Tree Sources

PrairieShadow

5 year old buck +
I found this site while looking/researching different sources of trees. In the past I have used my local conservation district mainly but have also used Morse Nursery. To my surprise, It seems Morse has a pretty bad reputation around here.

I have had good success with survival rates on trees from Morse when it comes to apple but they are not bearing fruit yet so time will tell.

I'm looking into chestnut trees this year. Also open to other suggestions as far as food sources for deer.

Anyone have a chestnut variety that will drop in OCT/NOV and is zone 3/4 compatible?

Helps to add your USDA zone to your info. helps in teee selection for your area.

Anyone have a chestnut variety that will drop in OCT/NOV and is zone 3/4 compatible?
Doesn't exist. Chestnuts are borderline hardy in 4b. They won't survive a zone 3 winter.

Excellent to know. I’m technically zone 4 but very close to zone 3 so usually try and error in the side of caution.

The other thing is getting the chestnuts to fill out before frost/freeze. A variety that ripened and dropped late in the north likely gets shutout many years. They don’t ripen and hang. They ripen and drop. Or freeze and drop closed burrs with poorly filled nuts.

Alright. Great info. What would compliment my apple trees?

Alright. Great info. What would compliment my apple trees?
Crabapples and pears. Do some research on the pears though. Plenty varieties that won't survive a zone 3/4 winter.

Will dwarf chinkapin oak tolerate that climate?

See you have zone added in you tag line, thanks! In your zone, your apples may not be producing because spring flower buds may be freezing.

I would look at Cummins Nursery, Turkey Creek Trees, Blue Hills nursery, Whitetail Crabs nursey. They all produce northern hardy trees and many list the hardiness zone for each tree. These folks also have great crabapples suitable for deer.

Personally in your zone, I would stay away from pears or only make them a small %.

Will dwarf chinkapin oak tolerate that climate?
I really doubt it for northern growers near zone 3 my suggestions would be.

Northern Red Oak
White Oak
Bur Oak
Burgambel Oak
Probably a White oak x Bur oak cross

Apples Apples Apples are your best bet:

Fireside /Connell Red
Redfree
Freedom
Haralson
Wealthy
Wolf River
Honeycrisp
Nova Easygro
Frostbite
Cortland
Macintosh
Antonovka (this is a standard root stock and apple tree you can order them for about $4 each)

Maybe:
Liberty
Enterprise

A lot of the Crabapples would work well also

This is important for northern growers in particular to avoid graft failure do to the extreme cold winters try and only use standard rootstock and regardless of its use or not bury the graft so the trees at least partially own-root you will loose dwarfing characteristics of any root stock but the trees will survive the cold winter above the graft.

Please refer to page 12 of their planting guide for northern growers.

Last edited:
I'm in zone 4a and I'm pushing the limit too as far as what I can grow. As far as pears, we had two Ure pears at our old house a mile away and they grew awesome with a ton of pears.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I planted three pears trees many years ago zone 3-4 and two died one is still kicking but with no cross pollination it doesn’t produce so there are some verities that can live that far north but I’m unfamiliar with which ones can make it. I can’t remember what that one is even.

They list a couple pears and some apples I don’t even have.

Great info guys. I really appreciate. it.

Currently, I've got all crabapple varieties. Whitney crab , Nova Scotia Crab , Morse Crab, and Chestnut Crab. These are all young trees yet so I've not gotten frustrated with no fruit bearing......Yet. I've also got 6-8 oaks of unknown variety (probably burr oak or swamp oak). My dad picked up some acorns and got them to grow. They've been doing fairly well considering the quality of soil I have to deal with which is very Alkaline.

i have had success ordering from state nurseries for bare root plantings in mass quantities( >100,etc)

MDC,Kansas,Iowa,Maryland,Virginia,South Carolina

Also Arborgen and Superior Trees in Lee,Florida

Nativ Nursery(Mossy Oak) and Wildlife Group have good specialty product no offered from above sources

bill

I believe Bur oak and English oak can survive high PH soil.

Here is a cross between the two that may suit your needs also.

Spoke with the folks at Wallace Woodstock Nursery regarding more apple trees this morning. Seemed very nice and knowledgeable.

Anyone dealt with them and how was the experience?

I have bought trees a few times from Wallace but nothing in the last 5 yrs or so. Decent enough folks but cant comment on how they handle shipping as have picked them up from nursery. One thing to consider is they only label their rootstock as say semi-standard and standard instead of telling you M7 or B118 or Antonovka etc. I would stick with only "standard" rootstocks for the tougher zones to grow stuff. I have some of their trees on semi standard which is rumored to be likely M7 and think a more vigorous one would be better. Grows pretty slow in my zone 4b/4a. Have wolf river, enterprise, and honey gold from them. The couple honey gold have done ok. Others are really s-l-o-w compared to seedling crabapples planted about same time or even a yr later.