UTV Purchase

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
Hi habitat experts. We are considering purchasing our first UTV. We have been getting by for years on our mid 90s yamaha timberwolfs (250 2x4). While they have done the job, we are finally ready for an upgrade. For us, smaller is probably better. We don't have plans to plow snow with it. Maybe use a sprayer with it for weeds and plots but that would be out. Basically a means for transportation around our property. Use it for planting trees and hauling apples. Given our place is off the grid, electric does not seem viable even though we've got a robust implementation of solar.

Without doing any homework on this yet, thinking something like a Ranger 570 may be a good fit.
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-570-full-size/

What are your experiences with these things? What should a first time buyer know.
Thanks
-Ed

I almost bought a ranger 570. The dealer actually talked me out of it. I was going to get the 570-4 and ended up getting the 900-6 for not much more money. It is smoother running with more power, and has so much more cab room and cockpit room for the driver, passengers, etc. I have only had it for six months, so cant attest to the longevity of it - but it is a daily driver and no problems yet. My son has one like mine that is three years old with no problems. I also have an 11 yr old polaris rzr with 7000 miles on it that still goes where you want it to. The 570 might be just the ticket for you, but do yourself a favor and drive the 900 before purchasing.

I just traded a 900 this weekend with under 1,000 miles on it. Not sure what the dealer will ask for it, or if it's accounted for yet. Haven't completed the trade yet, so it's not on his website. It's got a power bed hoist, if picking rocks is your thing. Over on the farming forum, guys seem to prefer Can Am to Polaris, at least the ones who are speaking up.

We have had the 570 Ranger for going on our 3rd year at the farm and I love it. We have an older 6x6 ranger that I think is much too big/wide. This 570 is much more agile and easier to maneuver in the woods. I highly recommend it!

Just upgraded my Kawasaki Mule 4010 to the Kawasaki Mule Pro-FX EPS. Had the 4010 for 16 years and it was a real work horse on the farm and for habitat work. Have had the Pro-FX EPS for about 6 months now and very happy with it. Plenty of power at 812 cc, 4x4, and liquid cooled. Big front seat and a big tilt back bed. You may want to consider.

We also have a Can-Am commander, 1000, and I much prefer the Ranger to the CanAm. The CanAm Commander - and I cant speak to any other model - gets HOT on the console between the two front seats. If you put your beer in the cup holder, it will be hot in five minutes. If someone sits on the console, you better have a pillow to keep the heat off them. The CanAm is much louder - it has a radio in it, but no way can you listen to the radio while operating the machine. The ride is also nothing near what the ride is on the Ranger 6 seater - but also consider the six seat ranger is longer. The CanAm ride is also not as smooth as the Polaris RZR I have, but the RZR is more a performance machine and equipped with a better suspension. Service cost on the CanAm is probably half again as high as Ranger. The Ranger is also much easier to get in and out of the the CanAm - and for sure, the RZR.

I bought a Honda Pioneer 700 a year ago and it's done everything I've wanted it too, I went in thinking I would want the 500 but it was just too small for me. Be aware that everything you may want is a add on like doors, roof, windshield etc.

Thanks to all the owners chiming in here, appreciate the stories and feedback. Please keep them coming if others have opinions. I was also curious if there were any Honda owners so thanks for chiming in Scott44!

Thanks to all the owners chiming in here, appreciate the stories and feedback. Please keep them coming if others have opinions. I was also curious if there were any Honda owners so thanks for chiming in Scott44!

I don't mean to disparage anyone's UTV - and not always comparing apples to apples. My best friend has a Honda 700 side by side - it is a nice rig that he has had no problems from in the two years he has owned it. He has driven my six seat Polaris and prefers the ride in the Polaris Ranger and said the shifting is much smoother in the Polaris Ranger. Now consider, he is comparing the single bench seat Honda to the double bench seat ranger. Generally, longer wheelbase vehicles ride better than short wheelbase vehicles - so his Honda may very well ride just as good or better than the Ranger if it had been as long a wheelbase. He tends cows, and his Honda is a daily driver, with no problems after two years - which speaks for itself.

I have a 2012 Ranger XP 800. I bought it used on craigslist and had to do the transmission, but was money ahead. Had a valve stick this winter and it burnt oil like crazy. So we redid the head too. Luckily one of the guys at work did it and did a bang up job on it. Beats waiting 4 weeks for the local guy to even look at it. I like it and it's a farm unit. Not a sexy racer, but I can put my chainsaw, wood, kids, tree stands, and just about anything else in it and it works like a dream. Beats my standard quad for bumping stuff around.

Plus last year while I did the throwing part of T&M, I put my 7 year old in it and had him drag the cultipacker around the plot. The wasn't runnig the straightest lines, but it got the job done.

Can't speak to the UTV, but I can vouch for my Polaris 800 Sportsman ATV. 2008 model that I have abused and neglected for 12 years. I service it when necessary, but do not take care of it like I should. It has been a workhorse and I will not even look at another brand when, if ever, I need another one.

Yeah I have a 325 Magnum from '00. Been perfectly dependable but recently developed an oil leak I need to investigate further. It's a lot more fun to ride than a utv, and it helps keep miles lower on utv as well.

Ranger 570 full size is hard to beat but I would take a look at 2020 can am defender hd5 before you commit.

I agree with Jordan. Take a look at the Can-Am Defender before you make your decision. I have a 2016 Defender HD8 and love it. Had planned on going with a Ranger at the time, and glad I didn’t. Very similar to the Ranger, just seems a lot more refined. Cost for a new one at the time was actually a bit cheaper than the Ranger, not sure if it is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love our John Deere gator. We have the 825i. We have worked it really hard and do everything with it and it just keeps on going. It isn’t as fast as some of the above but for what we use it for it perfectly meets our needs.

I am one that doesn't really understand the utv craze. What can I do with it that I cant do with a pickup? I do have a regular atv which is nice because it is small and can get to many places that my truck cant. Plus it can fit in the back of truck and don't need an extra trailer.

I am one that doesn't really understand the utv craze. What can I do with it that I cant do with a pickup? I do have a regular atv which is nice because it is small and can get to many places that my truck cant. Plus it can fit in the back of truck and don't need an extra trailer.
Then there's this!

1582674719852.png

When the ground is soft, the pickup can't go anywhere while the utv can go everywhere.

These with the box are the greatest work UTV in the world. I have owned 2 of them since they came out and I couldn't live without one. They are great for hunting and ice fishing too.

As far as tipping over easily, NOT A CHANCE!! Never even been close to tipping it over in 20 years of use. You would really have to try to tip one over.