Ticks

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
I’m happy to announce through intensive management I have a bumper crop of ticks this year it appears! Pulled 13 off of me between Saturday and Sunday and found two more in the truck on the way home. Buddy pulled 7 off one day turkey hunting. I spray down with permethrin and seems to do fine, but as soon as i strip out of work clothes it’s game on.
With that said my wife absolutely hates ticks. She is saying she isn’t gonna come back until it gets colder (that’s cool I said!) but I know it makes it my trips more frequent if she tags along for some. Any other remedies particularly for around the yard area of our cabin? I keep it mowed, but I’ve seen some thermacell bait stations and some homemade set up but didn’t know if anyone had any success?

You can spray the yard with permethrin, I know some people keep chickens around for that reason.

My wife was told to spread lime in the yard, but we haven't tried it yet.

My wife was told to spread lime in the yard, but we haven't tried it yet.

Normal ag lime doesnt do that, it needs to be hydrated lime, which is a little less friendly for everything in your yard.

I live 5.5 hours so I can’t do anything I have to keep alive!

Wife got this tixk bite last week. Immediately got put on antibiotics20190510_111337.jpg

Wife got this tixk bite last week. Immediately got put on antibioticsView attachment 24241
Good lord. That is brutal. I’ve never seen one do that. Was the antibiotics precautionary or is that what the symptoms of Lyme disease looks like?

I’m happy to announce through intensive management I have a bumper crop of ticks this year it appears! Pulled 13 off of me between Saturday and Sunday and found two more in the truck on the way home. Buddy pulled 7 off one day turkey hunting. I spray down with permethrin and seems to do fine, but as soon as i strip out of work clothes it’s game on.
With that said my wife absolutely hates ticks. She is saying she isn’t gonna come back until it gets colder (that’s cool I said!) but I know it makes it my trips more frequent if she tags along for some. Any other remedies particularly for around the yard area of our cabin? I keep it mowed, but I’ve seen some thermacell bait stations and some homemade set up but didn’t know if anyone had any success?
13 in a weekend, I wouldn't do anything beyond mowing. When you get north of 100 in a couple hours, I'd invest a little more.

I spray my clothes and boots down with permethrin and let it dry. I never have any issues as long as I wear the treated stuff, other than an occasional one walking on my arm, etc.

Yep get some good old horse spray permethrin concentrate. Mix with water and spray your clothes. No more ticks on you. I have the %’s written down but don’t remember them off hand.

Wow KS Gobbler I hope the antibiotics work that looks nasty

I found one on me about 10 days ago as well. That night I was really lethargic, got the chills, a headache and a major sinus infection. The sinus infection last 7 or 8 days and the headache a couple days. Fortunately the other stuff only that night. I hope it was unrelated to the tick. They are some nasty critters!

I had what my doctor described as a "Chronic case of Rocky Mountain spotted Fever a few years back. My only symptoms was an increase in joint pain. Antibiotics cleared things up. Don't put off going to the doctor if you get bit and start having problems.

I had what my doctor described as a "Chronic case of Rocky Mountain spotted Fever a few years back. My only symptoms was an increase in joint pain. Antibiotics cleared things up. Don't put off going to the doctor if you get bit and start having problems.
Did you have any indicators when you were bit such as the bite swelling up, turning red, etc.? Were your joint pains constant or off & on? Just curious what to look out for. I suppose there's also Lyme Disease to look out for as well.

They tested me for Lyme disease last year. The wifes antibiotics were to prevent disease.