Stump shredder project

^ Progress! That has to feel good for you! A looong time in coming.

Yep. Now I have to decide what to do about the existing trail and how to route the driveway up to the house.

. The cargo container gets moved tomorrow morning. :D

You'll have to let us know how skidding the container goes. There's a lot of dead weight there.

I'm not skidding it. I've got a rollback tow truck coming.

I'm not skidding it. I've got a rollback tow truck coming.
That's the best way to go. Skidding any distance would have been a chore.

If they send me Cody again, we'll have it moved in 15 mins. If I get another driver it might take a little longer. That guy is a surgeon.

Way to go Jim!!

Well, my guy quit to work for a different outfit and they sent a rookie. I asked if he wanted me to spot him, or hop in the cab - not knowing he'd just gotten his CDL 2 weeks ago and has been driving a flatbed for 6 weeks. He said "hop in", and I did.

He was 2' over from the center when the back slid off the edge. 20' from high ground on the correct side of the muck.

Then his boss got stuck from flying in over the first culvert.

So I had a 2.5T flatbed, 1.25T wrecker, and then a BIG class 8 wrecker on my road today, and the container is currently on the shoulder in the right of way again.

But my 1995 318i parts car drove through no problem after they all left and I regraded a bit.

Actually, after winching the flatbed out of the swamp and up on the road again, I used the tractor to pull it through, then regraded and he drove it back out with me spotting.

They left at 5:30. I'm tired.

Pics later. I need some breakfast, a shower, and a nap.

Sounds like a mess

Sure hope you weren't charged by the hour.

Sent from a Droid phone, using Tapatalk.

They didn't complete the job I hired them for.

They owe me an installed 24" culvert too.

Rough day all around.

^ Ouch. I can relate to "one of those days". Hope there are better days ahead!

When you gonna tackle some more BIG stumps? Video the performance? :D

I got my safety shield for the PTO shaft installed today. I still need to get some more work done on the FIL's shed and dumpy cabin before I'm back in the woods again.

Did another video the other day, figured I'd add it over here for those who haven't joined the rest of us.

Did another video the other day, figured I'd add it over here for those who haven't joined the rest of us.

That grinder can fling the chips! Always impressed with you mechanically inclined people. I guess we all have our talents, but mechanical is not mine.

How do you control (the speed) of the side to side shift? Seems like that would be the key to smooth operation. That thing really tears up the wood, tractor doesn't even sound like it's working.

-John

Gingerly control of the valve is how you vary the speed of sweep. When I have a little 8" aspen, I run a much deeper cut and a little faster feed and it'll load down the engine a little as it blows chunks of the stump everywhere. With the harder wood and larger stumps, I take a lighter cut and keep the cutters running smoothly as that seems to be faster in the end than when I try to bite too much and it catches the teeth and stalls the wheel (the new 2 disk clutch will actually slip where I have it set now). I could probably tighten the clutch a little more without too much risk, but I like how it's functioning and I have a good idea when I'm likely to get it hung up. I'd rather smoke a couple $8 clutch friction disks than trash the PTO gears with excessive shock loading.

My driveway progress wouldn't be possible without this thing. I hate to think what it'd cost to hire out all the stumps I've removed, but I'm sure it's approaching the half way point of breaking even on the parts for my grinder and I'm not at the house site yet. I'm not sure there's any wear on my teeth either. I haven't found any chips in them, and the sides don't appear to have worn through the excess brazing.

I need to stop doing "tractor tours" or start doing voice over audio in post. :D

Looks like most of the design kinks have been worked out, congrads. I'm with ya on the clutch disks and good to hear they are not that expensive. I need to check the ones on my brush cutter one of these days. Already put new blades on last year, them rocks don't give up easy on my trails...