from home and the other is retired so they're there almost all the time.

Yup and as the season goes on the more and more desperate people get. Late archery/muzzleloader can be a free for all at times. People just assume nobody else is going to be around and they can hunt wherever.
that is the case in archery season (sometimes in rifle too, but harder to hide a rifle shot) and the late flintlock season at our farm...we have a dirt township toad that runs down through the middle of our place...this fall a guy and a kid weren't even trying to hide it as they had the crossbow sticking out the window as they crept down the road...what they didn't know was there were 3 sets of eyes glued to them the whole time...I think my brother got their license plate number

Fellas, unfortunately it's only going to get worse. As land prices have doubled in recent years, lease numbers and cost are steadily increasing...access to private ground via knocking on the door is a way of the past. That in itself will drive more people onto private lands without permission, especially when public land parking areas continue to be full of vehicles.

20 years ago I didn't deer hunt, but I chased waterfowl relentlessly. At least a few times a year when knocking on doors for permission on fields, I was asked if I deer hunt because the farmer had a deer problem and wanted to get rid of some. I wish that was still the case around by me.

.this fall a guy and a kid weren't even trying to hide it as they had the crossbow sticking out the window as they crept down the road...
Crossbows are the new poaching tool of choice that has gotten / will get plenty of use by the slobs. Perfect weapon for poaching.

Crossbows are the new poaching tool of choice that has gotten / will get plenty of use by the slobs. Perfect weapon for poaching.
this past weekend looking for a deer I had hit in a thick brushy bottom not far from that road we found 4 dead deer, some fresh and some not...not sure if that is just where they go to die/hide because it is thick or if there is that much poaching going on...i mean if you're going to poach at least remove the evidence right? (sarcasm...)

this past weekend looking for a deer I had hit in a thick brushy bottom not far from that road we found 4 dead deer, some fresh and some not...not sure if that is just where they go to die/hide because it is thick or if there is that much poaching going on...i mean if you're going to poach at least remove the evidence right? (sarcasm...)
Wow 4. Could they be roadkilled or shot for sure? I swear there have been an abnormal amount of roadkills around me this year.