Other Fruits

I'm in western Norway. Our climate is similar to Sitka, Alaska. Our winters are mild, but so are our summers.

I don't remember the varieties I planted, but they were chosen by the gardener I worked with for the local climate. I would go with whatever the supplier recommends for your area.

I haven't propagated mine yet, but I will start this spring with hardwood cuttings.
You will try to root your hardwood cuttings I assume? If so are haskaps easy to root?

You will try to root your hardwood cuttings I assume? If so are haskaps easy to root?

That's what I will try. I've heard the root easy, but no experience so far. I'll let you know how it goes in April or thereabouts.

I planted some honeyberry/haskap a few years ago, and they are absolute rockstar. They produce piles of berries in early to mid summer, and the berries hang under the leaves, so the birds don't get to them as quick.
How big were your haskap plants when you planted them?? How fast do they grow??

How big were your haskap plants when you planted them?? How fast do they grow??

About 15" in diameter. They put on about 8" of growth per year. But I am at 60°23′ N latitude, so your results may vary.

I have some fruit trees in the timber a few really old narly ones in a row from an old homestead and many others of the same variety growing wild. For years I believed they were Pears. I now believe that they are Quince. They hang on the tree until Thanksgiving most years and the deer clean them up.

Was it a "clump" kind of plant?? 15" diameter would be a HUGE tree / shrub!!

I'm not sure what you mean.

In post #65, you said your haskaps were about 15" in diameter. 15 inches (if a single-stemmed plant) would be HUGE at planting. Or were your haskaps more of a multi-stemmed plant that had several stems / trunks that added up to about 15 inches diameter??

What do haskaps taste like??

In post #65, you said your haskaps were about 15" in diameter. 15 inches (if a single-stemmed plant) would be HUGE at planting. Or were your haskaps more of a multi-stemmed plant that had several stems / trunks that added up to about 15 inches diameter??

What do haskaps taste like??

Oh I see. It's a bush, so the spread of the entire plant was about 15". Also about 15" tall. They taste similar to blueberries, but slightly less nuanced. Maybe somewhere between blueberry and huckleberry.

Your haskaps produced fruit at only 15" tall?? Wow - that's quick!!