Drag Harrows for ATV?

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Been eyeing them over the past year or two. Could do more food plots deeper in woods with something pretty portable. I have spring harrows, disc cultivator, and tire drag for my ATV.

How are the drag harrows around taller grass and brush. They get clogged up quick like my spring harrows. Hate to dump piles of organic material alongside the plot, slows things down too.

We use an aggressive wire harrow behind an ATV. Works well to loosen up the top inch or so for planting small seed, clover, brassicas, rye. You do have to kill off and clear down to pretty bare ground however.

Just picked one up last week. I want to use it to work up the areas I had mulched into food plots. Help clear off the larger debris and work the plots for seeding without discing so deep as to bring up all the weeds in the seed bed.

I've got one. It's a very valuable tool for leveling out dirt after a project. I've also discovered it doesn't clog like I wanted it too. It'll still roll materials forward, but it won't clog unless you get sticks in there, and that sucks. I tried to drag the leaves off my trails before gun season, and all the leaves just rolled right under the drag and went right back where they were.

it could be a great tool for scattering thatch after mowing if that material behaves the same way. I haven't tried it on rye thatch yet to see if that's the case.

Mine gets clogged with long grass and leaves. But it's very useful.

I've got one. It's a very valuable tool for leveling out dirt after a project. I've also discovered it doesn't clog like I wanted it too. It'll still roll materials forward, but it won't clog unless you get sticks in there, and that sucks. I tried to drag the leaves off my trails before gun season, and all the leaves just rolled right under the drag and went right back where they were.

it could be a great tool for scattering thatch after mowing if that material behaves the same way. I haven't tried it on rye thatch yet to see if that's the case.
Is there room to shove a piece of angle iron or something similar through the side? We've made a few at work for home use and one larger drag we use at work to smooth out the gravel area of our parking lot from time to time and the best one's were made of angle irons welded inside a frame. To be more aggressive we just put some weight on top if need be. You probably already know that but maybe someone reading could find the info helpful. For leveling wider is better. In a bind I've used an old mattress frame. Used it and it worked well. Then I parked it over by the weeds and found it the next year with the flail mower. THAT SUCKED!

I don't think there's room, but I'm not exactly sure where you're talking. I rigged up some carabiners on the back of mine so I could pull it face down and backwards, or with the teeth laying flat. Still haven't used that in the rye/sweet clover either. There was so much sweet clover, I didn't think the green snot would scatter, and I was short on time that day.

I have an old spring tooth drag that I haven't used for years now but to plug that one up all I had to do was pull it through some old dead grass probably 1 1/2 feet tall and the grass would get wrapped around the prongs(probably because I didn't want it to). I think I was missing about half of the springs/prongs on it too. Worked great in the open but could have been a little heavier to save some time and extra passes.