Mount for a Spin Spreader

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
I wanted to share some pics with SD on mounting a Herd GT77 Spin Spreader. He has one similar to mine. I cut a section of 2x2x1/4" angle iron about 18" long and drilled a few mounting holes for the spreader and welded it to a 2" receiver hitch bracket in order to raise the spreader about one foot higher than the front reciever on my Honda Prairie 700.

I have a front reciever (and a rear one) made by KFI which is all bolt on....thus I can run the spreader in front or back.....but I MUCH prefer the front so I can see what is happening. Then I run a 12 volt power cord with a switch to turn power on and off. I do have to get out of the cab to operate the rheostat to increase/ decrease the spin speed but that is a minor inconvenience.

On an ATV you could easily reach the slide gate over the handlebars to shut off the flow of seeds (or fertilizer) but I had to rig a rope and pulley system so I could operate the gate from the drivers seat. Pull the Red rope to shut it off and the green rope to open the gate. Easy / peasy. On an ATV you likely would also have an easier electrical hook up and access to. the rheostat.

I attached some pieces of bent round tubes I had to that front angle iron.....so that I could more easily set the spreader down on a rolling cart when not in use. Works well. I also bent and attached the "stabilizer rods" to that 2x2 angle.....and that keeps everything quite rigid and self contained. In use......I do add a couple of rubber bungee straps to keep things tight on rough ground.

Later this year I may also mount the spreader on a plate on my tractors front loader so I can lift the spreader high above my taller crops when overseeing rye and clovers in fall. Pics are worth a thousand words.

Thought this may be of interest to others.seeder.jpgtempImageevLnLX.jpgtempImageKzCT5B.jpgtempImagep8XRvg.jpgseeder.jpg

tempImageevLnLX.jpgtempImageKzCT5B.jpgtempImagep8XRvg.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a heavy duty unit! Any control over the seeding distance? Will it spin faster or slower or is it a fixed speed?

Looks good, I have the same setup, if you do not have the welding capability Herd/Kasco sells a receiver hitch mount that bolts up as well.

Looks like a heavy duty unit! Any control over the seeding distance? Will it spin faster or slower or is it a fixed speed?
yep...can regulate from about 10' to over 30 feet via that rheostat which controls the spin speed. Works well for me.....as I have various width trails and plots.

Looks good, I have the same setup, if you do not have the welding capability Herd/Kasco sells a receiver hitch mount that bolts up as well.
Yep.... gave Some brackets to SD for mounting the GT77 on the racks of his wheeler. But I no longer had that cross-piece. He tells me he cannot buy a receiver hitch fro the front of his Can Am......so he is trying to jerry-rig the Herd seeder to mount on the front..

I’ve been meaning to do something like that for years. Mines an embarrassment. It’s bolted to a 2X8 with lag bolts on the ends of the 2X8’s. The ratchet straps hook to those in the back of my side by side. Shameful, but it works…

Are you guys using this method for broadcasting fertilizer? Over seeding rye?? Seems like an inexact science that would need some room for error. I was given something that would work similarly but haven't tried it yet, have always chose to broadcast fert/rye with my solo while on foot.

Are you guys using this method for broadcasting fertilizer? Over seeding rye?? Seems like an inexact science that would need some room for error. I was given something that would work similarly but haven't tried it yet, have always chose to broadcast fert/rye with my solo while on foot.
I despise using a hand-held spin spreader and walking plots. Doing ten acres that way is way more work than I can do. So.....over time I have made my Herd seeder do everything from a few lbs of clover / acre to applying 50 to 100 lbs of rye to the acre. It can be quite accurate with a little effort. I have used mine for fertilizer once or twice.....but usually use my 3 point cone spreader for such things. I put seeds down with a drill whenever possible.....but sometimes I need to broadcast rye and clover into a brassica plot, etc.