Starting Over.

Yes, I don’t want it to reseed. Just from my cell cams you’re definitely more green still than my rye. Loaded up the truck/trailer and the sprayer is stayin home. I’ll prob mow tomorrow and spray gly when I plant in another 10 days.
What did your rye end up looking like? Do you think the seed was viable? I'm tempted to let mine go another five to seven days.

What did your rye end up looking like? Do you think the seed was viable? I'm tempted to let mine go another five to seven days.

Im not positive but I think most of it is viable unfortunately. Some heads were a little soft but most were hard. Hell of a lot of biomass out there with the banner balansa crop. I was short on PTO HP for my 6’ flail mower going through it. Makes me wonder if i shouldn't delay my fall planting to allow most the viable stuff to germinate before I spray/plant..

72947FFE-5CB5-4308-92E9-72FAD06B5272.jpeg
FE96B0FF-98C5-47A5-B4B5-5DB09B3222DF.jpeg

Last edited:
I think my surrounding neighbors with hay ground/cattle ops look at my plots of cereals and clover and curse me for leaving it lay rather than letting them bale it up haha!

@Foggy47 looks great my man.

I think you could crimp and spray 4oz of imox/raptor every spring. Then simply drill rye with a little clover each fall. And that be it. Not sure you need anything else.

Between your affinity for the herbicide and the CEB bullets, i'm going to start calling you raptor man.

Im not positive but I think most of it is viable unfortunately. Some heads were a little soft but most were hard. Hell of a lot of biomass out there with the banner balansa crop. I was short on PTO HP for my 6’ flail mower going through it. Makes me wonder if i shouldn't delay my fall planting to allow most the viable stuff to germinate before I spray/plant..

View attachment 66623
View attachment 66624
Have any clear pics of the field after the flail mowing?

Have any clear pics of the field after the flail mowing?
Not really. I took one of a clump that developed on one of the side "skids" because i was running the front of the mower too low for a while and you can kind of see what it looks like beyond it. It laid down a hell of a mat of biomass. In general, it is very evenly distributed. If I didn't have the front of the mower up a bit the skids on the side start grabbing a pile of mulch so there were a few bunches of mulch but mostly very smooth looking.
0D103356-9443-4F0C-AF3B-B1469C43CE22.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 66623
View attachment 66624

Do you guys with flail mowers and appropriately sized tractors purposely not post pictures of the work or them working to avoid making me feel bad about my life choices?

Cause I’ll be ok. I like flail mower pics. I don’t think a rotary mower would ever sell again if people got to see what they can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys with flail mowers and appropriately sized tractors purposely not post pictures of the work or them working to avoid making me feel bad about my life choices?

Cause I’ll be ok. I like flail mower pics. I don’t think a rotary mower would ever sell again if people got to see what they can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha here’s another unclear real time pic from my cell cam.
C930216A-36AF-4C56-B5FE-237E1E74FACC.png

Not really. I took one of a clump that developed on one of the side "skids" because i was running the front of the mower too low for a while and you can kind of see what it looks like beyond it. It laid down a hell of a mat of biomass. In general, it is very evenly distributed. If I didn't have the front of the mower up a bit the skids on the side start grabbing a pile of mulch so there were a few bunches of mulch but mostly very smooth looking.
View attachment 66628
Looks good in this pic. How does it do in the areas where your tires push the vegetation down?

Looks good in this pic. How does it do in the areas where your tires push the vegetation down?
Great. It does what they say they do especially when the mower is flat. I had it "nose up" for a while due to only having 28 PTO HP and it still does great but maybe not flawless when its not flat on the ground. When looking at the fields after you can see depressions form tire tracks but that is mostly from the next pass over from already mowed where the tires pushed down the already mowed mulch mat.

Great. It does what they say they do especially when the mower is flat. I had it "nose up" for a while due to only having 28 PTO HP and it still does great but maybe not flawless when its not flat on the ground. When looking at the fields after you can see depressions form tire tracks but that is mostly from the next pass over from already mowed where the tires pushed down the already mowed mulch mat.
Are you trying to keep the clover going underneath or getting rid of the clover? Sorry if it's already been said.

Are you trying to keep the clover going underneath or getting rid of the clover? Sorry if it's already been said.
I'm indifferent. The bulk of the clover is annual balansa from last fall or earlier planting which i'm assuming is largely terminated from mowing but there is lots of Medium red and some white clover in there as well and i expect that will forge on. Ideally most of the living/growing stuff gets through the mulch in the next 8 or so days so it is hit with gly when i spray immediately before planting.

Primary goals of mowing:
1. terminate rye before viable (I fear i was too late for most)
2. knock down all the standing biomass for the fall planted plot seed to grow through and get sunlight/deer access.
3. make it easier for herbicide to make contact with living plants before fall planting

I was going to suggest maybe mowing it again to chop what's down into smaller pieces if you're trying to salvage what's underneath. I mowed my plots and would up with some spots that were too thick for my clover to get through.

I'm indifferent. The bulk of the clover is annual balansa from last fall or earlier planting which i'm assuming is largely terminated from mowing but there is lots of Medium red and some white clover in there as well and i expect that will forge on. Ideally most of the living/growing stuff gets through the mulch in the next 8 or so days so it is hit with gly when i spray immediately before planting.

Primary goals of mowing:
1. terminate rye before viable (I fear i was too late for most)
2. knock down all the standing biomass for the fall planted plot seed to grow through and get sunlight/deer access.
3. make it easier for herbicide to make contact with living plants before fall planting
Are you going to use the Esch or the GP to drill through the mulch?

I was just about to put a real effort into selling the esch, until i saw that mulch.. not postive which i'll use yet though.
Why don't you pull both thru the duff to see what works for you. You dont need to put seed in 'em.....just compare the operation. My GP drill goes thru allot of stuff.