Other Fruits

Jack,
I do recall reading a thread or 2 where you mention them. I will read up on them again. I think they weren’t able to survive zone 5 if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure what the zones are for different Jujube varieties anymore. It has been years since I planted them. I got the idea from an old QW magazine article by David Osborn. I had several chats with him and he was a big help. Some folks talk about them needing a hot dry climate to fruit, but that is not the case here and they fruit fine. I can't speak to colder climates.

Thanks,

Jack

For the guys growing cold hardy cherry trees, what’s some good varieties to grow? Any that you can pick and eat or are they more for baking/jam?

this is a page I book marked that I think someone here posted before. I do not have any experience with the varieties.

I love my blueberry and the deer don’t browse them.
If I could have only one for home it would be blueberries. They thrive in our acid soil and nothing, other than some Japanese Beatles, seem to bother them.
We get 24-30 quarts from 7 bushes every year. I planted 20 more last year. I'm not sure what we'll do with all the berries though!

If I could have only one for home it would be blueberries. They thrive in our acid soil and nothing, other than some Japanese Beatles, seem to bother them.
We get 24-30 quarts from 7 bushes every year. I planted 20 more last year. I'm not sure what we'll do with all the berries though!
What varieties do you have/prefer?

I have never fertilized them. They like my acidic soils.

Here in Norway there are wild blueberries pretty much everywhere. They thrive in the acidic soil, but they are almost impossible to transplant. Everything else needs lots of lime and fertilizer.

At my place in Canada, we have shallow soil on a bedrock of dolomitic limestone (Niagara escarpment), so the cultivated blueberries we planted need special fertilizer.

Blue Crop, Toro, Duke, Northland are the ones I recall off the top of my head. We have two others, but I can't remember the names. They are creating new varieties all the time, so it's worth reading up on.

I have about 10 different varieties at home now. My favorite is probably Chandler.
The absolute best blue berries I've ever had in my life were the wild ones in newfoundland while my son and I were moose hunting this past September.

Attachments

• 20210913_153618.jpg
    20210913_153618.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20210913_153508.jpg
    20210913_153508.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 21
I have about 10 different varieties at home now. My favorite is probably Chandler.
The absolute best blue berries I've ever had in my life were the wild ones in newfoundland while my son and I were moose hunting this past September.
I have some wild bushes that are the best I have had too. The problem is the birds also love them. I usually only get a few every year. For some reason they don’t bother the ones I planted very much.

I have to net them otherwise the cedar waxwings, robins and orioles will take them all.

What kind of raspberry should I buy for North IL? Assume an everbearing? Anyone have a favorite variety? I planted some cuttings last year but the lady who gifted them to me had them in a couple inches of standing water in the bucket, which I didn't realize til a few days after they apparently drowned. None of them grew. Shopping for more asparagus crowns now and hoping to lump raspberries into the shipping. Thanks!

What kind of raspberry should I buy for North IL? Assume an everbearing? Anyone have a favorite variety? I planted some cuttings last year but the lady who gifted them to me had them in a couple inches of standing water in the bucket, which I didn't realize til a few days after they apparently drowned. None of them grew. Shopping for more asparagus crowns now and hoping to lump raspberries into the shipping. Thanks!
Idk on the raspberry’s but I have a pretty good patch of asparagus my wife and I get a couple meals a week out of for a while highly recommend growing it.

Idk on the raspberry’s but I have a pretty good patch of asparagus my wife and I get a couple meals a week out of for a while highly recommend growing it.
I thought it only grows good during cool seasons?

I love my asparagus patch. Unfortunately I planted it in a spot I eventually wanted flowers, so I've been trying to kill it out and start a new patch in a different spot. It's a tough one!

At my house I have blackberries, raspberries (although I just had to wipe a good bit out that had gotten overtaken by poison ivy and sumac), blueberries, strawberries, asparagus, a honey crisp and a yellow delicious that I have yet to get an apple off of in about 13 years.

At the hunting land I have multiple pears, american plums, sandhill plums, apples, crab apples, persimmon, and allegheny chinkapin. There is also one chestnut that's growing wild and some wild blueberries that I just found and fenced a bunch in.

I have what I believe to be heritage raspberries. My dad gave me some starts 15 years ago from some that he got from an old friend who got them from his parents or grandparents. The original plants were probably planted over 50 years ago. I’ve actually used my starters to start 3 new patches, every time We’ve moved we take some with us. They are everbearing bushes, fruiting in early July and again in Sept.. Once I have them well established I mow them to the ground every spring so that they only fruit once starting late August. I get bigger yields this way if the weather is good

I keep cutting my asparagus until about the end of June then let it grow out.

I understand asparagus is a good pheasant crop. I read this long ago and am now sure about it. Any of you guys know?

I'm a huge fan of raspberries and strawberries. They are easy to grow and propagate. I found some ever earing strawberries that produce from June to about October, when they get frosted out.

I planted some honeyberry/haskap a few years ago, and they are absolute rockstar. They produce piles of berries in early to mid summer, and the berries hang under the leaves, so the birds don't get to them as quick.

I'm a huge fan of raspberries and strawberries. They are easy to grow and propagate. I found some ever earing strawberries that produce from June to about October, when they get frosted out.

I planted some honeyberry/haskap a few years ago, and they are absolute rockstar. They produce piles of berries in early to mid summer, and the berries hang under the leaves, so the birds don't get to them as quick.
What varieties of haskap's are you growing? Also, what zone are you in? I planted 6 last year that I bought from Haskap Central. I think there were 2 of each Honeybee, Aurora, and Borealis that I planted. I am hoping they do well. Have you tried to split/propagate them in any way?

I'm in western Norway. Our climate is similar to Sitka, Alaska. Our winters are mild, but so are our summers.

I don't remember the varieties I planted, but they were chosen by the gardener I worked with for the local climate. I would go with whatever the supplier recommends for your area.

I haven't propagated mine yet, but I will start this spring with hardwood cuttings.