Tree Sources

I have bought trees a few times from Wallace but nothing in the last 5 yrs or so. Decent enough folks but cant comment on how they handle shipping as have picked them up from nursery. One thing to consider is they only label their rootstock as say semi-standard and standard instead of telling you M7 or B118 or Antonovka etc. I would stick with only "standard" rootstocks for the tougher zones to grow stuff. I have some of their trees on semi standard which is rumored to be likely M7 and think a more vigorous one would be better. Grows pretty slow in my zone 4b/4a. Have wolf river, enterprise, and honey gold from them. The couple honey gold have done ok. Others are really s-l-o-w compared to seedling crabapples planted about same time or even a yr later.
Can you recommend a nursery that lists its rootstock?

Go back to tree spuds post #9 in this thread. I have also done ok with St Lawrence Nursery (SLN in most threads). Some folks complain their trees are much smaller recently than other nurseries but that changes on growing conditions from yr to yr and demand. People raving about size of blue hills nursery trees a few yrs ago. Mine last yr were not anything like they described previously but still decent whips. I ordered some more from blue hill for next yr. I would order again from Cummins or SLN also.

Turkey Creek is a member here. You can always PM him your questions.

Good luck in your search.

Go back to tree spuds post #9 in this thread. I have also done ok with St Lawrence Nursery (SLN in most threads). Some folks complain their trees are much smaller recently than other nurseries but that changes on growing conditions from yr to yr and demand. People raving about size of blue hills nursery trees a few yrs ago. Mine last yr were not anything like they described previously but still decent whips. I ordered some more from blue hill for next yr. I would order again from Cummins or SLN also.

Turkey Creek is a member here. You can always PM him your questions.

Good luck in your search.
Awesome. Thank you!

I planted three pears trees many years ago zone 3-4 and two died one is still kicking but with no cross pollination it doesn’t produce so there are some verities that can live that far north but I’m unfamiliar with which ones can make it. I can’t remember what that one is even.

I turned my pear tree into a franken tree and I now get some pollination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoke with the folks at Wallace Woodstock Nursery regarding more apple trees this morning. Seemed very nice and knowledgeable.

Anyone dealt with them and how was the experience?

I bought 8 pears trees from them 5 years ago, my first venture in fruit tree planting. All but one have done well growth wise, waiting on some to produce fruit; however, I have not done proper pruning which will be done this winter. The stock was very healthy and large.

I like them and only stopped buying from them as they were ~ 2 hrs from me and did not ship trees. I started buying from nurseries that would ship.

Under new ownership and I have not had a chance to work with them yet.

Anyone have any experience planting the older 5-6 foot trees from Wallace Woodstock? Would sure be nice to have fruit bearing in 1-2 years.

Anyone have any experience planting the older 5-6 foot trees from Wallace Woodstock? Would sure be nice to have fruit bearing in 1-2 years.

I’m also curious about this. Seems like cheap investment to avoid waiting the better part of a decade if true.

I would look at Cummins Nursery, Turkey Creek Trees, Blue Hills nursery, Whitetail Crabs nursey. They all produce northern hardy trees and many list the hardiness zone for each tree. These folks also have great crabapples suitable for deer.

It doesn't seem there is much of anything available from these vendors for '22. It looks like SLA or Wallace might have some available, any thoughts on them as a source?

I'm thinking Kerr and Chestnut Crab for sure but would like to plant a couple apple trees to compliment the crabs.

I’ve never gotten them from that source but I have planted 5-6’ potted oak trees before and to be honest the ones I’ve planted around the same time as acorns are almost as tall if not taller. On one it was stalemated for so long I was about to drive a tile spade in the ground next to it to intentionally cut some of the roots to maybe shock it into growing. This was around 10 years after planting it then the next summer it finally decided to grow before I cut the roots. I’m sure it must of been root bound something terrible when I planted it.

My SLN trees have sucked it up so far... the ones that either came alive or stayed alive. They are my slowest growers. Maybe it's just the Antovkna roots and they'll someday be my best. I won't ever be needing to buy from that nursery again.

I ordered from SLN two years ago and half of the apple trees (Kerr, Keepsake, Liberty, and Honeycrisp) I received had an existing canker (not sure what, but it was fiddle-string style) on them. I needed to prune them way back to remove the canker. They have rebounded and canker has not returned, but I was not happy with having to deal with that.

If you go to the Cummins website, they will show you what varieties they have in stock, and on what rootstock. You may have to navigate the website a bit… search by list, then sort by rootstock, but the information is there. I am sure some other nurseries tell you the rootstocks too, but this is the one I am most familiar with. I am afraid their selection is pretty picked over at this point, but it's worth a look, and inventory fluctuates up and down regularly (usually down). Blue Hill is another good one. They only graft to Antonovka and Dolgo rootstocks, and both are good solid standard rootstocks.

The larger rootstocks Cummins typically offer;
P.18 (100%)
B.118 (90%)
MM.111 (85%)
G.890 (75%)

https://bluehillwildlifenursery.com/

Last edited:
I order almost all my fruit trees from Wallace. I've been very happy with them. Their trees are huge. I have had apples the following year on a couple of them, don't remember what kind., but it is only alway just a couple. I pick them up from one of their distribution sites that's only 20 minutes from my house and then drive them to my land 5 hrs north.

I found this site while looking/researching different sources of trees. In the past I have used my local conservation district mainly but have also used Morse Nursery. To my surprise, It seems Morse has a pretty bad reputation around here.

I have had good success with survival rates on trees from Morse when it comes to apple but they are not bearing fruit yet so time will tell.

I'm looking into chestnut trees this year. Also open to other suggestions as far as food sources for deer.

Anyone have a chestnut variety that will drop in OCT/NOV and is zone 3/4 compatible?
My friend owns a restaurant by my land in Rusk county WI.zone 3d/4a. He has a large chestnut tree growing right next to the restaurant. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It was full of chestnuts. I believe it was there was only one. Self pollination? I would think it had to be a Chinese. My friend told me that years ago there was a lady that planted them up there and gave it to them.

It doesn't seem there is much of anything available from these vendors for '22. It looks like SLA or Wallace might have some available, any thoughts on them as a source?

I'm thinking Kerr and Chestnut Crab for sure but would like to plant a couple apple trees to compliment the crabs.

SLN 2022 online sales just went live this wee. I think they have Chesnut, not sure about kerr.

Anyone familiar with Midwest Deer Trees as a source? I drive past there every day I go in to the office. Seems like they aren’t open to orders for a few weeks.

I sus
My friend owns a restaurant by my land in Rusk county WI.zone 3d/4a. He has a large chestnut tree growing right next to the restaurant. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It was full of chestnuts. I believe it was there was only one. Self pollination? I would think it had to be a Chinese. My friend told me that years ago there was a lady that planted them up there and gave it to them.
I suspect this is a Horse Chestnut tree not a chestnut tree. There is a Horse Chestnut tree growing in the town of Grandview Wi in Bayfield Co. quite a bit north of you just off of Hwy 63. We used to pick them off the ground as grade school children in the 70’s the tree was across the street from the school all 7 kids in my 2nd grade class probably had dozens of those little treasures in our desks.

Anyone familiar with Midwest Deer Trees as a source? I drive past there every day I go in to the office. Seems like they aren’t open to orders for a few weeks.

He is a great guy and I planted a few of his trees this fall. He came over and took a quick tour of my place and we also looked at some wild crab apple trees.

He might have a new variety from one of my neighbors by fall.

The trees I got from him were on dolgo rootstock. I feel that is the best rootstock for my area, unless you can top work the wild trees.

He wants me to try some of his pears. I have only fair luck with pears.

I am a bit closer to 3b climate than his location, even though we are less than 50 miles apart. I feel many pears fizzle out somewhere at the zone 3-4 boundary.

I do have a pear franken tree that gets a few pears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered from SLN two years ago and half of the apple trees (Kerr, Keepsake, Liberty, and Honeycrisp) I received had an existing canker (not sure what, but it was fiddle-string style) on them. I needed to prune them way back to remove the canker. They have rebounded and canker has not returned, but I was not happy with having to deal with that.
Good to know.

I’ll make sure to watch for that and report on what shape my trees are in when I receive them this spring.