All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stump shredder project

Great point foggy. Maybe once Jim gets those pressures under control this will be much less of an issue as well.

Well there's a little twist to this story. Like about 120 degrees in the PTO shaft that I can see with half the cover slid back.

Turns out the failure was caused by the shaft binding when I was trying to make it collapse.

I had trouble getting the PTO drive shaft off the PTO output shaft, so I took the cover back to get some room to get at it and found this:

20150904_204319.jpg

There's no oil leaking out of the tractor, and the PTO seems to turn true so I don't think it got harmed. My drive shaft on the other hand isn't going to be serviceable in it's present form. :D

I'd been noticing there was some movement in the bottom frame of the grinder (the I beam) when I was full tilt to the right (collapsed), but didn't realize it was from the shaft being pretzeled. When it let go was when I did a full sweep to the right and the L bracket bent first, then the tubing snapped off. I haven't tried getting the shaft off the clutch, or the clutch off the gear box yet. They weren't loose, but I don't know how much force it'll take to free them.

^ Ouch Jim! Not trying to rain on your parade here......but your asking allot out of this piece of equipment and your tractor in taking these big bites. Consider that you can do 1/3 the work at a time.....and conserve your equipment. Twisting that drive shaft is a powerful load. Just sayin'.

I wasn't taking big bites today though. I was just going 3/4-1" at a time.

Had to be lots of load to twist that shaft tho....no?

Yeah, I stalled out at 2K a couple times. So just over my torque peak. I guess I got the clutch too tight yesterday.

Class 4 drive shaft btw. Probably not strong enough, but it said rated for 55hp, and I only have 53 at the PTO.

Just go easy. I'd rather not read about how to regrind your crankshaft and straighten those connecting rods. ;)

Think of it like reloading.......and sneak up on the max pressure. ;)

I hope I dont see heavy duty twisted iron gates for sale in your future.Probably are cheaper ways to make them in your shop.

Wow, so much for the wood chip shots, you've got some big problems.
What's the plan?

What's the plan?

I'm taking a couple days to slow down and let my neck settle (had trouble turning my head on the drive home last night), and then I'm going to fix it. :p

I started taking it apart last night despite being in pain, and I almost have the center (twisted) shaft out of the sleeve. I stopped beating on the retaining pins on the u-joint and clutch around 10pm due to respecting neighbors, and will probably have to take the clutch apart to get it off the gearbox.

Last night I also looked at the parts diagram for the tractor PTO and found there's a bearing that might have been overstressed on the inside in back of that shaft. I'll need to check some other tractors to feel how their PTO's are before I decide to rip into that and replace it. It doesn't feel bad to me now, but I don't know what good feels like either. Might be damaged, might not. For the time being, I'm not overly concerned about it.

Good luck and I hope the damage wasn't to deep.

Last edited:
The PTO is super easy to service on this machine. The back cover comes off and it's right there. I think the hydraulic fluid has to be drained to do it though, and that's a bit daunting just because of the volume.

Checked out a 5300's PTO at the dealer and it's got more play than mine does. Looks like the tractor end of things is ok.

Good luck and I hope the damage wasn't to deep.
Boy do I feel l I keep a dope, sorry Jim its now edited.

I figured it was a typo. ;) I spent 2 years working in a call center with a bunch of mechanics who couldn't handle being under trucks anymore and those guy's typing was one step above hieroglyphics - kinda like txt has become (which is why I refuse to participate). :D

To prorperly edit your post: add one more "o" to the word to.....making it "too". To can be written in two ways - with one or two "o's". ;) To or Too. In your example it should have been Too. As in: "this post is too much". :D

....and don't get me started on the word: it. Because as EX POTUS Clinton told us.....it can be defined in a couple of ways too. ;)

My grammar maybe worth crap but I'd be willing to bet that I'll out weld you any day :p

Sent from a Droid phone.

Last edited:
My grammar maybe worth crap but I'd be willing to bet that I'll out weld you any day :p

Sent from a Droid phone.
Just pulling your chain Tooln. No offense intended. :) ....and I bet you would win that welding bet. ;)