All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stump shredder project

....and I bet you would win that welding bet. ;)

Challenge him to being old and ornery - you'll kick his punk ass! :D

So I was pretty darn close on my 120 degree guess:

20150905_202724-1.jpg

I haven't checked the unbulged end of the outer shaft to see if the non-twisted part of the center section will fit it yet, but that'll happen shortly.

The bushing block held on for a long time before snapping. These used to be square to one another:

20150905_152534-1.jpg

Getting these apart could be tricky:

20150905_152432-1.jpg

20150905_152505-1.jpg

Neither retaining pin is budging at the moment. I'm going to disassemble the clutch and that'll hopefully get me to where I can put a gear puller or similar contraption on the shaft to separate them.

Not to ask a stupid question but, what do the commercial units that are sold have that you don't? Hasn't the engineering already been figured out?

^
images-3.jpeg

There's several different designs in the commercial realm. I'm doing things a little differently for my own reasons. Some worked great out of the gate, some not so much.

Second failure likely due to an over-rated PTO shaft. Should've handled 60hp, I have 53 available - it's twisted like a pretzel.

Jim, I am fascinated by your talent to make this stump grinder. I think you have put together a good design and it gobbles up wood like none-other. However, as predicted, the pivot joints are somewhat of an issue. But those joints are a problem on my Woods grinder too. Hopefullly a new PTO shaft (get a Weasler or other USA brand) and one more re-design of those pivot blocks will put you back in the game.

I can guarantee you that those factory units didnt hit the ground running on their first attempt either. ;) But those companies have deeper pockets to do this stuff. :)

I really applaud your creativity and grit. :) Stiump Grinders are one of the most demanding tractor implements I can think of.

This is a Weasler. Came from FF. Looks like some folks rate on 1K rpm and some on 540. Series 4 on 540 from one place is 35hp and 53 at 1K - that'd explain it if that's what mine was rated at.

This is a Weasler. Came from FF. Looks like some folks rate on 1K rpm and some on 540. Series 4 on 540 from one place is 35hp and 53 at 1K - that'd explain it if that's what mine was rated at.

Are you running the grinder on 1000 RPM? I think I would call Weasler.......although I doubt they will stand behind this. o_O

I can't say I've EVER seen a PTO shaft twisted like that.

FF will stand behind it. I think both the shaft and clutch are going back. I can get series 6 with clutch built in for less than what FF charged for these. Weasler has NO info on their parts on the shelf. I had to go looking online on my phone in the isle before deciding to buy them and apparently I still found bad info.

My PTO is 540, and I was only turning around 450 rpm, but I was very close to my peak engine torque of 177lb-ft.

^ Yep. Who wudda thunk you'd have those PTO shaft problems?

Found my receipt, and I got the clutch taken apart. I don't have a gear puller, so I'll need to scare one up tomorrow and get the clutch off the gearbox. I could make something, but I can rent one free. :D

Just pulling your chain Tooln. No offense intended. :) ....and I bet you would win that welding bet. ;)
Yea I know. Just given ya crap back.

Challenge him to being old and ornery - you'll kick his punk ass! :D

I'm thinking we are a lot closer in age them you think.

I didn't know you were 80? :p (j/k Tom!) :D

I didn't know you were 80? :p (j/k Tom!) :D

Young whipper snappers got no respect......;) Gonna start sayin' "I told you so" more often when you blow up those designs. :p

Fortunately it doesn't happen too often. :p :D

Fleet Farm came through like they always do - full refund. There's a reason I always get a free t-shirt at the CWC Fair (and wear it in public).

The gear puller did the trick getting the clutch off the gear box. Took a punch to get the retaining pin out of the splines, but it's all history now.

New driveshaft and clutch coming from Agri Supply. They said 5-7 business days. Hopefully my neck sorts itself out by then.

Should've just lopped the whole end off from the start, but I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the end of this tubing at the time. So I removed the damaged mounting plate with the plasma cutter and a couple cut-off disks:

20150910_161602-1.jpg

Then ground off all the welds:

20150910_161554-1.jpg

Then decided to use a piece of the 2.5" mechanical tubing the swing arm itself is made of for a clean butt joint. Only I made it long enough to get a gusset on the outside, which probably is completely unnecessary since I also welded it to the cylinder mount brackets too.

20150910_180033-1.jpg

Hinge brackets v2.0 are up next.

Perhaps you should back away from calling this a stump "shredder" and stick with "grinder".....like everyone else. ;) :D

Brooks called it that. :D

20150910_214011-1.jpg

Last edited: