Thinking Out Loud

MO, that is one of the three I have focused on so far. Are any of the crops harvested on that property?

For anyone considering Iowa, I will submit the following map so you can compare some numbers. The black numbers represent the number of B&C bucks from that county as of Jan 2012.
Looks like pretty good hunting down in that south central portion of Iowa near the Missouri border, but it looks like the great hunting is in the NE corner of the state in the Driftless area along the Mississippi River. You know apples to apples and all.
iowa-county-map.gif
Doing a bit more digging around, it looks like there is more public ground in that area than I thought. Hmmm...me thinks I may have to start applying for preference points this year, given the county with the most "booners" in the state of Iowa is only 25 minutes from my front door.;)

MO, that is one of the three I have focused on so far. Are any of the crops harvested on that property?

There not a lot of crops harvested anywhere in My area, Yield was so good here that there is no room at the elevators. I would have to drive by this week and let you know.

There not a lot of crops harvested anywhere in My area, Yield was so good here that there is no room at the elevators. I would have to drive by this week and let you know.
I asked that question wrong- I guess what I'm wondering is if there is a requirement for the farmers to leave a certain portion of the crops. My planning for hunting season would change according to the expected crop situation in those areas. Don't go out of your way to drive by there on my account.

For anyone considering Iowa, I will submit the following map so you can compare some numbers. The black numbers represent the number of B&C bucks from that county as of Jan 2012.
Looks like pretty good hunting down in that south central portion of Iowa near the Missouri border, but it looks like the great hunting is in the NE corner of the state in the Driftless area along the Mississippi River. You know apples to apples and all.
View attachment 3584
Doing a bit more digging around, it looks like there is more public ground in that area than I thought. Hmmm...me thinks I may have to start applying for preference points this year, given the county with the most "booners" in the state of Iowa is only 25 minutes from my front door.;)

I have hunted the two most NE counties in both of my trips since it's only 2hr from my house but I'm not sure if my next trip will be there or not. The advantage of living close is that you could hunt Mid-Week and early when the pressure is low.

The question is then, did you score and what was your take on the quality of the hunting? Were you on public land? Looking at that scenario, I too would be inclined to try a different region of the state as well, or even north central MO or KS, especially if you were coming from any distance away and had to stay in motels or cabins when you were there to begin with. For me, living a half hour away, it's a no-brainer, it would make sense to just hunt in an area I could drive to everyday and save the expense of lodging.

Crops down there are good for late season, late late season. And I can not tell you what and how much they leave for the deer in that WMA, other than the past few years some crop has been left all winter. The deer have a lot of variety of browse to eat down there and concentrate most of the year eating that, and lots of acorns. I would not worry about if crop is left or not, there are farm fields all around, and corn and bean stubble is left unplowed because of notilling the next year. Plenty of crop for the deer to scavenge. Cover, acorns and creek bottom travel routes is what you need to concentrate on for hunting that area in my opinion.

If you do decide to come and look, shoot me PM I can show you around the area a little on where the most deer are seen traveling.

My hunt in 2008 was the most incredible week I've ever had in the woods. In 9 days of hunting I saw 35 bucks over 125" with 20 of those 35 going over 140" gross with the largest being a 170" that I had within 5 yes that I could not get to stop while chasing a doe. I walked way back in and had close to 400 acres all to myself this time and the deer obviously knew where the pressure wasn't. 3/4 of the hunt I killed a mid to upper 150's 8 pt slob but was using a Rage head that failed on the shot and I only got one lung even though on camera the shot looked perfect. With that said the deer went a long way and by the time I got to where he had expired someone else had already found him and took him. I did hear and ATV (not legal there) drive in the prior afternoon right in that spot so I'm sure it was them who took it. I heard though the grapevine that that chunk got hammered during shotgun and muzzleloader and they really cleaned house on the mature bucks. That was true because a buddy of mine the following year saw a lot of 2yr olds but was hard pressed to see a even a 3yr old in over 2 weeks of hunting.

While I could have went to other areas, in 2013 I was looking for redemption so I gave it a go again. What a change! The Iowa DNR cleared out my best spot so it was really open and now there was a lot more pressure. My other spots had hunters (from WI) real close now and were also way back in. They said they had buddies the previous couple years have success so that is why there were there. The first day I hunted I passed on the only 4yr old I had a shot at during the trip and that was because he was a only a 6pt around 120". Mind you they also suffered a hard winter and drought so rack sizes were down there too. While not what I was hoping for, I was seeing more action than the guys I knew back in WI so I was enjoying my time, I still saw a good number of deer and I relocated to a couple other areas. Over my time I passed on a few 3yr olds that many would be happy to shoot and saw a couple 4yr olds but they were both on private ground. The best day was Nov 6th where I saw 15 bucks that day. In all of the areas I checked, I only saw one buck harvested and that was a 3 1/2 yr old 11pt from another WI hunter (He was sure it was an 4-5 yr old so who am I to tell him differently and taint his success). The entire time I ran into hunters that had hunted the area before and they agreed that the increase resident pressure made it less than what it used to be. I also ran into a couple residents that acted like they owned a section of public ground and frankly got mad a me for hunting where I was even when they were not there.

For example one 750 acre parcel had 40 guys in there for early muzzleloader, all residents. Now bowhunting here one day you might only see 1-2 other guys hunting and the next it might be as high as 12. You used to be able to get over a mile back in and be alone but now there are guys just like you that will go way in too so that is just something you have to be mentally ready for and adjust where you sit.

After two seasons, hunting in October through Jan over 30 days...In my opinion it's a great area if you want to see does and younger bucks, it's a real good area if you are happy to kill a 3yr old, if you are after something older it can happen but it's not going to be an easy feat and may require a little luck that someone else doesn't mess your set (there are trout fishers here, turkey and small game hunters and those scouting for shotgun season). I would still highly recommend it for anyone looking to get their first buck over 125" or just wants to see deer. Will I go back? Probably at some point because I feel like I have a personal score to settle with the public ground and like the challenge.

The odds of a booner in allamackee or Clayton on public land are like winning the lottery. Some of those public areas have absolutely amazing habitat thanks to the iowa dnr. Hinge cuts and all, but a booner is unlikely.
I personally know of enough booners to put Clayton at the top of that list. I'm sure all counties could easily say that though.
I'm contemplating a mo gun hunt on public land. Im interested to see what all this fuss is about down there and it would be a poor man's trip.

The odds of a booner in allamackee or Clayton on public land are like winning the lottery. Some of those public areas have absolutely amazing habitat thanks to the iowa dnr. Hinge cuts and all, but a booner is unlikely.
I personally know of enough booners to put Clayton at the top of that list. I'm sure all counties could easily say that though.
I'm contemplating a mo gun hunt on public land. Im interested to see what all this fuss is about down there and it would be a poor man's trip.

If you had 14-16 days a season and gave it 20 seasons I think you would have a legit shot. Pre-2009 I would have said one would have a legit shot every other try but things change. *The qualifier is someone that knows what they are doing. That doesn't mean people should avoid trying.

Registered B&C

As I've said before not many Booners are ever registered in Iowa.

22 registered B & C bucks total in history of Decatur County Iowa??

Drurys and neighbors have probably shot a dozen just themselves.

There were 4 booners shot in my township the past two years in Warren? Doubt they registered the bucks.

Thanks for he tips guys! Once our internet is working again I plan on checking into it some more!