Trying a couple of aeschynomene/Alyce clover plots.

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
Coming in nicely. Used 2 quarts of gly amd 6oz of imox preplant. Added a little cowpeas and imi tolerant sorghum/sunflowers too.

Used drill where I could. Many areas wet so I just broadcast.

IMG_1027.jpegIMG_1025.jpeg

Nice! Baker swears by it. Let us know how it works out.

How this combo coming along? What your thoughts on it?

My vetch is popping too. I’m a big fan. I can control weeds like clover and I believe it is more nutritious than clover. Been planting it for a couple years now.

How this combo coming along? What your thoughts on it?
Waist high. In the south there is no better summer mix I’m convinced. Can plant with imox or pursuit and gly at planting so no weeds. By the time it wears off vetch and Alyce clover so thick no weeds getting in. I planted with imi tolerant sorghum and sunflowers and some cowpeas. It is awesome.

Only issue is expense. IF it acts as a reseeding annual and I can drop rates or go years without having to plant it will be all I plant from here on out.

Obviously top pic is field in background. Foreground is a pure switch stand in year two on a hill. Can’t drill it so only broadcast. It’s done just ok.

The issues I’ve had with vetch are- slow to establish. I’m just now getting good height from a memorial weekend planting. Cost. It’s not cheap. Fall planting into it. It’s super wirey and tough and viney at maturity. I’ve tried to broadcast wheat and cereal rye into it in September and it was largely a bust. You almost have to disc it and start over. I’m sure a drill would be better but I’ve had it so thick that I’m not sure sunlight would even get through the vines.

Beyond pleased with my deer vetch/Alyce clover/imi tolerant sorghum plots. Might become my dominant summer planting. Zero weeds. And we didn’t get any rain for about two months with 100 degree temps. As soon as it got rain it bounced back strong. Now to see if it will reseed itself.
IMG_2067.jpeg

So that's what deer vetch is supposed to look like. A few years ago I planted some with oats/wheat in a satelite plot off the main plot. It had all the attributes I was looking for for this particular plot. Some seeds did germinate but before frost hit they barely made it past 3" tall. It was only the 2nd year of re-farming that plot which had been fallow for some 40 years. I 'd like to try again after we build up the organics in the soil. Supposedly near the top of the list for deer/ turkey preferred forage.

So that's what deer vetch is supposed to look like. A few years ago I planted some with oats/wheat in a satelite plot off the main plot. It had all the attributes I was looking for for this particular plot. Some seeds did germinate but before frost hit they barely made it past 3" tall. It was only the 2nd year of re-farming that plot which had been fallow for some 40 years. I 'd like to try again after we build up the organics in the soil. Supposedly near the top of the list for deer/ turkey preferred forage.
Where are you located?

N.E. Pa

I think you will struggle with it that far north. You def won’t get it to reseed, but you have to get it in the ground as soon as threat of frost is past.

A couple more pics of fields with same blend.

IMG_2070.jpegIMG_2071.jpeg

It also loves phos. So have to hit it with 0-20-20 the first year. Or at least I did

I think you will struggle with it that far north. You def won’t get it to reseed, but you have to get it in the ground as soon as threat of frost is past.
probably right, plus I am at 2000 ft elevation.

IMG_2103.jpeg