Tracks for ATV

I bought a '23 Polaris North Star Ultimate Crew this fall. Really been enjoying breaking it in.....and getting some modifications done on it. Used it to plow on several occasions and have done some driving on the county roads and a few trails before the snows came. I live on a lake and if we spent the winters here....I would have those Camso tracks in a heartbeat. Normally we go to AZ in the winter.....but this year we got some health issues to attend to.....so were here. While I wont go many places due to deep snow....there are lots of interesting county roads and plowed roads on the ice to explore. I'm still in the 'break in" phase so I go pretty easy with it. Looking forward to regular trail rides next summer. Fun. Really liking the great cab.....and HVAC!

I bought a '23 Polaris North Star Ultimate Crew this fall. Really been enjoying breaking it in.....and getting some modifications done on it. Used it to plow on several occasions and have done some driving on the county roads and a few trails before the snows came. I live on a lake and if we spent the winters here....I would have those Camso tracks in a heartbeat. Normally we go to AZ in the winter.....but this year we got some health issues to attend to.....so were here. While I wont go many places due to deep snow....there are lots of interesting county roads and plowed roads on the ice to explore. I'm still in the 'break in" phase so I go pretty easy with it. Looking forward to regular trail rides next summer. Fun.

That’s a hell of a toy @Foggy47.

Over the last few days of getting stuck we went from 80% to 100%….placed an order for the Camso 4S1 tracks yesterday. 😂😂👍

Foggy, what really put us over the top was visiting a friend with your exact machine (‘22) with tracks. We went out on his land in well over 2’ of untracked powder on his woods trails. With Drifts well over 3’ deep.

That machine barely had to work to go through it. Like a hot knife through butter! You can stop, re-start, turn around and back up like you’re on dry ground.

Obviously, a much bigger turning radius than wheels…which is fine.

You have to be careful hopping over logs because your rear tracks have a low AoA and you can get hung up on a big log between the tracks.

I ordered ours with a few of spare parts that the dealer recommended we have on hand for times when we are remote.

The tracks will drop ship from Camso in about a month….which will let us get past the 25 hour dealer service on our new machine. I’ll have them on for the late snow and mud seasons and will try to update here with info.

Wind Gypsie…..keep us in the loop too!! And thank you for the little nudge😂😂

Wind Gypsie…..keep us in the loop too!! And thank you for the little nudge😂😂
Mine show up Jan 4th. Hoping i find some time to get them installed and use them before baby #2 shows up end of January. Going to have 2 under 2 in the house so time will be limited!

Yikes Wg!! But big congratulations! I’ve found they become truly useful for habitat work at about 6 or 7 years old. 😉

550 liquid. Reverse. Electric start. 2 different pull behind sleds. $800. It’s the second snowmobile I’ve had with reverse and electric start. I absolutely would not be on the farm without this. I love the atv for dry ground but one the snow is over a foot forget it! To me, tracks are just an expensive way to get really stuck.
EC8156EB-26FB-41BB-8849-5A0943F825B7.jpeg

550 liquid. Reverse. Electric start. 2 different pull behind sleds. $800. It’s the second snowmobile I’ve had with reverse and electric start. I absolutely would not be on the farm without this. I love the atv for dry ground but one the snow is over a foot forget it! To me, tracks are just an expensive way to get really stuck.
View attachment 48500
$800 in what year? My parents sold a 2014 600 skidoo trail sled with 3800 miles for $7900 yesterday!

I think the advantage for a sled is definitely bigger in more open country than where I’ll use a tracked ATV. There are very few spots I could get stuck where there isn’t also a mature tree nearby to connect the winch to.

I got this one in 2019. Yeah Im sure its changed now and they are tougher to find for cheap. Youve seen my place, I like to get across a mile of open field fairly quickly for shed hunting or trapping etc. Id be lost with out my sled! The people I know who have tracks do like them.... until they get stuck :)

I have a 2014 Renegade X with 138” track, tow bar, and sled. Yes, I can get around on it most of the time. But if I can get around just as well towing the sled, plus a dump box and heated cab? Sign me up.

My wife? Not a chance. Just too difficult for her to muscle any sled through powder…even in a wide open field. When she’s stuck, so am I 😉.

I also agree that “stuck” might have a whole new meaning with an 1800# buggy on tracks. But we plan to take it easy and pretty much stay on our own land. I’ll leave the mountain adventure rides to others.

As far as the $….for our common machine I bet I could sell them after 2 years for 75% . If they work like I hope, they’ll be on it every winter and spring for the 15 years.

I got this one in 2019. Yeah Im sure its changed now and they are tougher to find for cheap. Youve seen my place, I like to get across a mile of open field fairly quickly for shed hunting or trapping etc. Id be lost with out my sled! The people I know who have tracks do like them.... until they get stuck :)
I'd want a sled for your place too! Used sled market is bonkers right now.

Last edited:
Market is gonna change quick... Covid-stoopid money is long in the dust...... NY skidoo dealers al have inventory, see a few sleds still for sale, some folks cancelling their snowchecks or trying to sell new never used. OF course, a week or two of trail riding and the snow is now gone from a few 50 deg days here.

I paid $9500 for a 2022 skidoo grand touring sport 600ace in feb 2022 brand new. Sold it this august for $7500 with 3300 miles and maybe close to $800 in better skis, big storage box, and led light bulbs. Coulda sold it for more, but thought it was fair. 600 ace 59hp motors get a bad rap..... not by me.

Me n the wife could loose a few pounds.... And the western adirondack snowmbile trails get hit hard, mogul messes, besides short seasons. We rented a cabin in old forge for 2020/21 and 2021/2022 6 month lease from now to april. MAy do it again......

This thread is nagging me to buy nother new sled... expedition 600 sport ace. Got a 2010 polaris 600 2up 9k miles, but runs ok. Bought a enclosed trailer in febuary for snowmobiles and insulated, heated, and windowed it for sleeping in while 2 hours away on "free" 450 acre brother in law hunting lease.

Expedition comes in a few flavors. 16" wide, 20" wide, and 24" wide. The non-sport models have low gear too. Tundra with the telescoptic shocks are better in deep snow. However, I live in NY, so our snow isn't insane, or alteast like it used to be. 3 hours more west in Buffalo might say differently this year..........

A club member bought a 2017 honda pioneer 1000 4 door with cab. Im glad he bought a skid plate and mean tires too. That thing gets alot more stuck than an ATV. Very capable though. Had a nightmare excatation in a mudhole. 3 atv's tugging it out. Cut a few branches on the side of the mudhole and lean way over on my 2wd atv and scoot right by that mess.

Another time he had a branch stuck in his from control arm. Forgot why, he had his winch cable out, cut the cable when he was cutting the branch out. A little longer down the 1.8 loop trail, he got stuck with no winch cable. fun times.........

The next club group weekend out there, he hit a branch on the trail and knocked his air cleaner tube off the hose connector. Went in a mud hole and broke a connecting rod sucking in air. Get out of the machine and notice my $900 ms261 stihl chainsaw is underwater. Putted that wrecked motor back to camp and then wd40'd the inside of the saw with the plug out. Saw still works good. He somehow tricked his insurance company to float the $8000 engine rebuild bill......

That guy drives his machine drunk. He was flying down the trail called the kiddie loop, an easy trail right near camp. Hit a rock and tore off the upper control arm mounting flanges off the frame. The frame rails are already rotted around the base of the front doors from all the scraping. Every rock he hits on the tails has a nice aluminum coating from the skid plate. IT's a nice handy marker for your flashlight walking back to camp. I work with him and got grumpy I mentoned the idea of trading in his poor honda. I bought a 420 rancher the same year, mine looks alot better although I leave it outside more than i should.

No experience. I’m in Georgia.

What about stress on your transmission? No idea if that’s something to consider.

No experience. I’m in Georgia.

What about stress on your transmission? No idea if that’s something to consider.
I'm sure it's harder on lots of stuff and puts a heavier load on things.

I'll probably only put 20-30 miles on mine a winter/spring with the tracks on just putting around so I'm not too worried about it. If I had a polaris or can am maybe I'd worry haha!

I just remembered a time snow goose hunting about 15 years ago.. Kid with daddy's polaris 850 with tracks and 6x12 enclosed decoy trailer hunted with us. He was towing the decoy trailer in/out of the cornfield with the ATV and the frost was just coming out for the spring. The tires on the trailer got locked up with mud packed between them and the fenders and that kid dragged the trailer out of the field with the tires locked and sunk deep enough that he was dragging the trailer out with the axle and the frame dragging in the mud. Impressive the work that thing could do. Man were we dumb.

Keep in mind, when you work a motor that shares the same fluid as a wet clutch transmission, the frictional material circulates in the oil. When you work an ATV hard near the clutch engagement speeds, you put that material in oil. Make sure you change the oil sooner.

I’m going in assuming that the tracks are “harder” on the machine than wheels. But I also don’t plan on running it near clutch engagement or slack off on maintenance. At least not often 😉.

99% of our use will be in low gear, but high revs., on our own trails. I have no use for groomed trail or road riding. The nearest mountain is 1200 miles away.

If we put on 50 miles in a winter, I’ll be surprised.

Point taken though! The gear reduction from wheels to the main drive sprocket is 35% and there is no suspension in the track. It’s gotta be rough on it.

But the damn thing cost about as much as a mid level German sedan, I’m taking care of it!!

Pulled my neighbors fish house off our lake today. the snow is pretty deep and more is on the way. He does not have a great way to move his house. We got stuck in a few drifts going across the lake....and he shoveled a bit and I tramped down some trails to get us to better roads on the lake. Was somewhat concerned about burning up a belt.....and my machine is just at the break-in hours now. These machines are pretty heavy and dont ride on top of the crust very well. Seem to dig down as more power is needed....thus amplifying the issue. I can understand why folks that run the ice allot want tracks. My primary uses are a little plowing and trail running in warmer weather.......so tracks are not in my future. ( Normally I go to AZ for the winters). Always like an adventure......and this 1/2 mile pull was just that. Fun.

tempImageghVEsC.jpg