Starting Over.

Foggy do you have pictures of the same place from two weeks ago so SD can make his observations on fast the rye is being consumed. Please post if you can ty

Foggy do you have pictures of the same place from two weeks ago so SD can make his observations on fast the rye is being consumed. Please post if you can ty
I have the pics shown here.....and a few pages back. It's all dated.

I have the pics shown here.....and a few pages back. It's all dated.
I hooked an inch and a half of rain a few days ago. Did you get any of that?

I hooked an inch and a half of rain a few days ago. Did you get any of that?
Not a drop at Deertopia. I did get two inches at my home....about 10 miles south. Just missed me. Hoping to catch some rain in the next week.

Lookin good @Foggy47!

I'm debating how I want to terminate my plots this week.. Mow or spray.. Hard to spray from ATV with how high growth is. Hopefully i'm not too late on terminating my rye.. Want to kill some weeds with more than the flail mower though as well.

Lookin good @Foggy47!

I'm debating how I want to terminate my plots this week.. Mow or spray.. Hard to spray from ATV with how high growth is. Hopefully i'm not too late on terminating my rye.. Want to kill some weeds with more than the flail mower though as well.

I think the calendar has already done in your rye. I’m not sure spraying it would do anything at this point other than zap the other green things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It think the calendar has already done in your rye. I’m not sure spraying it would do anything at this point other than zap the other green things.

My rye seed heads are still not viable seed. I left about 2 acres of rye stand.....and hoping it will reseed itself for next year. I just checked mine today.....and it's still in the dough stage. Hoping another few weeks will make the seed viable.

It think the calendar has already done in your rye. I’m not sure spraying it would do anything at this point other than zap the other green things.

Guess I’ll see in the morning. Going to mow, roll, or spray tomorrow. If it’s still a little doughy mowing seems like the best path?

Guess I’ll see in the morning. Going to mow, roll, or spray tomorrow. If it’s still a little doughy mowing seems like the best path?

Are you hoping to get on it before it’s viable? It should certainly mow kill by now. I’m closer to the center pole than just about everyone now that Kooch has flown south. This was my rye on Saturday. There’s not much green left to absorb herbicide.

d84c25f9e0d9d6ec9bd9bc654bdac412.jpg

Sure.....if you don't want the rye to re-seed. that way you get the weeds and the rye......IMO.

I roller crimped mine two weeks ago.....and then I decided to also spray for weeds. Seems like it did the trick for me. I had more moisture at that point.....now?.... I dont know that I would spray.

Are you hoping to get on it before it’s viable? It should certainly mow kill by now. I’m closer to the center pole than just about everyone now that Kooch has flown south. This was my rye on Saturday. There’s not much green left to absorb herbicide.

Yes, I don’t want it to reseed. Just from my cell cams you’re definitely more green still than my rye. Loaded up the truck/trailer and the sprayer is stayin home. I’ll prob mow tomorrow and spray gly when I plant in another 10 days.

Center pole lol

I said I would post more weekly pics......these are two weeks after crimping my rye.......and last week I applied herbicide to the weedy areas. The heribicide seems to have worked pretty well......and I decided to hold off mowing until we get more rain. Clover keeps coming on strong now.....as the rye diminishes. Lots of deer in the plots at all times of the day.

Pretty happy right now......because a month ago I thought I had lost most of my clover. Not sure if I am going to see that yellow sweet clover. I'll sure get along with these results.....one way or the other.

View attachment 66519View attachment 66520View attachment 66521View attachment 66522View attachment 66523
@Foggy47 looks great my man.

I think you could crimp and spray 4oz of imox/raptor every spring. Then simply drill rye with a little clover each fall. And that be it. Not sure you need anything else.

@Foggy47 looks great my man.

I think you could crimp and spray 4oz of imox/raptor every spring. Then simply drill rye with a little clover each fall. And that be it. Not sure you need anything else.
Yeah....that could be very true if it didn't get so freaking cold here in October / November. When the temps dip.....that clover diminishes pretty quickly. Then....what I would have is rye.....which is not too bad at attracting deer.

But I try to also get some brassica planted which is a draw when those temps make the big swing. BUT.....I am slowly coming around to your suggestion here. I think I may try drilling some radish, turnips and rape into the clover NOW and see if some will come in for fall. Then drill again with rye and replacement clover in late August.

Also think about adding Oats.....but they are gone with a freeze too. Not many things stay viable here when it freezes hard......but for the rye and brassica. Rye is a pretty sound solution for me.

Yeah....that could be very true if it didn't get so freaking cold here in October / November. When the temps dip.....that clover diminishes pretty quickly. Then....what I would have is rye.....which is not too bad at attracting deer.

But I try to also get some brassica planted which is a draw when those temps make the big swing. BUT.....I am slowly coming around to your suggestion here. I think I may try drilling some radish, turnips and rape into the clover NOW and see if some will come in for fall. Then drill again with rye and replacement clover in late August.

Also think about adding Oats.....but they are gone with a freeze too. Not many things stay viable here when it freezes hard......but for the rye and brassica. Rye is a pretty sound solution for me.
I agree. Throw some brassicas in when you plant. Just not sure I would commit a ton of time and effort to it.

Yes. Putting a pre down no matter what. The worst soybean fields around here are conventional tillage with no pre down. They are train wrecks with all the rain we have had.

Soybeans planted on 4/24 50 miles west of Minneapolis
Fall chisel plow
Spring field cultivator 1 pass and plant (120# potash, 70# AMS)
Pattern tiled ground
Seeded at 82,500 population. Most of the old time pieces around here seed at 140-160k. Assgrow Xtendflex bean 1.0 maturity.
2 passes for weed control
Copious and unwanted rain amounts ( we have lots of damaged crops here)
Yield goal is 70-75 bushels per acre. They just need another 2" of well timed rain and they should yield really well if they can stay healthy. Lots of flowers and pods on them. Sprayed with fungicide yesterday. Hoping to harvest around Sept 20th.

IMG_1037.JPEGIMG_1039.JPEGIMG_1041.JPEGIMG_1043.JPEG

Your fields always look nice Buck. Do you mind sharing what your pre-emerge and post emerge chemical use are for the xtendflex beans and what weeds you're generally dealing with?

Your fields always look nice Buck. Do you mind sharing what your pre-emerge and post emerge chemical use are for the xtendflex beans and what weeds you're generally dealing with?

I had our local coop put down 5oz of Sonic for a pre. Needs rain to activate and you lay it down on top after planting and rolling. Want it to be like a blanket over the field. Always dealing with giant ragweed and the weed from hell waterhemp. Lately grass seems to becoming a bit more of an issue. For a post I had them spray 32 oz liberty, 30 oz round up power max, 3 pints of warrant (residual product to keep future weeds from emerging- needs rain to activate), then some crop oil and drift agents. I never like to let a weed germinate, and if they do I like them sprayed when small. Liberty is best sprayed on a warm sunny dry day when the crop is growing good. Program seems to have worked good this year. The Sonic is little harsh and will stunt the beans, but doesn't seem to affect the yield. They eventually pull out of it.

Foggy. Your observations on clover diminishing rapidly are on point when it gets cold up north. I don't have the time but planting 100 pounds of rye and then another 200 weeks later as jeff sturgis says is probably best. Me it's 200 pounds on labor day weekend. Curious how much ladino clover I should put per acre.

Foggy. Your observations on clover diminishing rapidly are on point when it gets cold up north. I don't have the time but planting 100 pounds of rye and then another 200 weeks later as jeff sturgis says is probably best. Me it's 200 pounds on labor day weekend. Curious how much ladino clover I should put per acre.
I been drilling about 120# of rye each Sept 1. Seems adequate.

The question on clover is that "it depends" ......on what you got going now for clover. I have a good stand of white and red clover going into each fall. I will add about 5 lbs of medium red and out 2 lbs of white (at a minimum) each fall. This rate assures that I have adequate clover in my seed bank regardless of what occurs over winter. I am planting this stuff into a decent stand of clover.....if I had less....I would plant more. I normally plant a few other things too.....as I want to keep all the good stuff coming thru.....and I try to "crowd out" any weeds.