I'm curious why you mowed the day before spraying.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I didn't have the time so I chose not to spray till the following day, if I would have had time I would have done it all in the same day.

0f54c7974a40d092d0d8c97e19adaa05.jpg

I honestly didn’t know if this would work, but back in July I mowed down some rye that was overrun with Canada thistle. Just before mowing I tossed a couple of bags of birdseed sunflower into it, then mowed the whole mess down. Happened to peek over the hill yesterday, and lo and behold, sunflowers! Now I wish I had bought a sprayer and nuked it a week earlier... maybe next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0f54c7974a40d092d0d8c97e19adaa05.jpg

I honestly didn’t know if this would work, but back in July I mowed down some rye that was overrun with Canada thistle. Just before mowing I tossed a couple of bags of birdseed sunflower into it, then mowed the whole mess down. Happened to peek over the hill yesterday, and lo and behold, sunflowers! Now I wish I had bought a sprayer and nuked it a week earlier... maybe next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I add 40# of sunflowers to my LC cereal grains, they get wiped out when they are 6-8" tall.

I add 40# of sunflowers to my LC cereal grains, they get wiped out when they are 6-8" tall.

Do sunflower seeds need to get buried somewhat into the ground given how big the seed is or is thick thatch sufficient?

Do sunflower seeds need to get buried somewhat into the ground given how big the seed is or is thick thatch sufficient?
I tried T n M on my cereal grains this year so we'll see. In the past I would disc, broadcast and then set the disc to 1-2" and disc the seed in and then cultipack. I think they should work ok with T n M but we'll see.

Last edited:
I broadcast sunflowers into a T&M situation in June. Actually put the seed in the ground during a downpour. They popped right up and made it to all of 6-8" before they were buzzed of by my deer and there wasn't a sunflower to be found.

It was raining and it was an "expiriment" plot, so I had broadcast, then mowed and didn't cultipack or anything. Moisture got the job done.

I have another dumb sunflower question. Are the seeds that get planted the same black oil sunflower seeds people buy to feed birds; the ones with the shells on them?

I have another dumb sunflower question. Are the seeds that get planted the same black oil sunflower seeds people buy to feed birds; the ones with the shells on them?
I plant the ones for bird seed, I just bought a 40# bag for $11.

Yes, and they usually germinate just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pics yesterday of my TnM LC cereal grain mix planted 8/22, sunflowers and peas are up.

AS3Pnvo.jpg

KmBjtFT.jpg

I did a Throw N’ Mow plot on July 26. I planted 3# Radish, 1# PTT, and 2# Kale. I am guessing the plot is around 1/2 acre or a bit larger.

Pictures are from the day I planted and this past Sunday. We had under an inch of rain in August and yet it is producing a good crop. We have gotten a decent amount of rain in September.

2823b10b47f78720f402254ad7d01c4e.jpg
11aceefe3c0f9ee6a19542ebc319e155.jpg
1804b6ef0866eb46566a1530a91f6d0a.jpg
3d044c31285dcb05692da5615eb90a6c.jpg
ed468b65c5d944993fa64d9bb166318b.jpg

Pictures are from before and after mowing, This past Sunday, and showing radishes being used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST Fanatic. Plot looks spectacular.How much nitrogen did you put on that plot?

Wow! That's some pretty impressive stuff. under 6 weeks to boot!

ST Fanatic. Plot looks spectacular.How much nitrogen did you put on that plot?

0.00# of fertilizer. Just rotated it out of clover/chicory after it got weedy.

Next year it will go into soybeans with ZERO input.

As of 9-8-18 this is what I'm looking like. The rain has covered a lot of my "sins" and lack of thatch when it came to planting

Some rape I threw down and packed in a bonus area because it was prepped. This probably won't be hunted as I don't have a stand or good access to it at the moment, but it's growing

the woods above this plot is the sanctuary, and if you look closely, you can see the blind

Here you can see where 1/2 was tilled and the rest was thrown on due to time constraints that day. Both are growing, but initially, as predicted, the tilled is doing better

Brassicas and grains seem to work better than anything else for me on TM.

Some seeds surface broadcast much better than others. Most are small seeds that don't need much planting depth to germinate. Small seeded brassica like PTT work even better than larger seeded brassica like GHR but GHR works pretty well. Most white clovers surface broadcast well. For some reason, maybe it is my soils, WR surface broadcasts much better than Oats or WW for me. Buckwheat surface broadcasts well to. All seeds seem to germinate better if cultipacked.

T&M is much less effective for larger seeds that require more planting depth like soybeans and corn. For crops like this, a no-till drill is the ticket.

Thanks,

Jack

Wasn’t able to get to my property until this weekend due to scheduling issues. Rained the day before I got there, and my dad and uncle, who normally like to beat the ground with a tiller, didn’t think it wise to till wet soil. They are giving this Throw and Mow idea a chance.

Here are two plots I got pictures of. One of them, my cousin misunderstood the concept and beat the plot with the mower before we got the truck to the plot to spread seed, so a little extra had to be done to work the seed down.

Threw down mix of winter wheat, winter rye, oats, winter peas, crimson/ladino/berseem/med red clover, chicory, sunflowers, radish, and ptt

Good news - tons of moisture in the areas before we spread seed, and the nest day had drizzly rain most of the day for a total of 2” over the three day period.

Bad news - Not sure how well the herbicide spray did in the existing vegetation, for good measure we sprayed after mowing just to try something; also we are a little late for the area - first heavy frost date is about 30 days out
877B7F72-78DA-481B-AD9D-1C4675C7FEC3.jpegE5FCBC0C-4D8F-41FC-817E-5D4C2FC8997F.jpeg

I've had decent luck spraying after mowing, here's a pic of my LC cereal grain mix 10 days after planting. I'm sure there is grass/weeds coming up but there is oats and rye also.

LY28Dxe.jpg

0D5AD242-4F71-4F85-9AF0-A6451FAB1A4B.jpeg88407A0E-C83A-46A4-AB5C-7CCD660329A4.jpeg
Anyone know what is happening to my WR? The top photo is TNM planted around August 8th. (3 weeks earlier than last year) the second photo is also TNM planted a week later and appears to have no issues. Different seed source but planted and sprayed in similar fashion. I planted earlier than last year because I wanted more growth. I ended up getting way more than I thought. Going forward I will probably go back to Labor Day weekend like I did the first year.

A few notes: the first photo was TNM WR last year, with clover that I let go to seed. Both fields received the same amount of fertilizer . The second field was BW and triticale in the Spring and is a first year TNM field. The second photo was a hay field for years and has nutrient and compaction issues yet still looks better.