All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is a full on head scratcher?

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
The wife and I were out at the farm Saturday morning, while I was swapping out trailcam cards she took a walk around the back pond. When I came out of the woods she was on the other side of pond and said there was an egg in the pond, I thought maybe some crazy late duck or an old duck egg...maybe turtle egg? She said it was bleeding? I said what does it look like and she replied size of a chicken egg but spotted....I said can you get it and she said I think so, she was wearing her rain boots.
I walked around the pond and she was holding a cracked wild turkey egg!

pyFojGl.jpg

I couldn't believe it this time of year and took a pic of it then broke it the rest of the way open and it had a fresh fully developed poult in it!

15rsRkt.jpg

Obviously a raccoon or something raided it out of a nest close by and lost it that morning but to have a hen nesting this time of year? I wonder if she was trying to bring off a second brood or she has had trouble re-nesting multiple times since April? I have never heard of such a late attempt.

That's crazy late. At least something got a meal. No way they would have made it through winter.