Go to whitetail tree???

If you are looking for something different you might want to consider Jujube. Here is a related thread: https://habitat-talk.com/threads/jujube-varieties-for-deer-transfered-from-qdma-forum.5538/ They have been a low maintenance tree that produce reliably and drop at the right time. I can't speak to how they would fair in your area. I'm in zone 7A. You need to be patient as they ae slow to produce. The linked thread has a lot more details.
I have 4 jujube in my yard here in Az, they grow like weeds here! I get a late August September drop. It gets in the teens here in the high desert 5200'. I may try and grow a few in pots and see if they will rake back there. I've got fruit on one year old trees.

I have 4 jujube in my yard here in Az, they grow like weeds here! I get a late August September drop. It gets in the teens here in the high desert 5200'. I may try and grow a few in pots and see if they will rake back there. I've got fruit on one year old trees.
I think Az is a prime area for Jujube. Different varieties drop at different times. That is one reason I selected Tigertooth. (more reasons in the other thread).

I think my trip this summer is gonna be az straight to Ohio so I'm planning on trying the transplant, doubt it will work but worth a shot.

I think my trip this summer is gonna be az straight to Ohio so I'm planning on trying the transplant, doubt it will work but worth a shot.

Summer transplants are problematic, but best of luck.

If anything, cut 9pen the bottom of the pot, place it in the ground, then cut open the pot. Water well and mulch. Summer is a bad time. Better off during hunting season, midday. I've planted a few white pines and harvested a buck the same afternoon. Think it was 2020.

I asked a similar question some time ago but It's been a couple years. There's too much good info on here so looking for a narrowed down answer. I'm in SE Ohio 6 but live in Arizona so I have limited time to maintenence my trees. I have help that waters in summer and ferts as well.

I currently have crabs, apple, and pear established, the oldest of the 30 or so trees is going on year 5. I also have 20 yearling grafts of various pear and crab waiting for their final home. I do have a couple old pear that do produce as well.

Looking for the go to trees lower maintenance trees for production as well as deer draw. My hunts are usually Nov 1 thru 10ish but I retire in 7 years and will be back home. Looking to get the best draw trees in that I can, currently my drops range from early October thru January on the various trees.

I've ordered from chesnutt hill, bluehill, nwc, local nursery. Any suggestions on the go to trees? I have a little bit of room, maybe enough for 10 to 20 more currently.

For low maintenance, nothing comes close to persimmon.

I probably would have said that a while back, but I think my TIgertooh Jujube might be a tie.

This is true for me I have to control them or they get out of hand in areas I don’t want them.

This is true for me I have to control them or they get out of hand in areas I don’t want them.

After our storm this spring took down a bunch of my white pines, I had a surprise. There was a persimmon tree coming out of the ground at the base of a white pine, and I had never seen the tree before due to the pine blocking my vision. Believe it or not, the tree was loaded with fruit. At another spot I found a persimmon tree that several other trees had canopied over so badly that the persimmon was almost growing toward the ground. This one also had grown around a strand of barbed wire which was right through the middle of the tree trunk, and it likewise was loaded with fruit.

I will also tell a story about my neighbor who had been cutting hay on his place for over 60 years. Despite the fact that the hay was cut two times a year (spring and fall) persimmon trees would still sprout from the roots in the ground. When spring would come there would always be persimmon trees in his field that were at least 4 feet tall - even after being mowed down the previous fall. A few years ago, he started cropping his fields rather than cutting hay. Finally after getting a does of Gly every spring for a while, the persimmons finally died.

Last edited:
After our storm this spring took down a bunch of my white pines, I had a surprise. There was a persimmon tree coming out of the ground at the base of a white pine, and I had never seen the tree before due to the pine blocking my vision. Believe it or not, the tree was loaded with fruit. At another spot I found a persimmon tree that several other trees had canopied over so badly that the persimmon was almost growing toward the ground. This one also had a strand of barbed wire that had grown right through the middle of the tree trunk, and it likewise was loaded with fruit.

I will also tell a story about my neighbor who had been cutting hay on his place for over 60 years. Despite the fact that the hay was cut two times a year (spring and fall) persimmon trees would still sprout from the roots in the ground. When spring would come there would always be persimmon trees in his field that were at least 4 feet tall - even after being mowed down the previous fall. A few years ago, he started cropping his fields rather than cutting hay. Finally after getting a does of Gly every spring for a while, the persimmons finally died.
cattle guys in east texas call them pasture weeds

those are great stories,steve

bill

cattle guys in east texas call them pasture weeds

those are great stories,steve

bill

Thanks for telling me that Bill. I had no idea it was the same way in Texas.