Stump shredder project

Ready for some mounting holes.

20150910_235717-1.jpg

Had to settle my curiosity before really quitting for the night:

20150911_012513-1.jpg

No wiggling post-welding, so I'm ready to get them attached to the swing arm tomorrow. :)

It looks strong enough. Are you going to make them greaseable?

I can weld a cap on the ends with a zerk in it, but I might just douse them with oil before use.

Had to settle my curiosity before really quitting for the night:

20150911_012513-1.jpg

No wiggling post-welding, so I'm ready to get them attached to the swing arm tomorrow. :)

I like how you modified the handles on your clamps.

Those are factory rubber covers from Wilton that came with the clamps. I've had those for 8 or 9 years and it looks like they've changed them since. 4 of them have the covers and 4 don't (I have the covers in my tool box). I use them intermingled most of the time. Some areas the T handle won't fit, but it's a lot more comfortable to tighten with the cover.

Got the hinges done today and it's getting painted now. I've decided to try it without grease for the first go and see how that works. The arm only moves about 45 degrees and it's not like 3pt hitch parts are ever lubed either.

20150911_183208-1.jpg

These are 3/8" bolts but I might bump up to 1/2" when I do final assembly.

Good luck I hope it works for you this time. I have never seen rubber handles on clamps like that. The picture looked like a wooden dowel machined to fit. Wilton clamps are nice if you have the one you can reverse and either pull or push with them.

Good luck I hope it works for you this time.

It worked great last time until my pto shaft went 120 degrees past straight. :eek: And then I tried collapsing it with 18,000# force. :oops:

Do you have the new PTO parts yet? Looking forward to the next run results. Video would be nice (hint hint).

ASC hadn't even shipped anything yesterday when I called looking for a tracking number. I guess being in their 3 day zone doesn't mean a damn thing because she said I should have everything by next Friday. I'm pretty sure that's the last time I give them any money. So far, they've only charged half the order to my card and the other stuff would come out of their stores ("when they get around to it" was the impression I got). 5-7 business days means 9 to them. :mad:

Placed my order at 11am Tuesday.

^ Looking good Jim. I bet a shot of oil or chain grease will be fine on those joints. Put a little fluid film on when you store it for the year.

A blurb on Fluid Film. Yesterday I sold my snow blade that fit on my loader. Had coated the cylinders with FF a year ago. The guy wondered about the condition as there was lots of dirt on it. I wiped across the cylinders with my finger and it was like NEW under the dirt and film. :) He was gonna buy some FF too.

Tom
You've talked about FF before. Do you get it by the gallon & how do you apply it? Where have you found your best source to be?

Tom
You've talked about FF before. Do you get it by the gallon & how do you apply it? Where have you found your best source to be?

I buy it at my local JOHN DEERE DEALER. It's a spray can....and costs about $10 / can. I save it for battery terminals and important areas where corrosion is not wanted (like hydraulic cylinders). I guarantee that you will never be without this stuff again. Watch it when you put it on.....it "effervesces" and really works good. Amazing product.

Lots of guys buy it in large quantity and undercoat cars and stuff with it. They say it stops corrosion on autos. Don't know about that.....but I imagine it does.

It dawned on me the other day why so many grinders send the chips back at the machine - the wheel approaches with the kickback zone when rotating the way mine (and many others) is configured. So you need to either cut with the in-board part of the wheel, or straight down, but not with the leading edge to avoid bucking.

I ran short on tubing when putting my final bracing in and it didn't look as goofy upside down standing over it as it does naked in the driveway. Oh well. I got one of them directly under the top link mount and that's the important part.

20150913_093813-1.jpg

It's back together as much as it will to fit on my little trailer. Just waiting on Agri Supply for my PTO shaft now.

20150913_193801-1.jpg

Second half of my PTO parts were charged today. Still haven't gotten a tracking number on the first one. Looks like maybe Thursday for arrival at this point.

Just in time for the weekend.

My weekend can start about 3:15 tomorrow afternoon. I'm pissed the stuff isn't already here.

They also haven't charged about $90 of the total yet. $40's shipping - so they're still sitting on something big.

:mad:

My PTO vitals showed up on thursday, still no safety shield but we're functional.

I've got a video I'll post later.
20150919_162724-1.jpg
20150919_162330-1.jpg
20150919_162330-1.jpg

Sorry for the double pic. I can't seem to delete it via my phone.