UTV Purchase

For what it’s worth I own a Can Am Commander XT 1000. It’s great if you’re looking for more of a “sport” UTV. I do use it for working on the farm but it’s design is clearly not for that. It’s comfortable to drive but not easy to get in and out of (kind of like getting in and out of a sports car). No way to ride 3 comfortably up front unless someone wants to sit on the console. As mentioned you better have your beer in a yeti if it’s in the console. It’s fun if you’re looking to zip around and do “sport” activity, but I’ll be selling it and getting something with more space as my family gets older and starts going to the farm with me. I also own an Arctic Cat 750 TRV. I bought it new in 2006 and it’s been an outstanding machine. The 2nd seat is really comfortable. My folks have two John Deere’s and seem to be very happy with them. I’ll be looking at the Kubota machines for my next UTV since that’s what my tractor dealership sells. Curious if anyone on here has much personal experience with the Kubota machines...haven’t seen much posted about them.
Love my rtv 400. Bought it with 50 lightly used hours. I have beaten the snot out of it and had zero problems. It is NOT fast, max speed 25mph (feels more like 15) and not a ton of power but for 6k I got a great, versatile, functional, handy, tough vehicle with a tight turning radius. Just a two-seater but the bed holds two Labs and a chainsaw. Only complaint is low ground clearance, tough to get through more than a few inches of snow. I will definitely consider upgrading to a larger kubota when the kid grows up and I need more than a 2-seater.

Ranger 570 full size is hard to beat but I would take a look at 2020 can am defender hd5 before you commit.
I went back and read the full thread and saw this. Oh my I like that thing. Especially the defender XT HD8.

Hi habitat experts. We are considering purchasing our first UTV. We have been getting by for years on our mid 90s yamaha timberwolfs (250 2x4). While they have done the job, we are finally ready for an upgrade. For us, smaller is probably better. We don't have plans to plow snow with it. Maybe use a sprayer with it for weeds and plots but that would be out. Basically a means for transportation around our property. Use it for planting trees and hauling apples. Given our place is off the grid, electric does not seem viable even though we've got a robust implementation of solar.

Without doing any homework on this yet, thinking something like a Ranger 570 may be a good fit.
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-570-full-size/

What are your experiences with these things? What should a first time buyer know.
Thanks
-Ed
Crazy Ed any decisions yet?

I just bought a 2020 Can-Am Defender XT HD8. Added front and rear glass. That things is going to be worlds of difference from my ATV.

Ranger 570 Full Size.

So I am now thinking of getting a side x side. I want to be able to get into my wetland so looking at the CanAm MAX Xmr. Would be nice to drive to my duck spot instead of wading through mud carrying decoys. Also could carry cooler out in the summer

So far so good on the Ranger. Nice machine, huge upgrade from our 1994 yamaha timberwolve 250 2x4s to say the least.

I hate being late to the party, but I have to nix the guy who had problems with his electric UTV. I've had an HuntVe Electric 4x4 for 10 years now and just bought another one! I've owned a Honda quad, and I've owned a Honda Pioneer 1000, too, and still like the HuntVe a lot more. Now, if you're riding for hours and hours a day, yea, electric isn't for you. But if you have 5-50 acres and you want something to use daily on your property. Electric is the only way to go. You get in, and push the throttle. You don't start it, put it in gear, take the emergency brake off, nor do you have put it back in park, turn it off, etc. For me, that was really the deal breaker with the Pioneer. I'm in and out all day long, sometimes only moving 20 or 30' at a time. Having a gas motor, was a real PITA. My electric HuntVe's go anywhere and through anything. I use one for my pond dredging business and it backs a dredge trailer into ponds and then pulls it out daily through 15" of pond muck. They have a tremendous about of torque and it's available immediately. Yep, you do have to hook up a single hose and keep the batteries topped off with DI water every couple of weeks and you have to plug in it and charge it every couple of weeks. Every 6 years or so, new batteries. Very simple to use and to work on. No; gas motors, injectors, gas, filters, exhaust systems, spark plugs, coils, radiators, etc. Just a motor and a controller. If I had hundreds of acres or more, yep, I'd have kept the Pioneer, but for small farms I think electric is the only way to go. Oh, and it's dead quiet.

8WL2Vne.jpg

We have an older stealth and use it a ton at home messing around in the yard. Use it way more than the mule. We also Use it a lot getting deer out and doing in season maintenance to create the least amount of disturbance possible. I know there are several electric ones with major issues but ours has been great also.

A guy really needs two as both serve a purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I put a deposit down an a CanAm several weeks ago. Got a text from the dealer today, saying "Santa came early!" with this pic:

1607034344180.png