Norway Spruce Screen Decisions

Alright guys I need some help. Im stuck between these two shovels below. Going to use it to plant 2-2 spruce transplants. Which one would you get? Open to another type of spade if there is something out there that works better. AM Leonard has very similar shovels so may go that route depending on how much shipping is from pac forest. Screenshot_20230301_193805_Chrome.jpg

Never used either, but I’d pick #1!

I have used one of these for the last 5 years or so and would replace it in a second if something every happened to it. Bought one for my Dad for father's day and he loves it also. Makes quick work of planting trees,

I have used one of these for the last 5 years or so and would replace it in a second if something every happened to it. Bought one for my Dad for father's day and he loves it also. Makes quick work of planting trees,
That one is nice also. I think I need one of each! Lol

I got the @BuckSutherland special he mentions earlier in this thread and it worked pretty good for me. Like others mentioned, it's too heavy to be carrying around all day, but it's a workhorse when needed.

I got the @BuckSutherland special he mentions earlier in this thread and it worked pretty good for me. Like others mentioned, it's too heavy to be carrying around all day, but it's a workhorse when needed.
Thanks, I will have to go back and search for it. Wolverine has a few different models I see. Trying to figure out which one will work the best. Plan on using it kind of like a dibble bar.

I have one similar to the D handle spade. It is too short for me to dig a hole while standing comfortably. If I could go back I would of got a long handle spade, but maybe that depends on your height. I am about 6' tall.

I have the Wolverine D and its been outstanding in the 12 months I've owned it.

I have the Wolverine D and its been outstanding in the 12 months I've owned it.
Awesome. I ended up ordering that one.

Started my Norway spruce food plot screen today. 22 3-4’ from Cold Stream Farm. 10’ spacing. Probably add another 15-20 next year.

bbef031f054b4031babbc34fbce32540.jpg

863e665e4766a494e89d2a4d6d751879.jpg

4c53bbe58e1724f576cabefc61b227e4.jpg

0d9cb97e558bc85555b3fc7005796366.jpg

From experience, norways placed next to a food plot or near a travel corridor need protection for a few years.

From experience, norways placed next to a food plot or near a travel corridor need protection for a few years.
Yup I’ve got caging just need to put it out there still. It’s in the works!

Honestly, I'm starting to hate snow and hope it melts fast for you. We had 4+ days of 70's in the north Central part of WI and I still had snow in my food plots past my knees when I left yesterday. We have that same storm system to dump again as well. Oh yea, Think my spruce are arriving in a week or so. Guess I'll build some more cages in the meantime.

Last edited:
I started planting this year’s spruce today. Mostly going BHS as most of my Norways from last year look lousy. It’s too wet in portions to plant still but getting in what I can.

6F385140-D257-4094-8307-68B00D5CCC57.jpeg

An example of what most of last years Norways look like.
F3B6F71F-DFB3-4146-BB8E-243268065E41.jpeg4D98936D-E7A7-452C-935F-4B30B8D9E625.jpeg4B178F1F-CDD1-4BC5-BC89-1683BC9CAD16.jpeg

I planted 22 3-4’ norways from cold stream farm a couple weeks ago. Most look like shit. A couple have lost all needles. Some look ok. Pretty disappointed in that. Going back to plugs next year and white spruce and BHS. 2nd time trying Norway and just have had no luck with them.

I planted 22 3-4’ norways from cold stream farm a couple weeks ago. Most look like shit. A couple have lost all needles. Some look ok. Pretty disappointed in that. Going back to plugs next year and white spruce and BHS. 2nd time trying Norway and just have had no luck with them.

I got a small # of 1 gal Norways from one county SWCD to fill in where my neighbor mowed 7 I planted last year when cutting hay. They look like crap, pale colored needles and lots of spots on branches void of needles. I also got a bundle of 25 bare root Norways from my home county SWCD to stick in the woods where I’m doing TSI quick and they look way better. Dark needles and branches are a covered in needles. Maybe the 1 gal SWCD Norways I’ve been getting just suck?

They do seem more sensitive for sure.

I got a small # of 1 gal Norways from one county SWCD to fill in where my neighbor mowed 7 I planted last year when cutting hay. They look like crap, pale colored needles and lots of spots on branches void of needles. I also got a bundle of 25 bare root Norways from my home county SWCD to stick in the woods where I’m doing TSI quick and they look way better. Dark needles and branches are a covered in needles. Maybe the 1 gal SWCD Norways I’ve been getting just suck?

They do seem more sensitive for sure.
Yea not sure what’s going on. Other than we keep going from winter to summer to spring to winter. But I’ve never had this bad of luck with trees other than norways in the past. I’d love to use white pine but the deer would eat the bottom branches and I’d have no screen. So next up is white spruce and BHS.