Tracks for ATV

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
Last winter i was barely able to get around my properties with my ATV, largely due to having compacted tracks around prior to snow being max depth. This year the snow is too deep to get around already so I've got a wild hair to get tracks for my yamaha kodiak 700 EPS. I have a fair idea of how they work as my stepdad has camso tracks on a honda pioneer 700 but curious if there's any wisdom out there on things a guy should consider before pulling the trigger on them.

I don't have room for a snowmobile at the house and I think i'd prefer the utility of the ATV for what I do over a sled anyway. Kind of crazy what $4500 doesn't get you in snowmobiles now days! I did peek around and that skidoo expedition seems pretty sweet for a winter utility vehicle though!

Give chains a try. Does your atv have low range? Whole different set of torque needs with tracks. You're doing well with a 700 already though. Skid guards can help or hurt an atv in the snow. Smooth underneath. I prefer stock tires because they slide. Too much bite can make an atv tip easier. Aggressive tires make a huge difference though. Airing down a bit more can help too. They do make snow specific atv tires.

End of season you can get a snowmobile cheap.

In ny snowmobiles are much better. So much more freedom with the trails. Not many pla e you can ride an atv publically in NY, but by has like 8 or 10,000 miles of trails you can ride, vs like 4 or 500 miles of atv trails in a handful of counties.

I've got a fair idea what better tires and chains can do but ultimately once the front and belly of the ATV is plowing snow it's not going anywhere especially once there are layers of crusty snow. It's a small consideration but I do use it a fair bit in my yard and across foodplots as well and having all 4 tires spinning really tears things up. I tore up the yard yesterday just getting to stacks of firewood that i failed to relocate prior to snow..

We have 6 snowmobiles at the family cabin (3+ hours away) so I'm familiar with the benefits. This wouldn't be for cruising recreation, its for "work" recreation. Winter is my time to kill buckthorn, crown release oaks/TSI/hinge cut, and improve stand sites. The snowmobiles i'm familiar with are no fun at slow speeds in deep snow with lots of trees.

I had a 2020 grand touring 600 ace. The clutches on 4 stroke motors fo excellent at slow speeds. Tundra with the telescoping shocks is even better. Be a better turning radius. Think I'd still take an expedition though. 600 ace would be ok. Low range would be nice, but you'll do ok without it.

Sold it because sledding is a short season in NY. Rented 2 seasons at a winter campground too. Still have a 2010 Polaris 2up, has 9k miles though.

Will run that till it dies, then get a basic 600 ace renegade or an expedition sport.

Put an wanted to buy used tra vs on Facebook. The line crew at the utility I work for gets camso tracks mostly on polaris rangers.

You got power steering?

I have ran them, I wouldnt buy them for trails, or riding for fun. It takes a lot of power to turn them tracks, speed isnt something that is good on them either.

But since you want them for working, I think they they will work perfect for you. Get yourelf a front skid plate, make sure you have a winch, because if you do get it stuck with tracks, you wont be shoveling it out.

To sum it up,
for play-snowmobile
for work-tracks
for fun and work-a snowmobile & tracks on the atv.

I have heard from the one person I know with an ATV track kit that they aren't great for going over top of obstacles like trees across the trails and you get totally covered in snow, but overall work pretty good. I'd imagine you wouldn't have many issues with them if you are able to keep some nice packed down trails.

I do all my winter habitat work with a '91 Ski Doo Tundra II that lives outside under a tarp all year and tow a pelican sleigh behind it for my tools. I've thought about tracks for my Can Am Outlander 850 but for how often I manage to get stuck, I'd prefer to do it with a machine I can pick each end up fairly easy versus an 800lb+ ATV. For the current prices of new tracks here I could probably buy 3 old Tunrda's but no idea what your market is like.

I have heard from the one person I know with an ATV track kit that they aren't great for going over top of obstacles like trees across the trails and you get totally covered in snow, but overall work pretty good. I'd imagine you wouldn't have many issues with them if you are able to keep some nice packed down trails.

I do all my winter habitat work with a '91 Ski Doo Tundra II that lives outside under a tarp all year and tow a pelican sleigh behind it for my tools. I've thought about tracks for my Can Am Outlander 850 but for how often I manage to get stuck, I'd prefer to do it with a machine I can pick each end up fairly easy versus an 800lb+ ATV. For the current prices of new tracks here I could probably buy 3 old Tunrda's but no idea what your market is like.

Good input. In quick searches i don't see any used sleds of the tundra or similar style around here, maybe i should just be patient and keep my eye out. I do feel like i'd just get stuck less with a tracked ATV vs a sled.

The tracks throw snow all around and on you for sure need to wear good clothes or brush off before it melts on you.

I've been thinking about getting them too Wind Gypsy. We have a Polaris 600 2 up we use on the land for an occasional ride. But mostly we it for grooming XC ski trails and hauling sap in the spring. My Arctic Cat 700 ATV just gets buried when the snow gets too deep...but so does my sled. Been thinking about getting a tracked ATV for work on the land. In the spring when the the snow pack is gone and I need to haul sap, I often tear up my trails with the ATV. I think tracks might be a bit easier on the trails.

Great video Wind Gypsy. Thanks for sharing. That's exactly the kind of thing I am talking about. Also the kind of snow I usually deal with. My ATV does not have power steering. I would certainly need to find a new rig.

I remember seeing aftermarket power steering kits mentioned when researching ATVs prior to buying so that might be an option too.

Got some camso tracks on the way. Should take delivery in the next 10 days or so.

Outstanding. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

I have my wife about 80% convinced that we need a set of Camso tracks for our new Polaris Northstar. We have a place in the L Superior snowbelt with over 3’ of snow on the ground this morning. Drifts over 5’ deep. Lots to come.

I’ve rode a snowmobile my entire life with plenty of powder riding experience ……but trying to get around my property in winter is rough duty on a sled- at best. Breaking trail in deep powder isn’t done at a pace conducive to habitat work (throttle in “stole it” position)😂😂😂😂. Getting moving again after stopping to work CANNOT be done with any ‘ordinary’ sled…..think 24” wide track thats at least 150” long.

Online, I’ve watched my EXACT Polaris machine with camso tracks literally climb MOUNTAINS in 7’ of powder! Unbelievable !!!! It makes my place look like winter in Kentucky. I’m 100% sold it’s the perfect solution for my land.

I must have them.

I have my wife about 80% convinced that we need a set of Camso tracks for our new Polaris Northstar. We have a place in the L Superior snowbelt with over 3’ of snow on the ground this morning. Drifts over 5’ deep. Lots to come.

I’ve rode a snowmobile my entire life with plenty of powder riding experience ……but trying to get around my property in winter is rough duty on a sled- at best. Breaking trail in deep powder isn’t done at a pace conducive to habitat work (throttle in “stole it” position)😂😂😂😂. Getting moving again after stopping to work CANNOT be done with any ‘ordinary’ sled…..think 24” wide track thats at least 150” long.

Online, I’ve watched my EXACT Polaris machine with camso tracks literally climb MOUNTAINS in 7’ of powder! Unbelievable !!!! It makes my place look like winter in Kentucky. I’m 100% sold it’s the perfect solution for my land.

I must have them.

My wife is more supportive than I ever could have asked for but she just laughed and said “well if it lets you use the ATV year round it seems reasonable.” Good luck on that last 20%!

I’ve been looking at tracks for my atv so anxious to hear how Wind Gypsy likes his… I have a brush sled (2005 Indy 500) and it gets beat to snot running through 3’ of powder in the woods. Sometimes I just don’t have a choice but to go over and through trees. It beats the alternative of getting buried and sometimes you just gotta throttle out of tricky spots…. My windshield is busted, the hood is cracked in a hundred spots, the belly pan is cracked but she runs like a top and gets me in and out of the woods all winter. Still December and my atv is already useless this winter.

Last edited:
I’ve talked for years about getting a wide tracked “work” sled for our property. They’re nice (Yamaha Viking??) but such a single task machine and not cheap at all.

$6k for tracks ain’t cheap either but switching back to wheels after the mud season makes it a true 12 month machine. Plus it has doors, heat, and a bed to carry all my crap.

I’ve also shopped Argo’s and I like those too, but I think tracks on a SxS might be almost as good.

My buddy put tracks on his CanAm Defender yesterday, alone, for the first time. Took him 2.5 hours but he said it would have gone much faster with a helper.

I bought a '23 Polaris North Star Ultimate Crew this fall. Really been enjoying breaking it in.....and getting some modifications done on it. Used it to plow on several occasions and have done some driving on the county roads and a few trails before the snows came. I live on a lake and if we spent the winters here....I would have those Camso tracks in a heartbeat. Normally we go to AZ in the winter.....but this year we got some health issues to attend to.....so were here. While I wont go many places due to deep snow....there are lots of interesting county roads and plowed roads on the ice to explore. I'm still in the 'break in" phase so I go pretty easy with it. Looking forward to regular trail rides next summer. Fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0884.JPG
    IMG_0884.JPG
    384.4 KB · Views: 20