Spring fever=work/play

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
This last week it has been pretty sunny, with temps in the lower 30's, the sun sure has felt nice. Well today the sun drew me out for some work. I broke out the chain saw and started opening up my food plots some, and feathering the edges out a bit. I also started clearing the canopy where I am planning on planting shrubs this spring. After an hour, I realized I am spending more energy walking through knee deep+ snow carrying a chain saw, then I was actually cutting the trees down. So I stopped, and I plan on waiting until there is less then a foot of snow. I did get about half of what I wanted cut down, down. I will cut them up when the snow is gone. I did get one stuck in some other trees, I left it there. I figured I will wait until there is less snow, so I can escape, and jump back easier to trim it down.

I wanted to drop some trees right now, it gives the deer some fresh new buds to chew on, and I need firewood for next winter, so if I drop them before the sap fills the trees, they dry a little quicker. Plus working when it is 20-40 degrees is much better then 80 degrees, sweating, swatting deer flys, and mosquitos, and walking through tit high ferns.

If I had the new Zubat I ordered, I would have gone out and started clearing a trail through some tag alders, it should be here Saturday though, so if it doesnt rain all day, I will start on that.

Sounds like a great day! Any day in the forest with a chainsaw where you don't have to run for your life at least once is a good one!

I was thinking about starting this weekend but we still have 2’ of snow so I am going to give it one more week. I will get one more ice fishing trip in this weekend then habitat season starts.

Had my chainsaw singing the other day as well, had a bunch of tree's that got tipped over from heavy ice that were not spring-ing back up, so,
cut them all down, made me a big pile and since i still have snow on the ground , built me a nice fire to get rid of things
nothing like a warm day after a bunch of very cold and icy conditions
felt good to be outside getting something done that in the end you can see the results
plus, I always like fires outside when snow is down, no worries about things spreading, IMO< its the best time of yr to burn brush piles!

I’ve gone thru 6 quarts of Tordon RTU in the last two weeks but it’s been in the 60’s-70’s here in southeastern Kansas. I’ve been crown releasing oaks and walnuts. Oaks for the deer walnuts for $$$ later in life.

I was thinking about starting this weekend but we still have 2’ of snow so I am going to give it one more week. I will get one more ice fishing trip in this weekend then habitat season starts.
That’s about what we have here as well, but I have been wanting to get out the last couple weeks to get some down for the deer. Buds are just starting to swell, so I figured it was a perfect time.

NE WI has been going thru a bit of a melt this week with some sun and temps hitting 40s, especially over by Green Bay snow is mostly gone. Saw and heard a lone scout first sandhill crane tonight. Was on 3/7 last yr. Winter is losing its grip but sure we'll get the melt, snow, melt, snow cycle another month.

Had my chainsaw singing the other day as well, had a bunch of tree's that got tipped over from heavy ice that were not spring-ing back up, so,
cut them all down, made me a big pile and since i still have snow on the ground , built me a nice fire to get rid of things
nothing like a warm day after a bunch of very cold and icy conditions
felt good to be outside getting something done that in the end you can see the results
plus, I always like fires outside when snow is down, no worries about things spreading, IMO< its the best time of yr to burn brush piles!
The harbingers of spring.....

.......dandelions blooming,elms budding, "chainsaws singing"......

bill

I may have a little while before I see any dandelions, but just the warmth of the sun put me into spring mode.

2AAEF588-410C-440E-9F0F-D9BE6A46CBE7.png