What to do now?

PatinPA

5 year old buck +
I've had a nice 8 pt. very visible in the daylight. Never a good thing around me. Especially when he hangs out in the wide open hayfield next door. He's walked by this stand at least 5 times in the daylight in the last week. I might have a good shot at him opening day.

Of course this also attracts a lot of bad attention too. Now I got this joker just brazenly walking right in the driveway past 3 posted signs and I recently purple painted all along the road. Especially like that he's openly carrying. What's that for? In case he gets caught? Well hopefully I don't see him again.

I__00002 cut.jpg

Attachments

• I__00002 cut.jpg
    I__00002 cut.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 35
He apparently doesn't care about getting his picture taken either because I have an old decoy camera right there for the sole purpose of keeping people out. He walked right past it.

Definitely send that to the police (especially since he was armed). So long as his uncle isn't the chief or something you might be able to get some teeth behind it if you catch him.
Also, the police/wardens may know him.
The other option is to put it on FB, if nothing else it may dissuade the person if they see that they were caught.

Show the police the pic of him carrying. Pretty aggressive approach, I would stress to police your concern about you and your family's safety with an armed person entering your property.

Regarding the buck, if you know he is there, stay out, stop checking cameras and let him live undisturbed.

Show the police the pic of him carrying. Pretty aggressive approach, I would stress to police your concern about you and your family's safety with an armed person entering your property.

Regarding the buck, if you know he is there, stay out, stop checking cameras and let him live undisturbed.
or kill him on the first day on Saturday and start saving for the taxidermy bill!!

He's used to the intrusions. I was there Saturday and went back Sunday to replace batteries in another camera and I grabbed that one and he had walked through that saturday evening. I know about where he's bedding. Just need the right wind. There is a lot of human activity around me. Neighbors constantly walking their dogs, riding bikes, etc. That'll change I'm sure come Saturday.

I would send a picture around to your neighbors, and ask if they know who this is. It may be a neighbor trying to retrieve his dog, or some other self justified reason to trespass. Just because someone is carrying a weapon, doesnt make him a threat, I carry very often, and I am not much of a threat. I respect my neighbors boundaries, and I expect the same from them, but over the years I have went onto my neighbors property without calling them, and I know they have done the same. Is this a first time the person has been pictured on your land?

Then again, it could be a mass killer looking to murder the land owner, you never know!

or kill him on the first day on Saturday and start saving for the taxidermy bill!!
That's the plan. Hopefully I get the right off wind Saturday afternoon. Going to stay out of there in the morning because I'm not 100% sure how he's getting back to where he beds. I have a couple morning pics of him in various places but I don't want to risk it.

I would send a picture around to your neighbors, and ask if they know who this is. It may be a neighbor trying to retrieve his dog, or some other self justified reason to trespass. Just because someone is carrying a weapon, doesnt make him a threat, I carry very often, and I am not much of a threat. I respect my neighbors boundaries, and I expect the same from them, but over the years I have went onto my neighbors property without calling them, and I know they have done the same. Is this a first time the person has been pictured on your land?

Then again, it could be a mass killer looking to murder the land owner, you never know!
First pic of him. I know a few of the neighbors and he isn't any of them. I had problems with the farm to the north trespassing but that seemed to have stopped after the first year. I expected that because it had been an unposted property forever.

I'm not going to get too concerned unless I see him again. You could be right. He might've been looking for a dog or something. He didn't vandalize or steal anything that I'm aware of.

My biggest concern is I plan to take my 8 yr old son often this year and I don't really want any confrontations with him there.

I don't think giving the trespasser a free pass is going to help things. You will just be delaying dealing with the issue since he will be back or someone else will be back.

I wouldn't want an armed trespasser walking around my property, especially if I would be hunting with my kids up there in the near future.

Ok maybe I'll give the state police a call. I doubt they'll do anything but at least I can get it on record. If I never see him again, good. If he's back I'll already have something on him. I'll have to put a camera up over along my neighbors parking area. It looks like that's where he came from. Maybe I can get a license plate if he does come back.

I don't know where your land is located, but in small towns word spreads pretty quickly when the police starts asking around about a person caught on camera. I think turning him in is a good idea and hopefully the issue goes away.

My parents place seems to be much more rural than your land but they send pics of trespassers to the sheriff's department. The first time they ever contacted the sheriffs department the trespassers were identified and warned about a week later. The land is completely surrounded by public so there aren't even neighbors to consider.

Maybe it's just that I'm more engrained with concealed carry but having the shirt tucked behind the holster and the deer rack shirt aren't sending good signals..

My parents place seems to be much more rural than your land but they send pics of trespassers to the sheriff's department. The first time they ever contacted the sheriffs department the trespassers were identified and warned about a week later. The land is completely surrounded by public so there aren't even neighbors to consider.

Maybe it's just that I'm more engrained with concealed carry but having the shirt tucked behind the holster and the deer rack shirt aren't sending good signals..
Thanks I didn't even think of the Sheriff. I contacted him. The state police up there cover 3 counties and aren't based in that one so I might be better off with the sheriff.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about it to much unless it seems like he is a habitual trespasser but if your concerned I think the sheriff is your best bet.

I emailed the sheriff. I'll start off with that, then I at least have written notice that's dated. I'll see what he says back. I'll follow up with a phone call.

I'll have to start doing some evening drive by's and put some cameras out by the road.

Sucks to deal with trespassers, I feel your pain there. I usually give them the benefit of the doubt but a guy packin a pistol with a Bone Collector shirt tells me he is more than likely a hunter. Maybe just a hunter looking for a lost dog but that is about the only non-nefarious reason I can think of.
Glad you reported it, better to get it documented now rather than later bud. Best of luck on the 8 point! This is the first year I don't have a shooter buck on trailcam but I did put my cams out a week late this year. I have a doe and 2 fawns in my food plot I can see from my house daily but never get a pic of them because the cam is facing the uphill side of the plot so hopefully there are bucks I am not seeing on cams.

Good luck out there this year bud!

Post that pic up on HPA. Someone over there will know him.